Jock Elastic Crapping Out

I have an old Vaughn Vision jock that I've been using for the past 5 years for ball hockey. I was at a stick and puck earlier today, and I noticed that the elastic crapped out. I tried tightening it in the locker room, but that didn't work. I tried reconfiguring the Velcro. It had been shaky before, but I feel that I can't keep playing with the jock as it is.

How do I replace the elastic bands in the jock? The large one is in slightly better shape, but I feel that all 3 need to go. If it helps, I'll make an update with a photo. 

If it needs to be replaced, what is a good double cup out there? 

Can't give any advice for fixing it as I'm not too handy with the sewing machine. You could also look into bringing it into a shop that'll fix it but depending on the price you might as well get a new one. 

If you're looking for a new jock I recently made the jump to the Vaughn Ventus SLR Pro Carbon Double Cup.

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

All the elastic in my cup is stretched out. I tie everything down to the appropriate tightness now. Even the waist strap. You could do that if the rest of the cup is still in good shape and functional. 

How do you do that? Do you use tape or something else? 

I'll look into the Vaughn Ventus SLR Pro Carbon double cup, see what type of stuff PAW makes, and see if there are any good jocks floating around on Sideline Swap. I'll go to the shop in the next few days to ask if they can fix my jock's elastic. If not, I'll order a replacement. 

3 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

How do you do that? Do you use tape or something else? 

I tie a knot at the clip or loop to secure it. I did it while wearing the cup to get the right fit

3D596ED8-A5DD-4076-889C-E596F6C45436_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2c0c9f6e14bbd0472f5222a00dd6a2e0.jpeg

The clip below broke when I attempted to tighten it once, so I had to improvise by tying a knot instead. I soon realized I should do that at the other adjustment points for better fit. You'll just have excess strapping to tuck away. The waist strap is still using the velcro attachment, but only to keep the rough side of the velcro from damaging the pants. The waist is really secure by the knot I made. It's not pretty looking, but it works.

397EA82C-F38C-4655-ADB7-8D122896F001_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.16a418d9c40d569308172fc8dff0d639.jpeg

6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I tie a knot at the clip or loop to secure it. I did it while wearing the cup to get the right fit

3D596ED8-A5DD-4076-889C-E596F6C45436_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2c0c9f6e14bbd0472f5222a00dd6a2e0.jpeg

The clip below broke when I attempted to tighten it once, so I had to improvise by tying a knot instead. I soon realized I should do that at the other adjustment points for better fit. You'll just have excess strapping to tuck away. The waist strap is still using the velcro attachment, but only to keep the rough side of the velcro from damaging the pants. The waist is really secure by the knot I made. It's not pretty looking, but it works.

397EA82C-F38C-4655-ADB7-8D122896F001_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.16a418d9c40d569308172fc8dff0d639.jpeg

My jock is so old that it doesn't have clips. It's great that you were able to find a creative solution to extend the life of your unit. 

For a price of a new one and thinking what it protects, and how much does it hurt when it doesn't do the job. I'd easily pay the price for a new one when my jock is falling apart. Then again I'm using Warrior Xpro which hasn't changed that much over the last years so wouldn't have any adaptation to do when changing to new one.

I can't really say how much a new elastic set would cost installed but it'll probably take an hour of work plus a bit of material so less than new jock. Is it worth it?

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

For a price of a new one and thinking what it protects, and how much does it hurt when it doesn't do the job. I'd easily pay the price for a new one when my jock is falling apart. Then again I'm using Warrior Xpro which hasn't changed that much over the last years so wouldn't have any adaptation to do when changing to new one.

I can't really say how much a new elastic set would cost installed but it'll probably take an hour of work plus a bit of material so less than new jock. Is it worth it?

It all depends on how much the rest of the jock is falling apart whether or not it’s worth just replacing straps or the entire unit. When I had the main strap replaced in my Vaughn LT88, the rest of the jock was in perfect working order. The main strap was just stretched. 

I wear leggings OVER my goal jock and it stays in place perfectly. That is something I do NOT want to move. I had that happen ONCE and it was neither comfortable or painless! 

I understand your point. I see some peoples’ goal jocks held together with tape and whatever else and I shake my head. I have known two people who have had testicles removed from groin shots in other sports. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

My mom sewed some of the elastic together, so it's a temporary solution. Right now, I'm in the process of ordering a new jock from PAW. Hopefully it arrives soon. 

• Like 1