New paw neck guard problem

Znowleopard

I received my new neck guard from paw a week ago and its great...apart from one problem. Just wearing it around the house i notice that the edge of the side flaps rub against my neck and make it quite uncomfortable to wear. Any ideas how i could fix this?

774332691_2018-06-0914_24_15.thumb.jpg.200c18c7fd2b6d2b7c07efa96265c941.jpg895386319_2018-06-0914_24_11.thumb.jpg.6a688b0dc21d7e122379012b4f31fd4d.jpg

38 minutes ago, Matt30 said:

The best thing you can do is contact Sara. I’m sure she would be concerned that you aren’t satisfied with your purchase and she will make things right.

If i lived in the us i would, but it took ages to send to here to europe so if if can fix it my self i will

54 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I would not be happy with that design.  Maltese can be worn directly against the skin.  This looks like it needs to be worn over a sports turtleneck. 

i think its just a minor oversight in the placement of the side pieces

Minor if it's wearable, major if it"s not.  I have some under armour cold gear shirts that have a collar on them.  i would imagine that would help instead of getting something attached to the neck gaurd to cover and smooth out those areas.  Do you have anything like that?

2 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Minor if it's wearable, major if it"s not.  I have some under armour cold gear shirts that have a collar on them.  i would imagine that would help instead of getting something attached to the neck gaurd to cover and smooth out those areas.  Do you have anything like that?

Fair enough its major then, i dont but ill look into it

Looks like a pretty straightforward fix.  I'll draw a picture for you:

image.png.729a83656261967ec25f52c5509e9ed7.png

You'll want to rip out the seam in the red.

Don't touch the seam in yellow, that's what she used to close the shoulder triangle.

Follow the seam she made, but attach it on the outside of the collar instead.  Don't pull the threads too taught as you are stitching, or else the neck piece may stiffen up and follow the thread you are laying down.

Putting the shoulder triangle on the outside will help keep these pieces from chafing your neck - good luck.

If it's just too abrasive on your skin, I would just stitch a piece of cloth over it and call it done.  Why start ripping seams?  I would also contact Sarah.  I use a few of her products and if there is a design flaw or issue with fit, she will want to be involved. I do have a PAW neck guard too but it doesn't have those big flaps on the sides, so I don't have any issues like that.  I did however request a non-elastic strap for the back because I didn't like it to stretch when my chesty pulled on it and she made me one and sent it out no charge.

40 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

Yeah exactly i already paid alot for this one, im not made of money

If everyone wore the chesty properly the unit should come up to cover your necks, this is why I won't buy a neck guard for over $100 that's insane.  I bought not long ago the Bauer Vapor neck guard for like $40 and it does the job, my chest rides up so it's fine, I've seen goalie with no neck guards or danglers. @jeff da goalie

14 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

If everyone wore the chesty properly the unit should come up to cover your necks, this is why I won't buy a neck guard for over $100 that's insane.  I bought not long ago the Bauer Vapor neck guard for like $40 and it does the job, my chest rides up so it's fine, I've seen goalie with no neck guards or danglers. @jeff da goalie

For me a neck guard is alot cheaper than a new chest unit, also it seems more protective as its connected to my neck compered toa chest that can move around easier 

2 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

For me a neck guard is alot cheaper than a new chest unit, also it seems more protective as its connected to my neck compered toa chest that can move around easier 

Yes, if that's the case it's fine. 

Does your chesty go up enough close to your neck when in a ready shot position?

I cut my neckguard out of my Simmons 995 c/a.  I'm not a big guy and it came too far off my neck and body, getting in the way my mask's ability to look down.  With the Maltese, there are no hangups.  I get the OP paid alot,and can't re-invest, but these experiences are what make the forum great for others to review and help in a decision making process of their own.  Honestly feel bad...you look into a collared sports T yet?  I wish i had better repair advice, but I dont.  The above how-to is very helpful, but also appears that it will wear slightly differently and push the wings out at least another inch, maybe that's acceptable.  Please let us know how you choose to resolve!

20 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

yeah ill either completely remove the flaps or i think just sew a little strip of soft cloth over the seem

Definitely reach out to Sara though.  She might have something we haven't thought of.  She's great to deal with.

16 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

While I can certainly understand what you're trying to say... the operative would is should here. I wore my Premier properly and still ended up with this beauty through my Vaughn neck guard. Went ahead and did the insanity move to Maltese. True it's VERY expensive for a neck guard but after testing one out I can say these bruises (and potential broken clavicle) won't be a concern any longer. Also should be the last one I need to buy...

image.thumb.png.4d94e8266418c50122399c3035b2eda4.png

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@BadAngle41 what happened there though? Did it hit skin? The neck guard or chesty? Was the shot too close that you flinched? Just wondering....cuz even though it was close to me, I got nothing but a stinger or a tiny bruise in 8 years.

I honestly don't recall aside from it being a clapper that got tipped, and I didn't have time to adjust before it hit me. Didn't hit skin. It may never happen to you, but over the 30 years I've been in net I've had it happen enough, and with the availability of better materials and in place where I can spend that much, I just decided to upgrade my neck guard.

I guess my neck/clavicle situation can be compared to what other guys experience w/ stingers off the arms. I don't ever really get them, but I can see how it does to others.

It actually looked worse that it felt, but my point is when things are moving fast, gaps happen.  

Archived