Passau Blocker

Fullright

Not the most interesting topic in the gear universe, but my new blocker just landed from Passau. It replaces a Vaughn Velocity which was fine but after 3 years, the board wasn't working that well and the top of my hand was getting dented some. As an aside, every darn hockey store in the Chicago area had only 1, perhaps 2, full right blockers in stock which were made in china and to be honest looked like they were made in china. Whenever I see threads about goalies wanting to go lefty, I wonder where they buy their stuff and sticks.

Anyway, here are some pics of the Passau blocker. Very light, ugly colors (my request) and will use for the first time this Friday. The top-of-the-wrist pad is a new thing for me. More to come after I use it.

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Good on ya for pulling the trigger on another Passau piece. If I recall correctly, your glove is more along the lines of the Oilers colours, is that correct? If so, why not a matching set?

Also the wrist pad: is it supposed to cushion shock, set angle of attack or a bit of both?

Here you go, Hills. Interesting that the elastic on the pointing finger is shorter than the elastic on the ring finger. Supposes it encourages proper holding of the stick and keeps the pad squarely over the finger tip. The glove itself is very light. Passau promised 3 to 4 weeks and they were on time on the 4th week. Cant wait to use next it Friday.

No worries, Bunny. It does  clash with just about everything else I have. I am on a few rosters but to be used only in case of no one else in the Yellow pages  is available. Frees me up to throw colors around. I haven't worried about color coordinating ever since Billy Smith got the colored Kohos. 

I really don't know Ghost. It feels like it would do both when I put it on. It almost feels like its purpose is to keep the glove really tight to the wrist, which I like. Not an addon feature. Goalietimmy's blocker has the same thing.

untitled.png

12 hours ago, Fullright said:

Here you go, Hills. Interesting that the elastic on the pointing finger is shorter than the elastic on the ring finger. Supposes it encourages proper holding of the stick and keeps the pad squarely over the finger tip. The glove itself is very light. Passau promised 3 to 4 weeks and they were on time on the 4th week. Cant wait to use next it Friday.

No worries, Bunny. It does  clash with just about everything else I have. I am on a few rosters but to be used only in case of no one else in the Yellow pages  is available. Frees me up to throw colors around. I haven't worried about color coordinating ever since Billy Smith got the colored Kohos. 

I really don't know Ghost. It feels like it would do both when I put it on. It almost feels like its purpose is to keep the glove really tight to the wrist, which I like. Not an addon feature. Goalietimmy's blocker has the same thing.

I don't understand why Passau sews the finger gussets on the inside of the finger stalls when every other brand sews them on the outside. That bothers me for a few reasons:

1. You can feel the seems more since the end of the mesh gusset material is on the inside of the glove.
  2. Is harder to repair since you can simply restitch the seams on "normal" gloves.
  3. Seems to add more friction on the seam compared to a larger finger palm material, as in with a larger finger it is more likely the palm part of it will come in contact with the stick than the mesh gusset.

Here is an example of an easy fix with my Warrior G2 blocker.

i8KVMjg.jpg

Your blocker looks great, and the finger protection looks really good. But that palm detail is just odd to me.

13 hours ago, Fullright said:

Here you go, Hills. Interesting that the elastic on the pointing finger is shorter than the elastic on the ring finger. Supposes it encourages proper holding of the stick and keeps the pad squarely over the finger tip...

I am wondering if it is because a lot of goalies (myself included and because of your "heritage" I suspect you as well) put their index finger on the top of the paddle as opposed to wrapping them all around the handle. The shorter elastic would help ensure there's no armour "flapping in the breeze"

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I take a shot to the top of the paddle near my finger, i always wonder if it was a little higher if the padding there would protect me.

Agree that that is likely Passau's thinking. I've never understood how some just wrap their fingers around the handle and don't extend their pointing finger on the paddle. Pretty clever if that is the intent of Passau. It was not something for which I asked.

I suspect it seems more natural for someone who's never done it before to simply grab the stick the same way a forward would hold a stick (or a carpenter would hold a hammer for that matter). I only do it because I seem to remember Mr. Plante suggesting it in his book which I read on the arc while waiting for the floodwaters to recede.

Hills: The only thing I can think of with the glove is perhaps they thought it looked better (sleeker?). I know what you mean as I had to sew up one of the fingers on my Vaughn and the external seams made it very easy.

With regards to the wrist pad: it looks like it may add stability when redirecting a hard shot...

4 hours ago, Ghostender said:

I suspect it seems more natural for someone who's never done it before to simply grab the stick the same way a forward would hold a stick (or a carpenter would hold a hammer for that matter). I only do it because I seem to remember Mr. Plante suggesting it in his book which I read on the arc while waiting for the floodwaters to recede.

Hills: The only thing I can think of with the glove is perhaps they thought it looked better (sleeker?). I know what you mean as I had to sew up one of the fingers on my Vaughn and the external seams made it very easy.

With regards to the wrist pad: it looks like it may add stability when redirecting a hard shot...

Hi Guys - thought it might be time for me to chime in.  Yes the pad is meant to help hold the wrist in the proper wrist position and also helps with overall forearm fatigue.  The fingers are sewn internally to reduce friction along the seams.  As a gear maker for 30+ years, every stitch of our gear is well thought out.

Great thoughts and questions.  Glad you're so far happy with the blocker Fullright!

Don't get too far ahead Timmy. Depends on how many beat me stick side this Friday  :D

All kidding aside, the delivery was on time, it is perfectly made, and it looks like the yellow nightmare for which I asked. All good just like the 60 degrees. Hope things are good with you and the family. Thanks again for the excellent service. 

Just completed my first skate using the blocker. Got plenty of work - video will be in the video section later in the weekend - and felt good to start and completely comfortable after the first hour. No changes in how I held the stick or played the puck. The blocking surface is big and the inner "side wall" of it is beefy but the glove is very light. The inner pad for the top of the wrist is a very clever and useful idea. A few rockets were steered as best as I can do it with lots of control. The wrist pad adds lots of snugness and stability. One big concern, which I emphasized to Timmy, is that the opening to the glove had to be wide and for me, needn't come up very far on my forearm. No problems on that at all. The end of my arm protector fit comfortably at the glove. On other blockers I tried at the store, one was smacking into the end of the other. Blockers obviously don't have the same degree of individual preference of a catch glove but this one has more features to it than my Vaughn V6 Velocity. I liked the Velocity but I like the Passau better.

Archived