PWHL: History in the making

RichMan

If some of you have been living under a rock or too busy watching Gilligan's Island reruns, the PWHL is the new Pro Women's Hockey League. 

The prior women's leagues were absorbed to create this stronger and better organized league with plenty of hing end financing and sponsors with support from the NHL and more.

It's been in the process of development for over a year or more and after holding its live draft broadcast on national TV last fall, the puck officially dropped on January 2nd 2024 for the first game between Toronto and New York. It was a really physical game!

The second game the following day was between Ottawa and Montreal in Ottawa and sold out in a snap with an attendance of over 8500 people. That game as well was high octane and a even a fight almost broke out!

The third game was yesterday between Boston and Minnesota. It was high energy again and the goalie action continued to shine!

I can't wait to see the remainder of the games as rivalries are already happening. Let me tell you, this is nothing like what you see on the international stage. These ladies came to play and play hard they do and get paid for it. I'm very excited to see this finally happen and only wish the best for their and the league's future!

You can check them out on YouTube. You won't be disappointed 😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, keeperton said:

The YouTube channel can be found here https://www.youtube.com/@thepwhlofficial

The games have been great fun and it's wonderful to see best-on-best outside the Olympics (though the Women's games in the Olympics are always very good).

The Olympic games are good but the rules kind of guide or restrict the play a bit. What I saw in the PWHL is on another level. During intermissions, the sports commentators mentioned that the question was asked to the women playing in the league of how they wanted the game to look like and the answer was "physical", and that it has been.

15 minutes ago, RichMan said:

The Olympic games are good but the rules kind of guide or restrict the play a bit. What I saw in the PWHL is on another level. During intermissions, the sports commentators mentioned that the question was asked to the women playing in the league of how they wanted the game to look like and the answer was "physical", and that it has been.

I believe they now follow USA minor hockey rules where physical play can happen only if the "hitter" is making a play for the puck. So no hitting the puck carrier for the sake of it. 

Watched the Min/Bos game. Aside from the obvious issues with their jersey's and team names, felt like a proper broadcast. Play was alright to watch, obviously not the same level as the USA/Canada games, but still entertaining enough. 

I'll be tossing it on in the background as I do want to support it. 

• Like 1

I like it. More pro hockey the better.

The checking rules are easy enough. With my boys playing, I like the way they are written.

Checks are done to remove the player from the puck. Which makes sense. You need to initiate contact with the puck carrier with your stick (you're after the puck, right?) then you can follow through with your body. 

You're not allowed to just blow up the puck carrier.

The one rule that has been forgotten already here in USA Hockey is the 'no finishing checks'. So once the puck is gone, you can't come and run over the player like has been done forever. It's hard to not allow it, but it's the rule. It was enforced at first, but it has been somewhat forgotten by the refs around here.

Somewhat is the issue, because there are some that will call it - some don't. So it's a tough situation for the kids to figure out game to game.

I had many arguments with refs where I tell them that USA Hockey specifically stated in their rules "no finishing checks".

Summary

All USA Hockey members must demonstrate awareness and support for the application, spirit and the respect of the rules in order for continued improvement in the game of hockey. At the same time, it is important to remember that:

• A player is entitled to use proper body position and competitive contact in all age classifications in order to gain a competitive advantage.

• Players are allowed to physically engage with an opponent using their strength and balance as long as their primary focus is to gain possession of the puck.

• In classification where body checking is allowed, the focus of the body check must be to gain possession of the puck.

• Proper body checking technique starts with stick on puck, therefore the stick blade of the player delivering the check must be below the knees.