CCM ABPRO CHEST AND ARM PROTECTOR THREAD

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Whenever they do a c/a review, Kevin always seems to be stuck with a size too big unit on him, unless that is how low the collar sits normally?

@Obiwanjabroni  is that how yours fit? 

When I managed to get my hands on a used AB18, it was an XL/4 if I remember, too big obviously. It felt loose over the shoulders, but it was very broken in. Most pics of pros we see with it on without the jersey, seem to have it sit high. Is it because they tuck? The lower half-moon padding pushes it up?

FB_IMG_1716885487780.jpg

Edited by RichMan

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RichMan said:

Whenever they do a c/a review, Kevin always seems to be stuck with a size too big unit on him, unless that is how low the collar sits normally?

@Obiwanjabroni  is that how yours fit? 

When I managed to get my hands on a used AB18, it was an XL/4 if I remember, too big obviously. It felt loose over the shoulders, but it was very broken in. Most pics of pros we see with it on without the jersey, seem to have it sit high. Is it because they tuck? The lower half-moon padding pushes it up?

FB_IMG_1716885487780.jpg

No, not at all. My fit 2 sits almost identical to Bob's in the photo. Again, I'll mention, I'm 6' tall and tuck my unit into my pants.

The THS video drove me nuts, especially Cam's call out on the sizing. He seemed to be parroting whatever the rep had told him (which I've noticed in his other product breakdowns). I'm sure people will disagree with me on this, but it is not a one-to-one when it comes to sm/med/lrg/XL. Kevin was wearing a hoody under what I assume is a fit 3, or even fit 4. He either doesn't care, or is taking the piss. You can also see when he turns to the side at 3:41 that none of the strapping is properly adjusted (likely right out of the box). Either way, I could see it being confusing for your less knowledgeable consumer.

If they were going to break it down in the simplest terms, I could see the following sizing making better sense:
Fit 1 - SM/MED
Fit 2 – MED/LRG
Fit 3 – LRG/XL
Fit 4 – XL/XXL

Even this, may not be entirely accurate. Here is the size chart that CCM is using for the unit:

CCMa.png

I’ll pick on the Fit 2, given that it and the Fit 3 are what I’m best acquainted with. According to the size chart they say that a Fit 2 should fit someone from 5’8” to 6’0”. I would challenge the notion that someone 5’8” could comfortably wear this unit, especially given how long the arms are and how they fall. Even at 6’0”, I have a bit of room in the fit 2. 

Some pro goalies that I know were/are wearing a Fit 2 CCM chest:
Pavel Francouz – listed at 6’0”
Mikhail Berdin – listed at 6’2”

If you watch Kasimir Kaskisuo’s video (“Start vs Cleveland Monsters • Why I Switched to TRUE // Life in the AHL 23-24 #10” ) at 2:07 there is a shot of his unit hanging in his stall. I’m fairly certain that I could make out it being a Fit 2 and he’s listed at 6’03”. Although I could be wrong on this one.

I guess with all this being said, it would be absolutely best for people to try this on in store, however if you are in between sizing on this one, my thoughts are to size down.

Edited by Obiwanjabroni
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

No, not at all. My fit 2 sits almost identical to Bob's in the photo. Again, I'll mention, I'm 6' tall and tuck my unit into my pants.

The THS video drove me nuts, especially Cam's call out on the sizing. He seemed to be parroting whatever the rep had told him (which I've noticed in his other product breakdowns). I'm sure people will disagree with me on this, but it is not a one-to-one when it comes to sm/med/lrg/XL. Kevin was wearing a hoody under what I assume is a fit 3, or even fit 4. He either doesn't care, or is taking the piss. You can also see when he turns to the side at 3:41 that none of the strapping is properly adjusted (likely right out of the box). Either way, I could see it being confusing for your less knowledgeable consumer.

If they were going to break it down in the simplest terms, I could see the following sizing making better sense:
Fit 1 - SM/MED
Fit 2 – MED/LRG
Fit 3 – LRG/XL
Fit 4 – XL/XXL

Even this, may not be entirely accurate. Here is the size chart that CCM is using for the unit:

CCMa.png

I’ll pick on the Fit 2, given that it and the Fit 3 are what I’m best acquainted with. According to the size chart they say that a Fit 2 should fit someone from 5’8” to 6’0”. I would challenge the notion that someone 5’8” could comfortably wear this unit, especially given how long the arms are and how they fall. Even at 6’0”, I have a bit of room in the fit 2. 

If you watch Kasimir Kaskisuo’s video (“Start vs Cleveland Monsters • Why I Switched to TRUE // Life in the AHL 23-24 #10” ) at 2:07 there is a shot of his unit hanging in his stall. I’m fairly certain that I could make out it being a Fit 2 and he’s listed at 6’03”. Although I could be wrong on this one.

I guess with all this being said, it would be absolutely best for people to try this on in store, however if you are in between sizing on this one, my thoughts are to size down.

I see we have the same viewing habits :) . I did notice Woody wearing a hoodie as well and although for them to better take their time to choose the right fit for him, do the right adjustments, wear a friggin t-shirt, and have Cam state "here Kevin is wearing a size X, he's X'X tall, etc, they had to rush through it for production and cost reasons I guess. I think that companies who are still using the 5"5 to 5'9/5'8 to 6'0 formula for gear sizing is so inaccurate and outdated. 

For example, I'm 6'2 and I would better fit in some 34" Lefevre whereas Trav at 6'5 would also fit in a 34". Bob, Sway, Gru and Georgiev all wear 34". In chesties I now know that I better fit a large, yet last month I tried on a med. Optik and it seemed to fit. So confusing.

You wouldn't go buy a dress suit that says S/M/L/XL, you would get specific sizing or better yet get it custom tailored. Companies should start using torso length in conjunction to arm span for measurements. This should be the new and forever standard. Brown has been doing it this way forever. He never really sold standard universal sizes. This approach would lead to better fitment on your purchase and maybe even less returns or gear flipping on the web.  

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

Fit 1 - SM/MED
Fit 2 – MED/LRG
Fit 3 – LRG/XL
Fit 4 – XL/XXL

CCMa.png

I'm 5'8 and am in a fit 2. 🤣🤣 I don't tuck and the arms are perfect at the shortest point of attachment. That said, I and also 255 and continuing to lose weight. I originally purchased the for 2 when I was 270 and it fits alittle bigger now. But I'd stay with the fit 2 over a fit 1. The fit 2 does come down and cover the less padded areas of the front of the pants which I appreciate. With just the chesty on the wrist straps come to my wrists and the bottom of the chest rests at my belt line, which is perfect for me. 

Edited by Madmedic6
Added sizing info.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

The THS video drove me nuts, especially Cam's call out on the sizing. He seemed to be parroting whatever the rep had told him (which I've noticed in his other product breakdowns).

It's why I call those advertisements and not actual reviews/breakdowns. 

If you ever speak to Cam in person, he's incredibly knowledgeable on the specifics, but for the purpose of moving inventory, you can see why he takes more of a "sales" approach when doing these videos. 

5 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

I was able to grab Frankie’s unused AB18 and can confirm fit 2. Im 6’2 and I I’m still figuring out if I like to tuck or not. For me I haven’t had much issue with body length MAYBE I’d need an extra inch, same with the arms that are thankfully adjustable. But in my few times I used it I’ve had zero issues with fit and interference. I think if I were to get the new one I might try a fit 3 

12 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

Fit 1 - SM/MED
Fit 2 – MED/LRG
Fit 3 – LRG/XL
Fit 4 – XL/XXL

CCMa.png

RE: Fit

Yes I agree, and I made this same callout on pants several years ago when the "Fit X" designation came out.  Thinking of it critically, why would CCM mass produce Fit 1s if the vast majority of their pro player base is 6'1 and taller?

As far as the video content - on one hand, I'm glad that someone reputable is actually coming out and making these gear vids.   On the other, the tone of these videos is kind off-putting.  They seem to try really hard to make them light, but the humor doesn't hit.  It seems to me like they're trying to emulate the Chiclets podcast - which would work if the two hosts had any kind of chemistry whatsoever.  Give me the tech specs, give me 3 great or unique features that this piece of gear does really well (and go into depth/show and explain them on video!), tie it to a benefit to the audience, plug the shop and call it a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

RE: Fit

Yes I agree, and I made this same callout on pants several years ago when the "Fit X" designation came out.  Thinking of it critically, why would CCM mass produce Fit 1s if the vast majority of their pro player base is 6'1 and taller?

As far as the video content - on one hand, I'm glad that someone reputable is actually coming out and making these gear vids.   On the other, the tone of these videos is kind off-putting.  They seem to try really hard to make them light, but the humor doesn't hit.  It seems to me like they're trying to emulate the Chiclets podcast - which would work if the two hosts had any kind of chemistry whatsoever.  Give me the tech specs, give me 3 great or unique features that this piece of gear does really well (and go into depth/show and explain them on video!), tie it to a benefit to the audience, plug the shop and call it a day.

Wak and Mole? do/did a great job with their gear videos, short but still packed with info and even on ice feedback. 

I picked up one of these a few weeks ago, but only got to use it for the first time in a tournament this Memorial Day weekend. Played 6 games in 3 days, so it was a good on ice test right out of the box. Here are my thoughts:

Sizing

I am 5'7" and 170 lbs, and bought the Fit 1. Previously, I have fit well in a size small Warrior GT2, small Bauer Hyperlite, and small Bauer Pro Series. Both the Hyperlite and Pro Series had 1/2" shortened forearm length. 

The body length is a perfect fit for me, but I have always worn my C/A untucked. For someone who tucks, it could be a bit long unless you remove the half-moon flap at the very bottom. The sides are very adjustable and it was easy to find the right fit trying it on with my pants and neck guard. The back protector piece does not have any stiff foam and is made of very breathable material - this is a positive for me because I'm in Texas and it is always hot, and I run hot, too. The fight strap to attach the back piece to your pants has two snap buttons and velcro; you can choose if you want it attached looser or tighter. I choose to do it tighter and this also helps the neck of the chest protector sit higher up.

This may be the cause of what we see in the ingoal video: the chest protector back is not strapped to anything, so the weight of the front side naturally pulls it down. Attaching it to the back of the pants keeps everything in place and I did not notice any issues with it slipping down in any of my games.

The arms are somewhat adjustable, because they are connected to the body with velcro that goes through a loop. I spent a lot of time tinkering with the arm setup because they didn't feel as comfortable as the Bauer Pro Series arms out of the box. In the end, they are mostly where they started, so it was probably my brain not immediately adjusting from a broken-in C/A to a new one, and to how differently they are constructed at the back of the arm + elbow protection. Where the Pro Series arms have a U shaped tunnel for the back + elbow, the CCM A/B Pro arms are similar to a forward elbow guard that is then connected to the arm piece via more velcro straps. You can adjust how tight it is over your bicep and forearm, and this took some trial and error to figure out how I liked it. With all of that said, any lingering uncomfortableness or even a "this feels odd" went away a couple minutes into warm ups in the first game, and I never thought again about anything in what I just wrote above!

I do recommend sizing down if you're on the lower end of one size range.

Protection and Mobility

All of the arm protection is very rigid foam and plastic. I took a number of hard shots to the front of the elbow and bicep area and did not feel anything but a dull thud. The shoulder floater fronts are similarly thick and rigid, but contour nicely over your shoulders and I did not have an issue with turning my head to look behind the net. The D30 heart guard is very good at absorbing impact - there were a number of shots that would have bounced off the Bauer Pro Series heart guard that stuck to the CCM A/B Pro one for easy freezes. The rib protection is plush and excellent, and it does not come up too high to where it digs into my armpit when I'm in my stance. There is a lot of padding behind the chest and stomach blocks, too, and this is both very comfortable and extra protective.

I did not notice a difference in coverage between the arms on Pro Series vs. the A/B Pro - by which I mean that no goals went in just above or below where a small increase in elbow floater size would have made a difference between a save or a goal (Pro Series arms are not NHL legal size). The A/B Pro arms also sealed equally well to the sides of my chest. Being a smaller goalie I was somewhat worried that I'd be giving up space with the new sizing, but other than being marginally easier to get the jersey on, there weren't any new holes being exposed (at least not any that were about the C/A instead of my skill level :)).

Mobility out of the box was pretty good, but by day 3 and the last set of games, it was basically as mobile as my previously broken-in chest protectors. It can feel quite stiff when you're just trying it on and adjusting fit, but once I got it into a game I did not feel restricted, even at the very first one.

All in all, definitely my new favorite chest protector.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

@Teezle when I got the used AB18 and compared the arm blocks to the 2S pro I was using, the difference was so marginal, so unnoticeable that I really wonder how the 2S or Pro Series aren't legal. Look at some pros wearing the Hyperlight2 and Optik...there's not that much difference IMO. I do agree that the shoulders on the CCM are a tad more narrow, but nothing to bark about.

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Teezle said:

The arms are somewhat adjustable, because they are connected to the body with velcro that goes through a loop. I spent a lot of time tinkering with the arm setup because they didn't feel as comfortable as the Bauer Pro Series arms out of the box. In the end, they are mostly where they started, so it was probably my brain not immediately adjusting from a broken-in C/A to a new one, and to how differently they are constructed at the back of the arm + elbow protection. Where the Pro Series arms have a U shaped tunnel for the back + elbow, the CCM A/B Pro arms are similar to a forward elbow guard that is then connected to the arm piece via more velcro straps. You can adjust how tight it is over your bicep and forearm, and this took some trial and error to figure out how I liked it. With all of that said, any lingering uncomfortableness or even a "this feels odd" went away a couple minutes into warm ups in the first game, and I never thought again about anything in what I just wrote above!

As the owner of two similarly sized AB18s, one brand new and one well-used -

The arms do feel like they shorten up over time and use.  Once broken in, the arms will sit more naturally in a flexed position.  There is a tremendous difference in mobility between my well-used one and my brand new one.

For the internal elbow straps, I'd recommend strapping the top/bicep one a little tighter to help the entire arm piece float higher on your arm.  Combine this with a snug fit, grippy undershirt and you should have a small system to help keep the arm units in place.  Obviously tightening up the velcro where the body meets the arm is going to help shorten up the arm feel, but it sounds like you've got that dialed in.  I wear the external velcro loose as I found it easier to flex my arms that way.

20 hours ago, RichMan said:

@Teezle when I got the used AB18 and compared the arm blocks to the 2S pro I was using, the difference was so marginal, so unnoticeable that I really wonder how the 2S or Pro Series aren't legal. Look at some pros wearing the Hyperlight2 and Optik...there's not that much difference IMO. I do agree that the shoulders on the CCM are a tad more narrow, but nothing to bark about.

I got out my measuring tape: The Bauer Pro Series elbows are 7" at their widest point, the CCM A/B Pro arms are 6" at their widest point. So they are smaller, but noticing a half inch on either side of the elbow is a pretty minute detail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

Fit 2 on the left, Fit 3 on the right. I'll take comparable measurements of each.

ccm.jpg

Would like to see a measurement inside the arms of length comparison.  How much adjustability is there in the arms with velcro attachment point?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

Fit 2 on the left, Fit 3 on the right. I'll take comparable measurements of each.

ccm.jpg

You can barely notice a difference. Maybe an inch or half on the front length at best. No way I'd buy this through online, I'd have to try them on live.

Alright folks. This wasn’t quite what I expected but here are the measurements of the Fit 2 and Fit 3:

Area of Measure

Fit 2

Fit 3

Body Length  (from neck)

23.5"

Arm Length

22"

22.5"

Side Panel Height

16"

16"

Side Panel Depth

10"

10"

Floater to Floater (widest point)

18"

18"

Floater to Floater (including under cap)

22"

22.5"

Internal shoulder to shoulder (from mounting point)

13.5"

14"

Is this bang on accurate? probably not, but you can see the differences between them is about a half inch in some areas, at least on the units I have in hand.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Obiwanjabroni said:

Alright folks. This wasn’t quite what I expected but here are the measurements of the Fit 2 and Fit 3:

Area of Measure

Fit 2

Fit 3

Body Length  (from neck)

23.5"

Arm Length

22"

22.5"

Side Panel Height

16"

16"

Side Panel Depth

10"

10"

Floater to Floater (widest point)

18"

18"

Floater to Floater (including under cap)

22"

22.5"

Internal shoulder to shoulder (from mounting point)

13.5"

14"

Is this bang on accurate? probably not, but you can see the differences between them is about a half inch in some areas, at least on the units I have in hand.

For a c/a that has the least amount of adjustments, that is very surprising. I would of expected at least an inch or more of a difference here and there. Wow.

Edited by RichMan

1 hour ago, Molitygri said:

I'm 5'8 115 lbs with a 6'1 wingspan should I be in a Fit 1 or a Fit 2? I would go with Fit 1 but I'm worried the arms would be too short. Thanks!

According to the sizing chart fit 1 and 2 have identical wingspan measurements. Do you tuck or untuck?

7 hours ago, Molitygri said:

I'm 5'8 115 lbs with a 6'1 wingspan should I be in a Fit 1 or a Fit 2? I would go with Fit 1 but I'm worried the arms would be too short. Thanks!

Fit 1 would probably work best for you. I mentioned previously it's best to try these units on, as they fit on the larger side of things. If you are between sizes, it's best to size down. For reference, I'm 4 inches taller and about 85lbs larger than you, and I'm in a Fit 2.

Had an opportunity to try these on today while @ZeroGravitas was working -

Tried Fits 1-2-3.  Mainly compared them for differences with my AB18s.  Didn't really wanna take the time to compare on the differences in sizing, sorry.

Here's some quick thoughts.

1. Did not like the new backplate.  The AB18 is all one solid piece; the AB21 has a strip of air knit running horizontally through it.  Personally not a fan of it.
  2. The chest unit tends to curl inwards, probably due to the way the air mesh is segmented on the inside and the thickness of the belly blocks. 
  3. Neck guard seemed kind of flimsy compared to AB18.  But these are for decoration anyway.
  4. Arms flexed better than my new AB18 out of the box.  But the outside elbow floaters seem much flimsier than AB18.
  5. Belly blocks seemed more solid than either AB18 I currently own.
  6. I kind of liked the new shoulder floater shape.  They seem more solid.  If you see any used AB18s, you'll notice some of them tend to curl toward the outside near the side boob area (see snip below; stole from your image @Obiwanjabroni - hope you don't mind)
  7. New shoulder floaters are also VERY thick compared to AB18. 

Overall - really happy SOMEBODY finally decided to put out a high-end chest protector onto retail shelves.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Had an opportunity to try these on today while @ZeroGravitas was working -

Tried Fits 1-2-3.  Mainly compared them for differences with my AB18s.  Didn't really wanna take the time to compare on the differences in sizing, sorry.

Here's some quick thoughts.

1. Did not like the new backplate.  The AB18 is all one solid piece; the AB21 has a strip of air knit running horizontally through it.  Personally not a fan of it.
  2. The chest unit tends to curl inwards, probably due to the way the air mesh is segmented on the inside and the thickness of the belly blocks. 
  3. Neck guard seemed kind of flimsy compared to AB18.  But these are for decoration anyway.
  4. Arms flexed better than my new AB18 out of the box.  But the outside elbow floaters seem much flimsier than AB18.
  5. Belly blocks seemed more solid than either AB18 I currently own.
  6. I kind of liked the new shoulder floater shape.  They seem more solid.  If you see any used AB18s, you'll notice some of them tend to curl toward the outside near the side boob area (see snip below; stole from your image @Obiwanjabroni - hope you don't mind)
  7. New shoulder floaters are also VERY thick compared to AB18. 

Overall - really happy SOMEBODY finally decided to put out a high-end chest protector onto retail shelves.

Though I’m out of commission for the next few months, I was able to go in and try an ABPROSPEC (AB21) and I gotta agree with all your points in terms of differences. I still prefer my AB18 the arms feel somehow more substantial in them maybe I’m just saying that cause they’re stiffer giving me the illusion of more security and protection, and yeah the new elbow cup (AB21) kinda sucks imo, seemed very loose. I liked the new belly blocks…but it almost seems too thick, from a mobility perspective, minor gripe though. However I LOVE the air mesh liner, reminds me a lot of my axis 2 I had previously and boy does that help with sweat and heat (luckily I don’t sweat a ton or run hot but I know many others do). The shoulder floaters being thicker is sooo nice, however I HATE the new shape of them and it’s pretty much the whole reason I jumped on the AB18 I have instead of waiting. I much prefer more rounded profiles for head mobility, and again while the thickness of the new floaters is amazing, to me it’s not worth it, cause I tried in a fit 2 and strapped it the same as my 18, but the floaters sat tall on me almost as tall as a Brian’s Optik 3 and I’m not a short guy, 6’2”. Plus the flat wall look they give I just don’t like, don’t know why I'm just very particular. Being a goalie in another sport as well, pickiness in the position seems to carry over haha. Oh last thing about the back “plate”, it’s kind of negligible when it comes to heat management I’d assume cause it’s basically a carry over from the Axis 2 and the AB18 solid “plate” didn’t feel much hotter. One last thing the ribs I think might go a quarter block higher and the edge of the ribs is a soft airmesh foam so it doesn’t dig into you as much as the AB18, but again not that big of a deal for me personally.

Ok that was a lot but that’s all I gotta say about the new one 

• Like 1

Talking to Cody Porter about this unit some 2 months ago, he did mention that it would be a different release from what the pros wear, despite the marketing. 

We've yet to see pro-returns of this one out yet so, until we do, we won't really know for sure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RichMan said:

Talking to Cody Porter about this unit some 2 months ago, he did mention that it would be a different release from what the pros wear, despite the marketing. 

We've yet to see pro-returns of this one out yet so, until we do, we won't really know for sure.

There is a pro return unit on SLS.  Looks the same to me.  Only thing I could think of would be lesser quality plastics/foams