CCM ABPRO CHEST AND ARM PROTECTOR THREAD

1 hour ago, Madmedic6 said:

Well now that it's officially in my possession after a day of poor financial decisions. It was $750 USD. I'll be doing a side by side with the older pro  spec ab18 when I get home. 

Snapchat-2092947512.jpg

PLEASE DO!!! I got a new AB18 not long ago was loving it until i got injured (ill be back mid may) tell us how much it differs from the 18 cause i chose the 18 over waiting for this cause of the floater shape

PXL_20240412_022958371.thumb.jpg.84321013a84793a0ad3a72a7f0714a46.jpg Here's a little side by side comparison of the older ccm ab18 pro chesty and the new ccm prospect chesty. I purchased this yesterday at work so now I can talk about it. The units weight is almost identical. 

The floaters in the new unit are not as segmented and are stiffer, they also seem thicker. I'll get measurements when I can today. 

The abdomen seems similar but the new unit has the air mesh from the ef6 which I hope gives better breathability and cooling. The backplate is a soft perforated foam and is lite and flexible . 

And the arms are almost identical to the older unit. They did however tie in the elbow cup to the cuff strap. 

PXL_20240412_023540947.MP.jpg

PXL_20240412_023549423.jpg

PXL_20240412_023522078.MP.jpg

PXL_20240412_023527185.jpg

PXL_20240412_022804310.jpg

PXL_20240412_023613914.jpg

• Like 4

I was excited for these to be released till I saw that price.  Isn't the markup on beefed up customs from most brands $100 or less? I'm frequently skating with NHL players and my retail Warrior is as good as any pro kitted CA I've used.  I was hoping they'd just bump these up $50 or something. 

4 minutes ago, WONGER said:

I was excited for these to be released till I saw that price.  Isn't the markup on beefed up customs from most brands $100 or less? I'm frequently skating with NHL players and my retail Warrior is as good as any pro kitted CA I've used.  I was hoping they'd just bump these up $50 or something. 

I'd say the price is comparable to beefed up custom units from Bauer. 

I kinda was expecting the retail version to be a tad less, meaning not as thick in the arms and belly making it more flexible, lighter, but no less protective for the non-pro keepers...and no more expensive since it's off the rack, not custom. This is where Sezzle and other programs will come in handy.

@Madmedic6 is the overall fit the same? Does it sit the same on the shoulders? is the wrap the same? Anything else you can mention?

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I kinda was expecting the retail version to be a tad less, meaning not as thick in the arms and belly making it more flexible, lighter, but no less protective for the non-pro keepers...and no more expensive since it's off the rack, not custom. This is where Sezzle and other programs will come in handy.

@Madmedic6 is the overall fit the same? Does it sit the same on the shoulders? is the wrap the same? Anything else you can mention?

Fit for fit to the 18ab is the same. Though the new unit has a additional 4" of soft foam sewn to the bottom of the abdomen , like the removable part of the ef6 chesty (not removable on pro spec). 

12 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Fit for fit to the 18ab is the same. Though the new unit has a additional 4" of soft foam sewn to the bottom of the abdomen , like the removable part of the ef6 chesty (not removable on pro spec). 

So great for the untuck gang, extra puff at the belly. As much as I anticipated this unit, what I'm reading is turning me off a bit. I'm not playing pro of course, and I won't necessarily shy away from a bit more protection but having tried the AB18 on ice, that to me was the max tolerable in c/a protection. Closest to that I've used is a Brown unit.

Kaskisuo was testing one some weeks ago. He said he liked it but was still playing with his Mach. Wonder if he'll give some feedback in any upcoming video?

I wonder if you can order them without the extra lining inside?

With the design of the arms dating back to the Premier Pro of 3-4 years ago, the arms all have the tendency to wear at the same places in the same fashion. Have they improved on that with the new model?

10 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

he abdomen seems similar but the new unit has the air mesh from the ef6 which I hope gives better breathability and cooling. The backplate is a soft perforated foam and is lite and flexible . 

i saw this in the original photos, luckily i have no issues with cooling in my 18 but this is still tempting to pick up just to try

2 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

After getting to use this thing I can say it fits bulkier than the 18. My only gripe so far is that the wrist straps are nylon with not much room for adjustment as opposed to the old elastic one. 

What areas are specifically bulkier do you feel?
Shoulder floaters for sure - with the lack of segmentation i'd bet. 

The floaters definitely feel thicker and bulkier as they aren't as segmented around the shoulders. I forgot to measure the thickness between the two before I shipped the 18 to the new owner. The arms were a little stiff the first period of play but after that it felt a lot better. 

Edited by Madmedic6

2 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

The floaters definitely feel thicker and bulkier as they aren't as segmented around the shoulders. I forgot to measure the thickness between the two before I shipped the 18 to the new owner. The arms were a little stiff the first period of play but after that it felt a lot better. 

I have two AB18s, I can measure to compare

• Like 1

I just bought a used AB18 in fit 2 that fits me pretty well, it’s considerably less bulky than my medium v10 despite being a “medium”, would there be any major reason to buy the retail one or just ride out this one