Adidas looking to sell CCM

old G

42 minutes ago, old G said:

This is nothing new. Since Adidas acquired Reebok they have been trying to sell the hockey division.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/adidas-plans-to-sell-ccm-hockey-brand/article34237314/

I believe that's part of the reason Reebok was removed as a brand. Makes it easier to sell. 

On a side note, how much more popular does CCM look now that Reebok is gone?

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

Maybe it's just me but ccm wasn't a goalie brand in my youth. 

Billy Smith was probably one of the most famous users of their blocker. They had more of a presence in goal sticks than anything. Cooper gloves were much more popular, then Brown and later Vaughn when it was JUST Mike Vaughn doing it all. Now- in the post moulded masque era- you saw CCM HT-2 helmets with HM-30 cages almost as much if not more than the SK2000. 

11 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Billy Smith was probably one of the most famous users of their blocker. They had more of a presence in goal sticks than anything. Cooper gloves were much more popular, then Brown and later Vaughn when it was JUST Mike Vaughn doing it all. Now- in the post moulded masque era- you saw CCM HT-2 helmets with HM-30 cages almost as much if not more than the SK2000. 

Fuhr wore it for awhile and obviously there was Heaton / CCM too 

In my head Koho by Leferve and CCM by Lefevre is pretty much the same. Reebok by Leferve will always be weird to me 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Fuhr wore it for awhile and obviously there was Heaton / CCM too 

In my head Koho by Leferve and CCM by Lefevre is pretty much the same. Reebok by Leferve will always be weird to me 

I was really not fussed by Reebok, but knew all along that the name would have about a 10 year run max in the sport, kinda like Nike did. I remember when Nike took not one, but two stabs at cycling. The first stab was an abject failure, the second was better with Lance Armstrong as their star athlete; albeit the fact that the swoosh was just put on another company's gear was thinly disguised. Nike golf was a failure, as well. 

I think what was learnt was that sticking a popular shoe/apparel logo onto gear doesn't pay off in the long run. Just buy a brand, keep the name and heritage intact so if it doesn't work out, you can sell. It costs a lot to work a new name into the mix. 

On 3/12/2017 at 8:55 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I was really not fussed by Reebok, but knew all along that the name would have about a 10 year run max in the sport, kinda like Nike did. I remember when Nike took not one, but two stabs at cycling. The first stab was an abject failure, the second was better with Lance Armstrong as their star athlete; albeit the fact that the swoosh was just put on another company's gear was thinly disguised. Nike golf was a failure, as well. 

I think what was learnt was that sticking a popular shoe/apparel logo onto gear doesn't pay off in the long run. Just buy a brand, keep the name and heritage intact so if it doesn't work out, you can sell. It costs a lot to work a new name into the mix. 

I agree Nike has accepted their fate as a soft goods company. However... I always go back to the original Vapor skate. 

That was a ground breaking product. If Nike had made that the Nike line and kept Supreme as Bauer, I think we'd have a totally different hockey equipment world today 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I agree Nike has accepted their fate as a soft goods company. However... I always go back to the original Vapor skate. 

That was a ground breaking product. If Nike had made that the Nike line and kept Supreme as Bauer, I think we'd have a totally different hockey equipment world today 

I was not in the world of hockey when the Vapor skate was around, but I was watching from the outside. I was more or less lamenting the lack of Canadien, Winwell, etc. in the hockey stores at the time, lol. 

I still know a few who clamour for that Vapor skate. I know one who bought several pair when he knew that was his skate. He bought more when on clearance. This bloke is on his last pair. 

Adidas is selling a lot of their equipment manufacturing...mainly hockey and golf.  It appears to not be very profitable, not to mention adidas has been focusing on the apparel market, much like Nike has recently, that's where the money and growth are.  They wanted Reebok to be their "fitness" brand as part of their growth strategy, they could careless about hockey.  They tried to sell CCM a few years ago because it was operating at a loss, but they managed to turn it around and increased sales 18% from 2013-2015.  In 2016, CCM was expected to be top dog in the skate and stick market, which should be the bread and butter of hockey equipment sales.  Instead sales dropped 13% and was mainly attributed to skates and sticks flopping.  May not seem like much, but when you consider the amount of R&D that goes into it, which is all cash, taking a hit like that is bad for business.  Market conditions are not good for the hockey equipment world anyway, sales are declining 8% year over year in Canada alone and with retailers like TH filing for bankruptcy, I'm kind of curious to see where things are going.  New Balance is private so I can't see how Warrior hockey is doing, but I'm curious if they've just been hanging out waiting to takeover, kind of like how they did with lacrosse in the mid 2000's when they acquired Warrior and Brine.  

On 3/13/2017 at 8:44 PM, TheGoalNet said:

The one with the clear cowling?  What was so good about it?

Archived