What breaks are these gloves considered?

OldSchoolGoalie

I've decided to side line my main glove because I simply use it more as a secondary blocker more than anything which in itself is super bad, and it doesn't close well. I really have a thing for older gear, so this is my Heaton S2000 which is just a big glove overall.

image.png.a34e94f80a8d0e493b5841efc0b69331.png

I never could really catch much, and unless the puck got into the pocket it would just pop out anyhow. Stick handling was horrible, and if I had to actually shoot the puck I could never grip over, always had to keep the glove behind the stick.

So I'm using my other set (catcher/blocker) Sherwood GM 7000 now which closes very nicely and feels much more natural, just wasn't sure on the break as I hear about the 580, 590, 600... No idea about any of this stuff. It goes over the shaft of the stick perfectly as well so now I can finally shoot the puck without my glove behind.

image.png.c6730c23b6740cfcb7252a39b3df2dcf.png

image.png.dc34361b1ec138e9052ce72b860231c4.png

I used a glove similar to this in the past during inline and really liked it, but had to give it up back then. Now that I'm trying this one I'm very curious on the break and what this falls under.

The S2000 is a very unique break that you'll find on older Brian Heaton designs (Heaton and some older Brian's gloves), that doesn't really have a modern equivalent.  I loved Brian's and Heaton gear back in the day, but HATED the way the gloves felt.  They were very much a love it or hate it deal and I was more of a D&R or Vaughn guy. 

It's been a long time since I've had one of those SherWood gloves on my hand, but I remember liking them and thinking they were a comfortable break for me.   I'm a 600/UltraSonic/VE8 or VE9 guy.  If you get the chance to try those on, you will probably feel at home.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

The S2000 is a very unique break that you'll find on older Brian Heaton designs (Heaton and some older Brian's gloves), that doesn't really have a modern equivalent.  I loved Brian's and Heaton gear back in the day, but HATED the way the gloves felt.  They were very much a love it or hate it deal and I was more of a D&R or Vaughn guy. 

It's been a long time since I've had one of those SherWood gloves on my hand, but I remember liking them and thinking they were a comfortable break for me.   I'm a 600/UltraSonic/VE8 or VE9 guy.  If you get the chance to try those on, you will probably feel at home.  

Is that Sherwood GM 7000 considered a 600 break or in that range? The glove is a bit of a blast from the past. :D I really like the feel of it so far! I'm a bit happy to retire the Heaton, it just wasn't functional for me. 

I wont have ice time until Friday, but I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I need to get use to is not having that massive surface area open, but on the plus side I can at least close the mit shut, plus use it with an over grip on my stick to shoot.

It's been SO long since I've had a SherWood glove on my hand, so I can't be sure.  However, given that I recall liking the feel, and that I'm a pretty hardcore 600 break guy, I'd guess that if you're liking that glove, the 600-ish breaks will be what you're after.   

There's definitely a change going from old NHL legal to new.   My changeover was even more dramatic as my last glove prior to switching to the new, smaller gloves was a Battram XLP, which was built several inches larger than old-NHL legal!  However, it only took a couple icetimes to figure out the smaller glove and there's no way I'd ever go back to the old, heavy gloves of the past.    IMHO, making the gear smaller backfired on the NHL in their quest for more goals.

• Like 1

I agree the Sher-Wood would be closest to the 600. I also think IF we have to throw the S into today's terms, it's a 600 also

FWIW - Heaton actually started the discussion and terminology 60 degree break. Roy used this model, asked for a Heaton style glove, and the 590 break was born. Maybe we should be hipster goalie snobs calling them 3000 style breaks and 2000 style breaks?

image.png.61f73d0e32b780c508d85ad4eba56eef.png

image.png.a401e8b33f5a7a991cc5718ae6b3c6d7.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

It's been SO long since I've had a SherWood glove on my hand, so I can't be sure.  However, given that I recall liking the feel, and that I'm a pretty hardcore 600 break guy, I'd guess that if you're liking that glove, the 600-ish breaks will be what you're after.   

There's definitely a change going from old NHL legal to new.   My changeover was even more dramatic as my last glove prior to switching to the new, smaller gloves was a Battram XLP, which was built several inches larger than old-NHL legal!  However, it only took a couple icetimes to figure out the smaller glove and there's no way I'd ever go back to the old, heavy gloves of the past.    IMHO, making the gear smaller backfired on the NHL in their quest for more goals.

All I can say is when I close the glove my thumb meets my fingers and it just feels super natural! I'll have to try some 600 break gloves next time I'm at the shop. So far I like the Sherwood one for now in comparison to my old Heaton one. :) Way more control as well.

1 minute ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

All I can say is when I close the glove my thumb meets my fingers and it just feels super natural! I'll have to try some 600 break gloves next time I'm at the shop. So far I like the Sherwood one for now in comparison to my old Heaton one. :) Way more control as well.

IMO, I find 600 the least consistent brand to brand. I would make make sure you try on CCM, Bauer, True, and Vaughn if you want that glove. You might like an SLR, but hate a True sort of thing.

I love the Bauer Supreme break. I have tried and struggle to use a CCM600 or a Vaughn SLR

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

I agree the Sher-Wood would be closest to the 600. I also think IF we have to throw the S into today's terms, it's a 600 also

FWIW - Heaton actually started the discussion and terminology 60 degree break. Roy used this model, asked for a Heaton style glove, and the 590 break was born. Maybe we should be hipster goalie snobs calling them 3000 style breaks and 2000 style breaks?

image.png.61f73d0e32b780c508d85ad4eba56eef.png

image.png.a401e8b33f5a7a991cc5718ae6b3c6d7.png

What a blast from the past!

When I close my Heaton S2000 it feels more like my thumb connects to my index finger (It is so bulky I cannot even make a tight shut either!). The Sherwood has my thumb going between my middle and ring finger.

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

IMO, I find 600 the least consistent brand to brand. I would make make sure you try on CCM, Bauer, True, and Vaughn if you want that glove. You might like an SLR, but hate a True sort of thing.

I love the Bauer Supreme break. I have tried and struggle to use a CCM600 or a Vaughn SLR

Good suggestion! I'm not brand loyal so I like to go with what feels "right" for me. I could be lost for hours in a shop trying on gloves. :D 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I can confirm this. For me Vapor is a no go, Supreme (Total one and US for me) is delighful. CCM Premier with 590 is good and the 600 Eflex is terrbile. Vaughn VE8 is one of my favourites, SLR I'm yet to test but some recall from SLR predecessor is I didn't get into it at all.

Which only tells that when we try to explain the assortment with too limited choises it's not working. For CCM and their famous numbers it works as they make only gloves that resemble the figures. But so many things change in glove design that when some other manufacturers gloves are taken those famous numbers cannot be used to describe as it just isn't the same in any measure.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, indykrap said:

Hijacking a bit - can anyone identify this break? Thought I saw him close it on a save (live) and it looked like a 580, so I guess it's a bit of a test of my eyes haha.

Also, it's a sweet set and I want to see if I can find it one day! haha

This is why they call it pre-season - Guelph News

580 yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Might actually be something else 😉... Actually almost positive it's not a 580.

I will just leave this here though without further comment and drive everyone nuts

44 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Pretty sure that one’s definitely a 580. Markstrom though….

Makes me think it's a 581 or something of that naming scheme. T looks a little offset to me too.

• Like 1

Premier cuff but not as much angle there. Narrow thumb area and strong curve and concave to the break. T boot is awkwardly looking offset.

Fingerside is longer and in different angle than 590 closing finger tips to thumb. Corner next to T is not cut and T sort of bends over the plate and not on side of it. T is angled towards shooter and not as an extension to the glove.

Custom so it still can be mix and match of anything maybe.

Definitely 580 before 590 and not 600.

580.jpg

5 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Premier cuff but not as much angle there. Narrow thumb area and strong curve and concave to the break. T boot is awkwardly looking offset.

Fingerside is longer and in different angle than 590 closing finger tips to thumb. Corner next to T is not cut and T sort of bends over the plate and not on side of it. T is angled towards shooter and not as an extension to the glove.

Custom so it still can be mix and match of anything maybe.

Definitely 580 before 590 and not 600.

At first glance I thought this was a 580 too

After looking again I'm having a really tough time sticking to that decision

The thumb mold (blue) and finger angle (yellow) look different to me

image.png.7024d1056fde207766171b97d905a4c2.pngimage.png.71dc4f89a2ec2c8012e6b2d0137be5eb.pngimage.png.3464efd8f8f1da1c28c3ad0ce9216fff.pngimage.png.ca0cd1465d78a7d80908e45a633e51e0.png

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 3:04 AM, Chenner29 said:

At first glance I thought this was a 580 too

After looking again I'm having a really tough time sticking to that decision

The thumb mold (blue) and finger angle (yellow) look different to me

image.png.7024d1056fde207766171b97d905a4c2.pngimage.png.71dc4f89a2ec2c8012e6b2d0137be5eb.pngimage.png.3464efd8f8f1da1c28c3ad0ce9216fff.pngimage.png.ca0cd1465d78a7d80908e45a633e51e0.png

Thumb is short compared to fingerside and the T is folding in on the finger side like Brian's do, though only partly and not the whole lip.

The structural lacing is very similar on the thumb for each of the pictures.

The Capitals one has some very custom setup too.