Pad fitting questions.

GoalieInTheDesertYT

NOTE: this thread will be for all types of gear.

I am unable to try on pads because I live in israel.

It’s been a while since I last purchased pads. The pads I bought were 1s od1ns, we all know how the durability on those are.

so it’s time for new (used) pads. When I bought these pads I thought I would grow into them, my body had other plans.

Question 1) what size should I wear? I’ve been using a 1s medium and I am landing on bottom right of the knee stack (if I’m lucky)

my atk is 16/16.5 and I am 5’8 (pic below)

Question 2) what pad should I use? Before I started using my 1s pads I used to play as a more athletic goalie. Once I got the 1s I had to dial that back because I had trouble getting into stance since they were too tall. I’m hoping once I get into smaller pads I can get back to that play style. 
The most comfortable I’ve been on ice was using warrior swaggers (31+1). Even though they didn’t slide well at all.

A5E46165-873B-4161-98F8-6038358CAC6A.jpeg

FEA95637-E465-4DC6-B685-213734C61151.jpeg

88BB93F1-6CBE-494C-A2C0-2FAAF6B9435E.jpeg

6EACDBD6-0484-4635-B3C7-3F7234894EBE.jpeg

My measurements are pretty similar to yours and I've been comfortable in both a 32+2 and 32+1.5 Warrior.

I've tried a small Bauer Vapor 2x Pro and the fit was fine as well, but I didn't love the pad.

Currently I'm wearing a JRZ Fusion in 32+1.5 which play a bit taller than the Warriors but are working out. 

In a Brian's pad, I've tried Opt1k in a 33+1 (too tall all around), Optik 2 in a 32+2 (good in the knee, too tall in the thigh), Gnetik 3 in a 33+2 (once again too big). 

Don't know how much this will help your search, but that's my experience. 

4 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

My measurements are pretty similar to yours and I've been comfortable in both a 32+2 and 32+1.5 Warrior.

I've tried a small Bauer Vapor 2x Pro and the fit was fine as well, but I didn't love the pad.

Currently I'm wearing a JRZ Fusion in 32+1.5 which play a bit taller than the Warriors but are working out. 

In a Brian's pad, I've tried Opt1k in a 33+1 (too tall all around), Optik 2 in a 32+2 (good in the knee, too tall in the thigh), Gnetik 3 in a 33+2 (once again too big). 

Don't know how much this will help your search, but that's my experience. 

Thanks a lot for the input, I was thinking about moving to a 33 but with your input I may have to move down to a 32. Makes sense if I’m moving down from a Bauer S to a M.

I may have to try on my swagger 31+1

24 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

Thanks a lot for the input, I was thinking about moving to a 33 but with your input I may have to move down to a 32. Makes sense if I’m moving down from a Bauer S to a M.

I have a 16.5" ATK and I'm in a 33+1.5 Warrior (RGT, RGT2, G5) and a Small Bauer. 

I don't think you'll have too much issue with 32 or 33 for sizing, but just wanted to chime in along side @insertnamehere

36 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

just recalled that I've also used a 33+1.5 Warrior back when I had G3s, and there is a negligible difference between that and a 32+2 G5. 

57 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

How would you compare the sliding between the Bauers and warriors?

Personally, I have not worn Warrior since GT2. Most recent Bauers I have had are Ultrasonic, Hyperlite and Mach. I think Mach slides the worst out of the Bauer pads so far. If you're looking to get Hyperlite or an older set of Ultrasonics, those slid better than the Warriors, at least for me.

41 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

What about ccm sizing? I heard they run a bit big.

I put together this pad sizing comparison chart based off catalog/custom gear size charts. The Bauer (BAR) size chart is a little off because their catalog doesn't report actual numbers - but it should be pretty close.

As CCM and Warrior pad sizes go up, it gets a little wonky. CCM gives 1" intervals for their pad sizes, while Warrior uses 0.5" intervals. This results in CCM "catching up" and the two brands fitting different at 33" and above.

Sizes.thumb.png.e6e64f9df9746e7b090d3aff52412217.png

Sizes are pulled from the 2023 CCM catalog, 2022 Warrior Catalog, 2022 Bauer catalog so it should be very current.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

How would you compare the sliding between the Bauers and warriors?

Bauers blow my Warriors out of the water in comparison. To the point that I felt the sliding ability of my Bauer's were a detriment to my game because they were so good. 

Personally, I have not worn Warrior since GT2. Most recent Bauers I have had are Ultrasonic, Hyperlite and Mach. I think Mach slides the worst out of the Bauer pads so far. If you're looking to get Hyperlite or an older set of Ultrasonics, those slid better than the Warriors, at least for me.

I barely notice a difference between my GT2's and G5's for sliding capability. No idea if the "airslide" actually has any tangible benefit, but I won't rule it out either. 

2 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@GoalieInTheDesertYT I could have helped as my parents are going back to Israel but I think they are stopping in Germany, my dad's sister lives there. 

Don't think we can work away around it. 

The problem isn’t getting the pads it’s more being able to try on pads and getting the right fit before I buy.

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Bauers blow my Warriors out of the water in comparison. To the point that I felt the sliding ability of my Bauer's were a detriment to my game because they were so good. 

I barely notice a difference between my GT2's and G5's for sliding capability. No idea if the "airslide" actually has any tangible benefit, but I won't rule it out either. 

Interesting, I saw a pair of g5s for pretty cheap on SidelineSwap. I may look into hyperlites now.

I was also thinking about axis but I’m not sure how the reviews and sizings are.

8 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I put together this pad sizing comparison chart based off catalog/custom gear size charts. The Bauer (BAR) size chart is a little off because their catalog doesn't report actual numbers - but it should be pretty close.

As CCM and Warrior pad sizes go up, it gets a little wonky. CCM gives 1" intervals for their pad sizes, while Warrior uses 0.5" intervals. This results in CCM "catching up" and the two brands fitting different at 33" and above.

Sizes.thumb.png.e6e64f9df9746e7b090d3aff52412217.png

Sizes are pulled from the 2023 CCM catalog, 2022 Warrior Catalog, 2022 Bauer catalog so it should be very current.

Is FTK the same as ATK? 

21 hours ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

Bauer runs small, so you may have to order UP a size from what you would usually expect. I have an 18" ATK/21 FTK, which would correspond to a 35 from most manufacturers (except Warrior), but because Bauer runs small, I need 36/XL Bauer pads. If your normal size is a 32, you need an S (33) in Bauer to get the same fit. 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

Bauer runs small, so you may have to order UP a size from what you would usually expect. I have an 18" ATK/21 FTK, which would correspond to a 35 from most manufacturers (except Warrior), but because Bauer runs small, I need 36/XL Bauer pads. If your normal size is a 32, you need an S (33) in Bauer to get the same fit. 

I’m currently using a M in Bauer and that’s my problem.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

Thanks! I have been seeing a good amount of slr2’s on the swap for good prices. I was thinking about picking up a pair.

Don't think there's too many negative reviews on them. Like most Vaughn products, they don't excel as the best of any category, but they put out solid gear that has a great feel to them. 

It might be an height ego thing, but I see way too many goalies in pads that are too big for them.

Some certainly make it work, but most have some type of issues with their movements. I'm not amazing by any means so maybe I'm wrong on this, but I feel that a pad that's a bit small is much easier to handle than pads that are a little too big. You'll make more saves through movements rather than the 1" extra size of your pads (I guess it's technically 2"). 

All that to say: I think it may be hard to believe that you need "short" pads, but it's probably the right size.

Edited by johncho