Glove break-in or ???

TDS-MN

Hey All,

Looking for some insight/advice.  I have a Vaughn V6/1100 pro catcher that I picked up at Play it Again sports, in really nice condition, I don't think it has seen much playing time prior.

Fits my hand well, and snaps shut pretty well.  Issue I have, is that it feels like it doesn't re-open that well.  Definitely more effort than my older TPS Response glove.  To the point that I usually feel the need to force it open once play stops or leaves my area.  Looking at the pocket form outside, I can push the opening about 3/4" further open in preparation for next shot, but natural flex using just my fingers from inside leave me feeling like I am not taking full advantage of the pocket size.

Any ideas other than just more use to maybe change how it works?  There are a few velcro straps at various points on back side of glove, and I have messed around with them some, but to no real result in change or feel.

5 hours ago, TDS-MN said:

Hey All,

Looking for some insight/advice.  I have a Vaughn V6/1100 pro catcher that I picked up at Play it Again sports, in really nice condition, I don't think it has seen much playing time prior.

Fits my hand well, and snaps shut pretty well.  Issue I have, is that it feels like it doesn't re-open that well.  Definitely more effort than my older TPS Response glove.  To the point that I usually feel the need to force it open once play stops or leaves my area.  Looking at the pocket form outside, I can push the opening about 3/4" further open in preparation for next shot, but natural flex using just my fingers from inside leave me feeling like I am not taking full advantage of the pocket size.

Any ideas other than just more use to maybe change how it works?  There are a few velcro straps at various points on back side of glove, and I have messed around with them some, but to no real result in change or feel.

I cut a piece off a old broken stick and then put in my glove when I get home and open my bag, leave it in there until I pack my bag to go to the rink. It holds my glove open then when I close it it pops back open. Plus it’s still easy to close. 784563F8-2591-4EDC-91BD-9643355FB9CF.thumb.jpeg.2d2bd7f4eb0c3d40357c05791b5247cf.jpeg 

Nice, these methods would seem to start to "re-train" the glove it would seem.  Worth a shot.  Appreciate the thoughts, sometimes it's the simple things that Get over-thought, which I think I might have been guilty of here.  Will give this a try.  Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1

Have noticed an improvement just after letting it sit propped open overnight.  I did also find some ties to tighten at both thumb and pinky finger, which has also tightened up the feel and response in both directions.  Looking forward to my game tonight to see how it plays.  Have had a few times where I went to catch and took the puck on backside of fingers when glove wasn't fully open.  

• Like 1

In the Mods area there are Vaughn 1100 and Vaughn 2200 topics where you can check for some ideas about what's inside the glove.

If you can post a picture of the glove opened "normally" with glove hand and another one with the glove pulled wide open.

There are some issues in Vaughn gloves that affect the closure and 1100Pro is the SR level made overseas.

6 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

In the Mods area there are Vaughn 1100 and Vaughn 2200 topics where you can check for some ideas about what's inside the glove.

If you can post a picture of the glove opened "normally" with glove hand and another one with the glove pulled wide open.

There are some issues in Vaughn gloves that affect the closure and 1100Pro is the SR level made overseas.

I checked out some of the posts in the Mods section.  Wow, you have really gone deep into the construction (or de-construction) of these gloves.   I do not have a photo handy, but as I had noted above prior to my game, I noticed a difference just after a short time of propping the glove open. 

And post-game report, I have to say that I felt much better about my catching using the glove.  I should note that I normally only play between the pipes part-time, and my glove would sit closed up in my bag for extended periods.  However, for the next few months I will be playing on a weekly basis.  But between propping it open for a while prior to my game, and after tightening the black leather tails a bit at thumb and pinky loops, the response was increased a LOT.

I have been playing against some lower level skaters in this current league, and the shots come a bit slower than what I am really used to, so I have had some timing issues.

One thing I have even noticed already, is that I don't think I want to leave it propped open the whole week between games, as that does feel like it might start to make it require more effort to close.  But just taking the advice above, I think if I do that a day or so ahead of game time, I am going to be OK.  Had some nice catches last game, and find that I really like the pocket on this glove, it's pretty deep and holds the pucks well once I get them in there.  But I am feeling like I have solved the challenge I was facing.

You can always add one day propping and one day close-up routine. Close-up meaning you close the glove hand inside properly in a way that feels good to your hand and then tie it up in the exact position with some skatelace or nylon strap with buckle. This tie up must be done with care so it is tied just the way it feels good. It takes a lot more work to fix a glove that is somewhat f**ked up on the break.

That way you get both extremes prepped and the glove will open and close nicely.

Photos would've just helped us to give you some points to focus at while working with the glove. You can tell quite a lot from just how the jenpro on the palm has shaped over time.

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

You can always add one day propping and one day close-up routine. Close-up meaning you close the glove hand inside properly in a way that feels good to your hand and then tie it up in the exact position with some skatelace or nylon strap with buckle. This tie up must be done with care so it is tied just the way it feels good. It takes a lot more work to fix a glove that is somewhat f**ked up on the break.

That way you get both extremes prepped and the glove will open and close nicely.

Photos would've just helped us to give you some points to focus at while working with the glove. You can tell quite a lot from just how the jenpro on the palm has shaped over time.

It's ok to use bad words on here

6 hours ago, TDS-MN said:

I checked out some of the posts in the Mods section.  Wow, you have really gone deep into the construction (or de-construction) of these gloves.   I do not have a photo handy, but as I had noted above prior to my game, I noticed a difference just after a short time of propping the glove open. 

And post-game report, I have to say that I felt much better about my catching using the glove.  I should note that I normally only play between the pipes part-time, and my glove would sit closed up in my bag for extended periods.  However, for the next few months I will be playing on a weekly basis.  But between propping it open for a while prior to my game, and after tightening the black leather tails a bit at thumb and pinky loops, the response was increased a LOT.

I have been playing against some lower level skaters in this current league, and the shots come a bit slower than what I am really used to, so I have had some timing issues.

One thing I have even noticed already, is that I don't think I want to leave it propped open the whole week between games, as that does feel like it might start to make it require more effort to close.  But just taking the advice above, I think if I do that a day or so ahead of game time, I am going to be OK.  Had some nice catches last game, and find that I really like the pocket on this glove, it's pretty deep and holds the pucks well once I get them in there.  But I am feeling like I have solved the challenge I was facing.

Yeah I’m not sure if I would leave it open all week, when I said I put it in there when I get home and then take it out when I pack my bag, I didn’t mention that right now I’m playing three times a week and during the regular long season I was on the ice 6 to 7 days a week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha.  Well, I would say things are looking up for this glove.  Logged my second (limited, part-time) career shutout last sunday.  Glove was so much more comfortable and responsive, felt like an extension of me rather than an ill-fitting tool I was struggling to hold.  Been alternating days between folded closed in bag and propped open sitting out.  My wife does not like the days it sits out as much, but I can face that wrath. . . . 

• Like 1