Change Graf Cowling

GoalieNut

Like the title says, I'm looking to change the cowling on my Graf skates.  Is it as simple as swapping them out to another brand?  They are a size 9.5.  Do I put a size 10 cowling on?  I plan on getting my local skate guy to do the swap but will order the cowling and blades myself.  Any feedback is appreciated!

I did exactly that. I had G50's, I liked the boot, but wanted STEP steel and the new cowlings. I ordered the stuff, took it to the hockey shop, and the guy drilled the holes and whatever to make it work. Going on I think like 5-6 years strong with them now.

For the size, I don't remember, I think the cowlings are good for a full and half size, so I think 9 or 10 should be OK, but I'm not sure which way exactly. Just shoot Goalie Money or whoever an email and ask, they'll set you straight.

It’s whether or not you can get the Bauer cowls. I think they are still available on Bauer custom skates, but the aftermarket blades are not regularly carried by the dealers. Since Step was bought by CCM, I don’t know how easy it is to just ring them up and get a pair of runners. My suggestion? If you find size 10 Vertexx cowls and Step blades, buy two sets of cowls and as many Step runners as you can! They are not old enough to be ancient stock, and you could find an independent dealer that has a good supply. But it’s going to be more work to find replacements. Buy plenty…

I bought up the Step Vaughn steels like they were going out of style and glad I did as finding them now has proven EXTREMELY difficult. I just went away from cowls, but have enough blades just in case I decide to take a trip down memory lane.

One other option, albeit very expensive, is a Swiss company that still makes cowls and their own blades. Bobrovsky was using them. Can’t recall the name. We’re talking serious money. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

It’s whether or not you can get the Bauer cowls. I think they are still available on Bauer custom skates, but the aftermarket blades are not regularly carried by the dealers. Since Step was bought by CCM, I don’t know how easy it is to just ring them up and get a pair of runners. My suggestion? If you find size 10 Vertexx cowls and Step blades, buy two sets of cowls and as many Step runners as you can! They are not old enough to be ancient stock, and you could find an independent dealer that has a good supply. But it’s going to be more work to find replacements. Buy plenty…

I bought up the Step Vaughn steels like they were going out of style and glad I did as finding them now has proven EXTREMELY difficult. I just went away from cowls, but have enough blades just in case I decide to take a trip down memory lane.

One other option, albeit very expensive, is a Swiss company that still makes cowls and their own blades. Bobrovsky was using them. Can’t recall the name. We’re talking serious money. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Can I go with a size 10 cowling on a size 9.5 boot?  Will that work or do I need a size 9.5 cowling?  And it sounds like the brand doesn't matter?

4 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Can I go with a size 10 cowling on a size 9.5 boot?  Will that work or do I need a size 9.5 cowling?  And it sounds like the brand doesn't matter?

Cowls are in whole sizes. Graf tend to run smaller (i.e. size 8 Graf is size 7.5 in anything else), so a 10 would work.

2 hours ago, GoalieNut said:

I have seen size 7 Graf cowlings on a size 8 Graf boot, so it is likely you can go with either a 9 or a 10.  Bit of a toss-up when you're crossing manufacturers.  My Graf cowlings did not fit on my True boots.

Here's one option, guy is selling a full skate (boot + cowling + steel) and also a spare cowling + steel.  Steel is marked size 10, I couldn't make out what it was on the cowls.  Flip the skates after you've installed the spare cowling

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-skates/4006490-graf-g9035-with-2-pairs-of-step-steels-and-extra-cowlings

You can always call Vaughn to see what stock they have.  If they don't have any or cannot sell direct, ask them for any matching POs placed by a retailer and contact them instead.

If you're contemplating going with a holder, I have it in a group chat somewhere (I think with @SaveByRichter35) that a Graf rep did NOT recommend doing so unless you are in the 7500.

6 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Ok, it doesn't have the screw so he is correct.  Thanks!

It is also old enough that you NEED a cowl, not from the lack of outsole but from the boot lacking sufficient protection for shots. If worse comes, I do know someone who could clad your boot with composite material so you could run a holder.

10 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It is also old enough that you NEED a cowl, not from the lack of outsole but from the boot lacking sufficient protection for shots. If worse comes, I do know someone who could clad your boot with composite material so you could run a holder.

I'll either try to find new cowlings and steel or just make the switch to the new cowling less skates.