CCM AB Pro Chest Protector

RichMan

image.png.738bd8b80c8d39d81209d6ec985fe90a.png
(credit photo to TheGoalNet on Google)

I've decided to write my short review here as to not overwhelm the other thread with just this topic.

So I finally managed to get my hands on one of these, used of course, and took it out for a ride tonight in my pickup game. Let me tell you, this is an absolute tank! It's built like nothing else out there honestly. The thickness of the padding and the amount of hardcore plastic involved. The arms alone are most impressive and most awkward at the same time. The arm unit itself, as where and how it attaches to the body is very mobile. Where the arms bend is more rigid, more restrained. I can't reach my head as well as in my 2S and I find that one a little difficult. The bottom flap was either removed or it was built like that, I couldn't tell you, but I like it that way as I tuck it in.. 

Although the floaters are sewn onto the shoulders as per NHL rules, which I like, it could be adjusted a tad more for my frame. It was sold to me as an XL, no tags to show for. I'm 6'2, near 200lbs, my Bauer 2S is an XL. The AB Pro sits a little lower than I wish, lower than the pic above, but then again, it automatically moves up when in my crouch or butterfly. 

This thing is definitely built for the real pros. It's like the P1 got in bed with the Heaton H5, they both drank a 40oz of juice (steroids) and had a baby and voila, finished product. I can still feel the puck hit me as a vibration but in no way could I get hurt in this, I very much doubt it.

It being well used, it took half the game to kinda loosen up to a point where I wouldn't think about it much but I still noticed it in certain situations. It definitely needs some getting used to. I'm curious if the experience is the same with a brand new unit. Other than wear and tear and some foams/plastics warping a little, I can't see this thing breaking down and getting all mushy over time like off the rack models.

To you out there that has one or tried one for practice or game, do you feel the same in terms of impression and experience?

If CCM would put this out for the public, I'm sure a lot of people would jump on it, but I can also say it wouldn't necessarily be to everyone's liking. 

• Like 4

To further continue on this review...

Coming back to the arms, although this unit is supposed to be conform to the latest NHL sizing rules, I do feel that (or it's just because of their shape and build) the arms are bigger and bulkier than my Bauer 2S. My jersey, a goalie cut one, fit kind of tightly over the arms when I put it on. Heck, just getting the jersey on was a challenge onto itself given the structure and stiffness of the arms, I mean I had a hard time reaching up to pull the jersey down over my head and the c/a altogether, but once on, it was ok somewhat. I haven't measured the differences between this unit and my 2S but I'm sure there's a slight catch to the measurements. If I compare it to my Reebok P1 (that is for sale btw ;) ), the P1 should be fairly close in size but clearly not as bulky and stiff.

I like that the shoulders are square but not so much out that they extend into my side to side movement and vision. This is one feature I loved from my then Heaton H5 and my P1. Again, with the thick layering of the shoulders, getting hurt would be almost impossible. And you can still get enough coverage without going overboard like some models out there. Besides, it's all in the positioning, right :D 

The elbows look and feel like forward elbow protectors all the way. It's not like the simple plastic cups that CCM have used for so long. No, these have substance and meaning behind them. They wrap quite well around your elbows and down onto your forearms. This of course adds to the arms bulkiness and stiffness.

In terms of the strapping, elastics are the usual but with the absence of plastic buckles which is smart. I do feel though that the wrist straps on CCM/Reebok/Koho units have always been a hit or miss for me. It holds but doesn't feel secure if you know what I mean. In my opinion, John Brown has nailed this area with their non-elastic nylon and jenpro approach with the little arrow like tab at the end so they don't slip out of the rings when pulling out your arms.

Heat can be an issue with this unit for some. It's so substantial and with all the plastic involved, heat doesn't have much open area to escape. I'm not a chubby goalie but still got a good sweat in, which help contribute to loosening up the unit as the game progressed. Brown units used plenty of plastics in their chest protectors and they do work up a sweat as well and if you've ever had the chance to play in a Brown unit as I have for a full decade long ago, the way they are built compared to this CCM c/a is really night and day. Not in terms of protection but more so in fit and feel.

What would I change? I've faced some bombs now and then over the years but I honestly can say that I probably have never really felt an NHL level kind of shot a la Webber. In saying so, for an experienced beer leaguer like myself, is this unit overkill? I'd say so. Does this mean it's wrong to use it. I wouldn't say so. I've always wanted to wear a relatively undersized c/a and I never really mind feeling the shots borderline light stingers and this unit gives me 1 out of 2. The protection obviously gives me a sense of security that my 2S may lack on occasion but this is what you get when you compare a retail pro unit vs an actual pro unit.

I'm a give this piece a couple more ice times before I decide if it's a keeper or not. I'll say that it would be VERY cool to find a copy of the CCM Pro in a slightly bit leaner build whilst keeping the legal sizing and shape of it.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Great write up. Coming from a RBK P1/P2 myself, I felt the CCM AB Pro was a coming home moment for me as well with my C/A unit. I have the original model, but this is always nice to hear if/when i ever upgrade to a new NHL legal specd unit. Awesome! The thing definitely looks like a tank. 

It feels and plays like a tank. I've never tried on the Warrior mechanical arms unit but it makes me think of that. They probably don't feel or move the same but I'm just throwing discussion on the table.

As I answered in the other thread, if the plastic in the arms were segmented, I'm sure it would improve the flexion a lot, less robotic feeling. I get why many have switched to Kenesky arms.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 8:09 PM, RichMan said:

To further continue on this review...

Coming back to the arms, although this unit is supposed to be conform to the latest NHL sizing rules, I do feel that (or it's just because of their shape and build) the arms are bigger and bulkier than my Bauer 2S. My jersey, a goalie cut one, fit kind of tightly over the arms when I put it on. Heck, just getting the jersey on was a challenge onto itself given the structure and stiffness of the arms, I mean I had a hard time reaching up to pull the jersey down over my head and the c/a altogether, but once on, it was ok somewhat. I haven't measured the differences between this unit and my 2S but I'm sure there's a slight catch to the measurements. If I compare it to my Reebok P1 (that is for sale btw ;) ), the P1 should be fairly close in size but clearly not as bulky and stiff.

I like that the shoulders are square but not so much out that they extend into my side to side movement and vision. This is one feature I loved from my then Heaton H5 and my P1. Again, with the thick layering of the shoulders, getting hurt would be almost impossible. And you can still get enough coverage without going overboard like some models out there. Besides, it's all in the positioning, right :D 

The elbows look and feel like forward elbow protectors all the way. It's not like the simple plastic cups that CCM have used for so long. No, these have substance and meaning behind them. They wrap quite well around your elbows and down onto your forearms. This of course adds to the arms bulkiness and stiffness.

In terms of the strapping, elastics are the usual but with the absence of plastic buckles which is smart. I do feel though that the wrist straps on CCM/Reebok/Koho units have always been a hit or miss for me. It holds but doesn't feel secure if you know what I mean. In my opinion, John Brown has nailed this area with their non-elastic nylon and jenpro approach with the little arrow like tab at the end so they don't slip out of the rings when pulling out your arms.

Heat can be an issue with this unit for some. It's so substantial and with all the plastic involved, heat doesn't have much open area to escape. I'm not a chubby goalie but still got a good sweat in, which help contribute to loosening up the unit as the game progressed. Brown units used plenty of plastics in their chest protectors and they do work up a sweat as well and if you've ever had the chance to play in a Brown unit as I have for a full decade long ago, the way they are built compared to this CCM c/a is really night and day. Not in terms of protection but more so in fit and feel.

What would I change? I've faced some bombs now and then over the years but I honestly can say that I probably have never really felt an NHL level kind of shot a la Webber. In saying so, for an experienced beer leaguer like myself, is this unit overkill? I'd say so. Does this mean it's wrong to use it. I wouldn't say so. I've always wanted to wear a relatively undersized c/a and I never really mind feeling the shots borderline light stingers and this unit gives me 1 out of 2. The protection obviously gives me a sense of security that my 2S may lack on occasion but this is what you get when you compare a retail pro unit vs an actual pro unit.

I'm a give this piece a couple more ice times before I decide if it's a keeper or not. I'll say that it would be VERY cool to find a copy of the CCM Pro in a slightly bit leaner build whilst keeping the legal sizing and shape of it.

Great review, thanks! 

I had chance to see one in summer form QMJHL goalie in almost new condition. If I wasn´t lucky to buy Hillers KOHO I would go for it definitly (he said he may sell it to me). It was nothing like pro CA you now see of the shelf in shops. My previous chest was Bauer NXG, basicky same like yours 2S, and I agree with you, NHL protection is overkill for beer league...but who cares 😀

I´m quite interested how retail version will look like compared to this one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mik said:

Great review, thanks! 

I had chance to see one in summer form QMJHL goalie in almost new condition. If I wasn´t lucky to buy Hillers KOHO I would go for it definitly (he said he may sell it to me). It was nothing like pro CA you now see of the shelf in shops. My previous chest was Bauer NXG, basicky same like yours 2S, and I agree with you, NHL protection is overkill for beer league...but who cares 😀

I´m quite interested how retail version will look like compared to this one. 

It's nice that you have an inside connection. Sure helps when it comes to exclusive gear.

I was told that the next Warrior c/a will or should be legal sizing. I'm anxious to find out.

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

It's nice that you have an inside connection. Sure helps when it comes to exclusive gear.

I was told that the next Warrior c/a will or should be legal sizing. I'm anxious to find out.

Reality is, I don’t have. It was just oportunity at summer camp where we met.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Looks like a Pro-level retail unit based on branding on the neck piece. Won't offer as much protection as pro-stock units.

If you mean the new version available to the public...that kind of off the rack pro level is sufficient for beer league. I'm not going to play pro anytime soon 😏

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 10:21 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Looks like a Pro-level retail unit based on branding on the neck piece. Won't offer as much protection as pro-stock units.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-chest-arm-protectors/6691670-ccm-used-medium-ab-pro-goalie-chest-protector

So, based on no branding on the neck piece of this one it's likely the beefier model?

2 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-chest-arm-protectors/6691670-ccm-used-medium-ab-pro-goalie-chest-protector

So, based on no branding on the neck piece of this one it's likely the beefier model?

No it isn't. They will all look like the picture of the one Richman posted. The CCM pro stock units now all look the exact same as the picture he put up. 

47 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

No it isn't. They will all look like the picture of the one Richman posted. The CCM pro stock units now all look the exact same as the picture he put up. 

I would assume this is just an older one, based on the neck not having ccm branding as well as having a fight strap.

2 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

It seems to be different with the CCM ABPros. It was the case with the Reebok P1s and is the case with the CCM AB18s and the new AB22.

There are some NHL-issued units that have the branding at the neck. TheGoalieCrease was selling some NHL units with and without the branding.

56902451_10156397515048250_481186712546967552_n.thumb.jpg.c5e7e64c785150ec0c04f2319e7b0cce.jpg56830115_10156397515598250_7797519040057966592_n.thumb.jpg.e2545bd67f60024f42b5dfcdb42a046e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:12 AM, insertnamehere said:

I ordered this one based on a conversation with the seller and judging by the absolute rock solid padding, this thing is a pro return and it's going to hold up for a long time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 12:09 PM, RichMan said:

Heat can be an issue with this unit for some. It's so substantial and with all the plastic involved, heat doesn't have much open area to escape. I'm not a chubby goalie but still got a good sweat in

New Tendy here who was just able to snatch an unused one, on a scale of 1-10 how hot does it get. I'm not that big of a guy either 6'2 170, currently in an Axis 2 chest and id give it maybe a 4/10 on heat, would love to know what you think!

8 hours ago, RockyMountainTendy said:

New Tendy here who was just able to snatch an unused one, on a scale of 1-10 how hot does it get. I'm not that big of a guy either 6'2 170, currently in an Axis 2 chest and id give it maybe a 4/10 on heat, would love to know what you think!

I was in an axis 2 before this unit as well. I would say it gets 8-8.5/10 for hotness, it doesn't breath very well but the protection way better than the axis 2. 

11 hours ago, RockyMountainTendy said:

You buy the Francouz Fit 2 on SLS?  I was looking at that.  Knew it would go fast.

4 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

You buy the Francouz Fit 2 on SLS?  I was looking at that.  Knew it would go fast.

Did indeed my friend. I am a born and bred Avs fan, and a HUGE Frankie fan, fav tendy since Varly. Got a shrine to him in my apartment lmao. I miss our Czech cinnamon roll :(

I had been looking for the AB18 for almost 2 years and had to pass up 5-6 either due to size or price, luckily this time it was my size, new and i could afford it so im so happy!

Edited by RockyMountainTendy

7 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

I would say it gets 8-8.5/10 for hotness

well thats worrysome, but hopefully ill be able to handle it. If i hate this ill resell it and grab the ABPROSPEC coming to shelves soon cause apparently the internal liner is going to be the airmesh that was on the AXIS 2 according to the images 

18 minutes ago, RockyMountainTendy said:

well thats worrysome, but hopefully ill be able to handle it. If i hate this ill resell it and grab the ABPROSPEC coming to shelves soon cause apparently the internal liner is going to be the airmesh that was on the AXIS 2 according to the images 

Fit 2 is a medium? Im also in CO so if it is too hot and you want to unload it let me know and ill take it. 

1 minute ago, xmikex32 said:

Fit 2 is a medium? Im also in CO so if it is too hot and you want to unload it let me know and ill take it.

Yep it is a medium, Ill def hit you up if i wanna sell it! Hey hope to see you around, im based in boulder rn, but im hopefully going home this weekend so ill be at a stick n puck at SSSPC on sunday, that is if i get over this damn cold

3 hours ago, RockyMountainTendy said:

But I'm also a fat battle gnome that plays above my skill/endurance level. 😅 But that being said I will definitely be moving to the new pro spec unit as soon as we get them.