How often do you sharpen?

42 minutes ago, Matt30 said:

When it first came out here, no difference in price at most shops. The only one I recall being an outrageous price was Pro Hockey Life.

Then once it got popular, everyone is up in the $8.50 range for a FBV sharpening. 

I suppose I can see a little bit of upcharging because of all of the hollows that are offered for FBV. 

Of course it used to be when I was first doing hair that one particular highlight technique cost 10-25% more and that did not include how many different colours were being added. I now literally only charge for the extra colours, not the technique. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

about every 7-8 uses.

TBH, my favorite is the 2nd time I use them after a sharpening.

One thing I noticed, is I liked my old (15 yr old) Tacks much duller than my new Bauers. if sharpening were more convenient id prob do them every 4 skates or so.

1 hour ago, stealth said:

about every 7-8 uses.

TBH, my favorite is the 2nd time I use them after a sharpening.

One thing I noticed, is I liked my old (15 yr old) Tacks much duller than my new Bauers. if sharpening were more convenient id prob do them every 4 skates or so.

Sometimes that sweet spot comes after a little use. 

The old steel has a different feel than the newer stuff. Can’t put my finger on it, but I kinda know what you mean there.

22 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The shoppe I was referring to was literally doing it wrong, using the Blackwell wheel on the Blademaster sharpening wheel. G’d knows how they arrived at using the wheel to shape and dress their grinding wheel... 

Yes- Sparx Fire is a (somewhat) FBV equivalent, but the nomenclature is much more simplified. As I remember, there were at least three small variants for the 1/2” equivalent, all with subtle differences. 

Blademaster may have one, but again nothing as technical as the Blackstone system. 

Prosharp has something similar plus they have a downright bizarre Z-channel hollow. 

Sparx Fire is the same as Blademaster's BFD. 

image.png.6a1db77642143bd59421df9606fc0f25.png

11 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I sharpen my skates about twice every 6 months or so (on average). 5/8 or 3/4 cut when I do get them sharpened.

I just maintain the blades with the magic stick and the skate stone. It works for me!

I see a guy in the locker room using a magic stick before every skate and it's one of those situations where it's not worth looking like a know it all asshole to say anything about it to him. If it works for him I guess to each his own. 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:40 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I see a guy in the locker room using a magic stick before every skate and it's one of those situations where it's not worth looking like a know it all asshole to say anything about it to him. If it works for him I guess to each his own. 

Nice way to put it. I think that's what makes our position (and any sport) so unique. What works for some won't work for others. 

And while I'm not surprised a lot of the answers differ than mine in this thread, this method seems to have worked for me and I still have a good amount of "bite" in my edges to transfer my weight and use my butterfly pushes and work around my crease with no issues. 

I should mention that I am a lighter/shorter guy, so there may not be as much weight forced upon my blades when they dig into the ice or hit the posts. So if that makes a difference, I'm not really sure. 

Though I do remember reading once that Lundqvist only sharpens his skates about twice a year. So it's just down to how you feel in your skates, and how you like to use your edges.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:40 AM, IPv6Freely said:

If it works for him, it works. 

Really I am reiterating what you’re saying...

16 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Nice way to put it. I think that's what makes our position (and any sport) so unique. What works for some won't work for others. 

And while I'm not surprised a lot of the answers differ than mine in this thread, this method seems to have worked for me and I still have a good amount of "bite" in my edges to transfer my weight and use my butterfly pushes and work around my crease with no issues. 

I should mention that I am a lighter/shorter guy, so there may not be as much weight forced upon my blades when they dig into the ice or hit the posts. So if that makes a difference, I'm not really sure. 

Though I do remember reading once that Lundqvist only sharpens his skates about twice a year. So it's just down to how you feel in your skates, and how you like to use your edges.

I mean as long as you're aware of what it's actually doing... pushing rounded over edges back into place, which means they can and will eventually become brittle and potentially break off leaving you with no edge at all.. and you accept that risk... then have at it.

I just wonder sometimes if some people who use them think they work like a knife sharpener where its actually putting a new edge on. 

Archived