2 Campbell Glove Save Botches

seagoal

Pretty interesting that these 2 goals happened about 2 months apart, 1 each on either side of a gear brand change. 

Here was the first one, where it looks like he snapped the glove shut too soon and the puck hit the outside of the pocket:

Screenshot_20230118-095038_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6539acc4eb5416f1e84777ea90c0ff1c.jpg

Screenshot_20230118-095105_YouTube.thumb.jpg.82b849a366737fe68ee6efec17bc8bcb.jpg

And the second one, where the T of his glove imploded into the pocket upon impact from the puck, meaning his glove was overall too low, vertically:

Screenshot_20230117-212514_YouTube.thumb.jpg.e3a29990a71b2d3f492eb2737b998f4e.jpg

Screenshot_20230118-095426_YouTube.thumb.jpg.d7301759f4ca38f082f62676b499899a.jpg

Edited by seagoal

36 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Pretty interesting that these 2 goals happened about 2 months apart, 1 each on either side of a gear brand change. 

Here was the first one, where it looks like he snapped the glove shut too soon and the puck hit the outside of the pocket:

Screenshot_20230118-095038_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6539acc4eb5416f1e84777ea90c0ff1c.jpg

Screenshot_20230118-095105_YouTube.thumb.jpg.82b849a366737fe68ee6efec17bc8bcb.jpg

And the second one, where the T of his glove imploded into the pocket upon impact from the puck, meaning his glove was overall too low, vertically:

Screenshot_20230117-212514_YouTube.thumb.jpg.e3a29990a71b2d3f492eb2737b998f4e.jpg

Screenshot_20230118-095426_YouTube.thumb.jpg.d7301759f4ca38f082f62676b499899a.jpg

It’s also partly how Brian’s builds their tees and why those gloves close so well. The plastic doesn’t extend into the glove palm itself it just stops right at the lacing

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

It’s also partly how Brian’s builds their tees and why those gloves close so well. The plastic doesn’t extend into the glove palm itself it just stops right at the lacing

That's interesting, also news to me. 

My current V9 glove was ordered with a reinforced T if i recall correctly.  It's difficult to imagine a puck doing this to it, I mean granted I play in Div 4 beer league and not the NHL, but still.  The joint at the point of the T on my glove is pretty flexible and it closes fine, but the spines off center on either side are pretty stiff.

37 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

What drove me nuts on the first one was every swearing left, right, and center that it when trough the nylon webbing. It very obviously didn't go through. 

I've had my T collapse on my LT90 and RGT1 Sr. So far my GT2 pro and G5 have never seen anything like that. 

Yeah, it's clear on the close-up you can see the puck mark on the outside and there are no distorted large holes in the webbing.  Leave it to TV types to not be able to think and just run with the most "TV friendly" explanation there is.

He's definitely doing some strange twists and drops with his hand.  Sounds like a coaching opportunity for @Chenner29 to get this guy on track with some notepad geometry sketches.

Edited by seagoal

In case there's any debate, the shot 100% folded his T in

image.png.d8e68adc2e67efadf70e5d05a31ade89.png

image.png.4d8af48dbd753d93338dcf5ac99f452d.png

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, it's clear on the close-up you can see the puck mark on the outside and there are no distorted large holes in the webbing.  Leave it to TV types to not be able to think and just run with the most "TV friendly" explanation there is.

He's definitely doing some strange twists and drops with his hand.  Sounds like a coaching opportunity for @Chenner29 to get this guy on track with some notepad geometry sketches.

Snapping the glove down and forward as he did towards the end of the sequence is a perfectly fine solution for containing pucks in front.  It looks weird to us because most guys will just catch it clean

I think his positioning for the most part is fine, he's got some pressure off to his left as the forechecker is being held off by his defenseman.

At this level, a hard low pass from the puck carrier toward the opposite corner is still a dangerous play and he's protecting himself from that, the winger can easily get a stick on it for a tip

image.png.796e8efe05a9fbdc1d928af470a01380.png

This puck going in probably has more to do with his glove positioning, from the angle above it looks like the catching surface on his glove isn't completely square to the shot.
If he was able to present more palm to puck he probably would have gotten this

Goes to show you how much details matter at this level

Also very possible this was one of those 1-in-a-thousand shots that rises a lot quicker than expected

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Snapping the glove down and forward as he did towards the end of the sequence is a perfectly fine solution for containing pucks in front.  It looks weird to us because most guys will just catch it clean

I think his positioning for the most part is fine, he's got some pressure off to his left as the forechecker is being held off by his defenseman.

At this level, a hard low pass from the puck carrier toward the opposite corner is still a dangerous play and he's protecting himself from that, the winger can easily get a stick on it for a tip

This puck going in probably has more to do with his glove positioning, from the angle above it looks like the catching surface on his glove isn't completely square to the shot.

Also very possible this was one of those 1-in-a-thousand shots that rises a lot quicker than expected

image.png

Thanks for the stills, it looks like his overall vertical height is just a bit too low and the face of the glove is "pointing" a bit too high.  Correcting even one of those would have been a clean catch.

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

image.png

Or maybe he just sucks?

lolol, good one coop. 

• Haha 1

looking at it a few extra times and in both cases he's trying to catch it with the top of the T.  Vaughn goal it hits top of T on Thumb side and twists glove and the Brian's goal hits on the outside of the T.  If either of these had been in the sweet spot of pocket or lower on the fingers they would have been saves.