Brown 2100 "Stand Up" Goalie Pads - Review

kozzy

Spoiler alert - I love these pads, and if you grew up playing in the "old days" when goalies stayed on their feet, pads were leather, and you strapped them on tight, you will too.

I uploaded this picture in the new gear thread before, but for easy reference, I'm adding it here also.  I ordered these pads in mid September, and they arrived one month later.  Brown Hockey was a pleasure to work with the whole way through - great communication, and they met their promise in terms of timing.  

I have been using these since the day they came in, probably about 6 games total and a couple stick and puck sessions.  Here are my takeaways: 

• They are a bit heavier than the Vaughn V5s I was using before, but not much.  Way lighter than the old leather/deer hair pads I used to play (Brian's Air Pac's, I think, from about 92 were my last pair)
  • Build quality is excellent - I couldn't be happier with the look and feel.  They are breaking in nicely also.  
  • There are a couple velcro straps around the calf that seem redundant to me - if I ever order another pair, I would request to have those left off.  They're not a huge issue, and I will probably cut them off at some point.  Just adds a bit to time it takes to put them on.
  • I can and do butterfly, but I play like I learned to play in the 80s, which I was.  The 2100s are a late 90s style of pro pad, so they are perfect for me in that regard.   I can't say how these would do with more modern goaltending moves - I would think of you like to butterfly slide all over the place, these are probably not for you.  
  • These pads are soft, but they do kick out some rebounds.  Not rockets, but on par with the V5s. I'd say.  Firmer rebounds than my old Brian's, I think, which takes a bit of getting used to, but is actually kind of nice.  

Anyway, as I said above, I couldn't be happier with these pads.  After a a few outings, they started to feel like part of my legs out there - not very heavy and easy to skate/move around in.  

I'm also loving the gloves, but will post about those later.  

IMG_3964.jpeg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Love it. Never thought I'd get a review on pads who's style is 30 years late 😛 

Now now, I think they are only about 25 years out of style 🤣.  But seriously, thank heavens they still make them.  They are so much more fun, for me, to play in.

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We're almost at a point where V5's are seen as "ancient" pads. (11 years old). lol 

I recently heard some kids making fun of a beer leaguer wearing "Dad pads" and they were V5's. I had never felt more old. 

In summary: We need to bring back beating kids. 

That's true (about the v5s and the beating of kids!) - but the V5s are much closer to modern pads than they are to these Brown 2100s, in my opinion.  Maybe over time I'll modernize my game a bit, which might lead to a desire for a true modern pad, but I don't think I that's gonna happen.

Nice set! John and his crew are top notch. Those look tall. 34"? 35"? And that trapper looks like it will take a nice round shape once broken in.

In all honesty, I don't know if I could revert to the old style of keeping nets like I used to. I actually had to do so for a pickup game 2 weeks ago. Tweaked my groin earlier that week and going into butterflies was very uncomfortable. I played a total '80s style game and it felt soooo odd. Challenging a shooter by just sticking the pads together and dropping the trapper felt awkward yet came naturally. It was both fun and weird  :D  

image.thumb.png.ed98e78ade15f270996b1b2542523764.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Nice set! John and his crew are top notch. Those look tall. 34"? 35"? And that trapper looks like it will take a nice round shape once broken in.

In all honesty, I don't know if I could revert to the old style of keeping nets like I used to. I actually had to do so for a pickup game 2 weeks ago. Tweaked my groin earlier that week and going into butterflies was very uncomfortable. I played a total '80s style game and it felt soooo odd. Challenging a shooter by just sticking the pads together and dropping the trapper felt awkward yet came naturally. It was both fun and weird  :D  

image.thumb.png.ed98e78ade15f270996b1b2542523764.png

Yep, they are 34".  Gloves are great too, and breaking in nicely.  In terms of style, I wouldn't say I'm all standup - I'm probably a bit more hybrid, but with like 60/40 in terms of standup preference.   I'm definitely keeping my feet as long as I can, but I like dropping into the butterfly as well.  I just do it in a more 90s fashion than the way goalies do today.

Edit: Oh - and Beezer was one of my idols - loved that guy.  I loved his Louisville sticks too - always got them when I could.

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 1

My Dad, Grandpa and Uncle were all stand up goalies. My grandpa is 72, but is fit enough to strap them up. His old Coopers are in his man cave. All of his cool, old gear is there, and it goes with the mahogany paneling in there. My Dad and Uncle used to talk all the time about smoking his Cuban cigars when they were kids!

• Like 2

Honestly, just because these pads have elements of a traditional pad, doesn’t mean they can’t be used for modern-style play. They wouldn't replicate the exact performance of the most modern pads, but they could be used effectively for modern moves. Unless you ordered them without them, these pads do come with landing gear. They also should have jenpro (or whatever synthetic leather is used) on the inner surface (sliding area) of the pad. You would just have to use slack on your toe-ties as you would on any modern pads. 
Ordering from Brown also allows you to customize features on the equipment. I’m pretty sure you can combine features of one model with that of another.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:41 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Honestly, just because these pads have elements of a traditional pad, doesn’t mean they can’t be used for modern-style play. They wouldn't replicate the exact performance of the most modern pads, but they could be used effectively for modern moves. Unless you ordered them without them, these pads do come with landing gear. They also should have jenpro (or whatever synthetic leather is used) on the inner surface (sliding area) of the pad. You would just have to use slack on your toe-ties as you would on any modern pads. 
Ordering from Brown also allows you to customize features on the equipment. I’m pretty sure you can combine features of one model with that of another.

You are probably right about the play style, and definitely right that Brown will work with you on changes if you want.  With that said, I do think they'd point you to the 2500 series if you're a true butterfly style goaltender.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2023 at 10:16 AM, kozzy said:

Spoiler alert - I love these pads, and if you grew up playing in the "old days" when goalies stayed on their feet, pads were leather, and you strapped them on tight, you will too.

I uploaded this picture in the new gear thread before, but for easy reference, I'm adding it here also.  I ordered these pads in mid September, and they arrived one month later.  Brown Hockey was a pleasure to work with the whole way through - great communication, and they met their promise in terms of timing.  

I have been using these since the day they came in, probably about 6 games total and a couple stick and puck sessions.  Here are my takeaways: 

• They are a bit heavier than the Vaughn V5s I was using before, but not much.  Way lighter than the old leather/deer hair pads I used to play (Brian's Air Pac's, I think, from about 92 were my last pair)
  • Build quality is excellent - I couldn't be happier with the look and feel.  They are breaking in nicely also.  
  • There are a couple velcro straps around the calf that seem redundant to me - if I ever order another pair, I would request to have those left off.  They're not a huge issue, and I will probably cut them off at some point.  Just adds a bit to time it takes to put them on.
  • I can and do butterfly, but I play like I learned to play in the 80s, which I was.  The 2100s are a late 90s style of pro pad, so they are perfect for me in that regard.   I can't say how these would do with more modern goaltending moves - I would think of you like to butterfly slide all over the place, these are probably not for you.  
  • These pads are soft, but they do kick out some rebounds.  Not rockets, but on par with the V5s. I'd say.  Firmer rebounds than my old Brian's, I think, which takes a bit of getting used to, but is actually kind of nice.  

Anyway, as I said above, I couldn't be happier with these pads.  After a a few outings, they started to feel like part of my legs out there - not very heavy and easy to skate/move around in.  

I'm also loving the gloves, but will post about those later.  

IMG_3964.jpeg

OMG so Kozzy you are the lucky guy who got this set from Brown.  I saw it on their Facebook page.  I am considering ordering a set from Brown as well.  My question is can you really go down in a butterfly in these 2100 pads?  I am a hybrid goalie as well but more of a stand up type but occasionally like to lay the pad down flat on the side.  Do these pads rotate OK?  Are there knee sliders to land on here?

Your input and feedback would so much appreciated here.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post a ~6 month review.  I've been using these Brown 2100's and their 1800 series blocker/catcher, since mid October, and I love them even more now than I did right off the bat.  The fall B-league season was great. We ended up losing 1-0 in the final, but I basically carried the team to victory in the semis, facing about 45 shots and letting in 2.  That was a fun night.  I also ventured out for some A-league action recently (subbing) and didn't make a fool of myself out there.  You can still stop the puck against good players, even if you don't play the modern style.

Now, in terms of these pads - the only real wear has been on the little blue piece where the tow ties attach - some of that blue has worn off.  Not a big deal.  I did swap out the original toe ties for regular laces, and also added a 2 inch gap so I could have a bit of play on the toe.  Even though I still strap these on fairly tight with the heel strap and also around the calves, this allows for just a bit more rotation.   The sound coming off the pad on contact with the puck is this really wonderful, deep THUD.  I love it.  And, they kick rebounds out pretty well also - much livelier than a true old-school leather/hair pad.  

The blocker is also great.  Not a not a ton to say there.  It's comfy and blocks the puck 🤣.  I feel like I'm making more/better blocker saves than I used to back in the day, but part of that is just a lighter stick, I think (True Hzrdus 7X - which I love also).

The catcher has broken in beautifully and plays amazing.  For the first couple weeks I was having a bit of trouble holding onto the puck, but since then, it's been like a vacuum.

Anyway, these are great options for anyone looking to play more of a 90s/hybrid style.  I think I'll probably be ordering a new chesty and pants from Brown this year, but I do love my old Tackla pants from around 1990, and might not give those up for a bit.

• Like 3