NHL Will Not Participate in 2018 Olympic Games

SaveByRichter35

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-not-participate-in-2018-winter-olympics/c-288385598

The NHL announced Monday that it will not participate in the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics, ending a run of five consecutive Winter Olympics with NHL players.

"We have previously made clear that while the overwhelming majority of our clubs are adamantly opposed to disrupting the 2017-18 NHL season for purposes of accommodating Olympic participation by some NHL players, we were open to hearing from any of the other parties who might have an interest in the issue (e.g., the IOC, the IIHF, the NHLPA, etc.) as to reasons the Board of Governors might be interested in re-evaluating their strongly held views on the subject," the NHL said in a statement. "A number of months have now passed and no meaningful dialogue has materialized. Instead, the IOC has now expressed the position that the NHL's participation in Beijing in 2022 is conditioned on our participation in South Korea in 2018. And the NHLPA has now publicly confirmed that it has no interest or intention of engaging in any discussion that might make Olympic participation more attractive to the clubs. As a result, and in an effort to create clarity among conflicting reports and erroneous speculation, this will confirm our intention to proceed with finalizing our 2017-18 regular season schedule without any break to accommodate the Olympic Winter Games. We now consider the matter officially closed."

I blamed the fact that ten Blues players were on Olympic teams back in 2014 for their playoffs collapse. Naturally, I am no fan of the NHL participating in the Olympics. It should go back to being amateurs on Olympic teams.

I get that you want to play for your country. But it takes a toll on a body, and toll on the body can decimate a team. 

I miss the old days where nobodies became super stars because of the Olympics.

This is why it was never a good fit. I liked it and enjoyed it but shutting down a league is a massive lift, not to mention the jack booted thugs of the IOC being a bunch of snobs. My understanding is that the IOC was never going to insure against injuries. Bunny and TGN, I like your suggestion but was this deal ever truly amateur? Red Army and the faux "greatest goalie ever" were never amateurs.

28 minutes ago, Fullright said:

This is why it was never a good fit. I liked it and enjoyed it but shutting down a league is a massive lift, not to mention the jack booted thugs of the IOC being a bunch of snobs. My understanding is that the IOC was never going to insure against injuries. Bunny and TGN, I like your suggestion but was this deal ever truly amateur? Red Army and the faux "greatest goalie ever" were never amateurs.

No- they weren't. But the USA team were, for the most part WERE amateurs. 

The Olympics are really a farce, aren't they?

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I blamed the fact that ten Blues players were on Olympic teams back in 2014 for their playoffs collapse. Naturally, I am no fan of the NHL participating in the Olympics. It should go back to being amateurs on Olympic teams.

I get that you want to play for your country. But it takes a toll on a body, and toll on the body can decimate a team. 

I miss the old days where nobodies became super stars because of the Olympics.

TJ Oshie became TJ Sochi because of the Olympics, and a lot of non-hockey fans (people who don't care about hockey at all) know his name because of the Olympics last time. Most of the big sporting events in the Olympics are no longer amateurs, bring the best of the best and let them duke it out. WCH takes a toll on players' bodies but the NHL and owners were completely fine with it since they had a chance at earning money. This was all the owners and the NHL being the greedy billionaires they are.

4 hours ago, Fullright said:

IOC doesn't insure against injuries for any other sport so why should they for the NHL? Not only that but the IIHF stated they would cover the costs for insurance to ensure the NHL players are there and the NHL's response was "We don't want funding from the IIHF to taken from growing the sport." They don't care about growing the sport they just care about lining their pockets. Olympics are no longer amateur athletes, there are state run teams that people train on for majority of the sports and then the bigger sports are all pro athletes anyways.

The NHL set the goal posts for insurance, the IIHF scored on those goal posts and then the NHL moved it back more to make the players extend the CBA. Well the players are already getting destroyed in this CBA having to pay 15.5% of their paycheques to ensure the owners make 50/50 for revenue splitting. Why would an employee of a company have to pay into the risks of the company? Now you could argue that the players would gain profits as well from that, but for example the players in 2015 gain back just 2.05% on that 15%. So they effectively have an instant pay cut on their salaries, and based on the NHL history they will never get back in full.

This is completely on the NHL owners and is a joke. They are wasting the young and upcoming talent a chance at representing their country at the biggest tournament in the world. They are taking away a Matthews/Eichel vs McDavid/Crosby battle and countless others, they can complain about the bad timezones but the WCH had awful ratings and it was held in Toronto... so maybe it is the product on the ice and the event it is in.

I hope the IOC really sticks to their guns and doesn't allow the NHL at the Olympics in 2022 in China, where the NHL has spent considerable effort growing the game and attempting to tap into that market. I also hope some superstar players band together and hold out so they can compete, I have a feeling we'll be seeing less Russian KHL players coming over next year (rumoured were the top were going to come because of the expansion).

The Olympics are bigger than the NHL, and nothing the NHL will ever do will come close.

8 hours ago, Hills said:

TJ Oshie became TJ Sochi because of the Olympics, and a lot of non-hockey fans (people who don't care about hockey at all) know his name because of the Olympics last time. Most of the big sporting events in the Olympics are no longer amateurs, bring the best of the best and let them duke it out. WCH takes a toll on players' bodies but the NHL and owners were completely fine with it since they had a chance at earning money. This was all the owners and the NHL being the greedy billionaires they are.

IOC doesn't insure against injuries for any other sport so why should they for the NHL? Not only that but the IIHF stated they would cover the costs for insurance to ensure the NHL players are there and the NHL's response was "We don't want funding from the IIHF to taken from growing the sport." They don't care about growing the sport they just care about lining their pockets. Olympics are no longer amateur athletes, there are state run teams that people train on for majority of the sports and then the bigger sports are all pro athletes anyways.

The NHL set the goal posts for insurance, the IIHF scored on those goal posts and then the NHL moved it back more to make the players extend the CBA. Well the players are already getting destroyed in this CBA having to pay 15.5% of their paycheques to ensure the owners make 50/50 for revenue splitting. Why would an employee of a company have to pay into the risks of the company? Now you could argue that the players would gain profits as well from that, but for example the players in 2015 gain back just 2.05% on that 15%. So they effectively have an instant pay cut on their salaries, and based on the NHL history they will never get back in full.

This is completely on the NHL owners and is a joke. They are wasting the young and upcoming talent a chance at representing their country at the biggest tournament in the world. They are taking away a Matthews/Eichel vs McDavid/Crosby battle and countless others, they can complain about the bad timezones but the WCH had awful ratings and it was held in Toronto... so maybe it is the product on the ice and the event it is in.

I hope the IOC really sticks to their guns and doesn't allow the NHL at the Olympics in 2022 in China, where the NHL has spent considerable effort growing the game and attempting to tap into that market. I also hope some superstar players band together and hold out so they can compete, I have a feeling we'll be seeing less Russian KHL players coming over next year (rumoured were the top were going to come because of the expansion).

The Olympics are bigger than the NHL, and nothing the NHL will ever do will come close.

I really don't disagree with what you're saying, particularly with the WCH. Yes- Oshie became a household name. And with few exceptions, it always seems that with so many other countries, those governments put the money into those athletes. So I even understand why many feel the need to include pro athletes as Olympic teams in many countries literally rely upon donations and sponsorships. I get it.

It seems not many of the cities that host Olympics tend to benefit from the Olympics finacially. A client of mine who had inlaws in Brasil ended up getting tickets to football for nearly nothing, nobody was in the stands, and got to move to the seats of his choice. 

I actually care about the athletes, not the billionaire club owners. 

This whole argument that the Olympics are for amateurs is moot.  No one is an amateur anymore.  Everyone is paid in some sort of way.  I'm curious to see how this plays out though because in 2014 the NHL didn't commit until July so in all honesty I don't think this is over just yet.  I agree that shutting the season down midway for 3 weeks kinda sucks but I wanna see the best players play.  I don't wanna see the World Junior Championships in January and then the same tournament again a month later in the Olympics.  I don't wanna see AHL players, if they're even allowed to go.  Same goes for ECHL.  Other countries will be sending professional players from leagues such as the SEL and KHL.  I know those players are not NHL players but they're still professionals.  No one in the Olympic Ice Hockey tournament is going to be an amateur.  

Bummer.  Like Richter, I like seeing the best of the best, especially with the goaltending. Miller 2010 was just fun to watch.

I'm curious to see how the individual players and teams are going to respond to this. Ovechkin is on record stating that he will play anyways, as are a few others. Will he actually do it? And if he does, what will the Capitals do about it? It may be we see a few NHL players anyways.

SaveByRichter might be more right than he realizes about this not being a done deal just yet. I suppose the IOC can leverage the China games to get the NHL into Korea. The NHL can push the PA and vice versa over the CBA. NBC, who has all the cash on the line, hasn't chimed in yet at least publicly.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Bummer.  Like Richter, I like seeing the best of the best, especially with the goaltending. Miller 2010 was just fun to watch.

I'm curious to see how the individual players and teams are going to respond to this. Ovechkin is on record stating that he will play anyways, as are a few others. Will he actually do it? And if he does, what will the Capitals do about it? It may be we see a few NHL players anyways.

Last night I heard on one of the NHLN shows that the Capitals owner would be fine with Ovechkin and any other of his players participating.

36 minutes ago, Fullright said:

SaveByRichter might be more right than he realizes about this not being a done deal just yet. I suppose the IOC can leverage the China games to get the NHL into Korea. The NHL can push the PA and vice versa over the CBA. NBC, who has all the cash on the line, hasn't chimed in yet at least publicly.

The IOC is already using the 2022 China games as leverage for the 2018 South Korea games.  This shit is all about money, its a real shame.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This shit is all about money, its a real shame.

In the end- it's what it is all about. 

I am torn about the all-amateur vs pro athletes thing, I admit.

I admit where my sore point comes from as the Blues had ten players that were pretty well whooped and played like shite afterwards. But the best of the best concept I DO get. 

The sport does need to grow, and I suppose the Olympics are the best way.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

In the end- it's what it is all about. 

I am torn about the all-amateur vs pro athletes thing, I admit.

I admit where my sore point comes from as the Blues had ten players that were pretty well whooped and played like shite afterwards. But the best of the best concept I DO get. 

The sport does need to grow, and I suppose the Olympics are the best way.

The problem with that year was that the Blues traded away Halak for Ryan Miller who was below 900 save % in the playoffs.

An interesting idea I heard was scrapping the World Junior Championship in Olympic years and just having the Olympic tournament played by all Junior players.  Don't see it happening next year as everything is already set for Buffalo but its something to consider going forward.  At least then everyone would be on equal footing.  

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

An interesting idea I heard was scrapping the World Junior Championship in Olympic years and just having the Olympic tournament played by all Junior players.  Don't see it happening next year as everything is already set for Buffalo but its something to consider going forward.  At least then everyone would be on equal footing.  

Honestly, that would be hugely disappointing. The World Championships are already better hockey than the World Juniors are, the downgrade in quality will make it boring. The smaller teams can never compete in the Juniors.

29 minutes ago, Hills said:

Honestly, that would be hugely disappointing. The World Championships are already better hockey than the World Juniors are, the downgrade in quality will make it boring. The smaller teams can never compete in the Juniors.

Its just one of the best ways I can see of everyone being on an even level.

This isn't new, its dated 3/22/17, but figured its worth posting.  There is more than just this quote so click the link to read entire article.  I just pulled the first bit of it.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/17555953/alex-ovechkin-washington-capitals-intends-play-2018-olympics-regardless-nhl-participation

Alex Ovechkin says he plans on playing for Russia in the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea, regardless of whether or not the NHL is participating.

The Washington Capitals superstar made similar comments ahead of the Sochi Games when the NHL and NHL Players' Association hadn't yet signed off on those Olympics before finally doing just that, with Ovechkin saying he'd risk NHL suspension to play in his home Olympics.

Asked Thursday by ESPN if he would be willing to play in South Korea regardless of the NHL's ultimate Olympic decision, Ovechkin didn't hesitate.

"My decision is the same," Ovechkin said. "So, I don't know what's going to happen right now, but we just have to wait what they say and we'll see. ...

"It's a situation where you don't know what's going to happen. But obviously I said I'm going to play.''

And this is Capitals' owner Ted Leonsis stating back in December that he is ok with his players playing even if the league rules against it.  Again, there is more to the article than just this quote.

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-owner-supports-ovechkins-plan-for-2018-olympics/c-284545546

Forward Alex Ovechkin would have the support of Washington Capitals majority owner and chairman Ted Leonsis should he decide to play in the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics, even if the NHL doesn't agree to have its players participate in the tournament.

"It's not a tough spot for me," Leonsis said following the Board of Governors meeting Friday. "Alex Ovechkin and his family and the Capitals and I are in it together. He's given so much to our organization, and I would respect what he wanted to do and be very supportive of him. On this one matter I understand and I would support him."

Ovechkin said in September at the World Cup of Hockey 2016 that he would go to the Olympics to represent Russia, regardless of the NHL's decision on the participation of its players.

We'll see if he keeps his word now that its "official".

This is an interview between ESPN.com and agent Allan Walsh.  There is a video and more to the story that what I am quoting so check it out.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/19088510/nhl-controversial-outspoken-player-agent-allan-walsh-talks-concussions-olympics-really-thinks-gary-bettman

ESPN.com: Let's dive right into the Olympic debate. What kind of reaction did you get during conversations with your players?

Walsh: The players are disappointed ... we have a lot of clients who expected to be Olympic-bound. Those who were Olympic-bound are very disappointed. The general feeling among all players, whether they expected to play in the Olympics or not, is that the Olympics are good for hockey.

I don't agree with the narrative that the NHL gets nothing out of it. You have the unprecedented situation, never to be seen again probably in our lifetimes, where you have two Olympics within four years of each other in Asia, an area the NHL has targeted for future growth. To turn around now and say, "We're not going to South Korea because we don't get anything out of it," is so shortsighted. It's mind-boggling.

ESPN.com: The league argues that it hasn't found a metric that shows a quantifiable benefit from playing in the Olympics. Where do you see the benefit? Are there hard numbers you can track?

Walsh: Some of our greatest memories, going back the last five Olympics, have become ingrained inside hockey lore. Take the Czechs' dramatic win in Nagano. I happened to be back in Prague when the Czech team arrived and went and celebrated in Old Town Square, where a half a million people inside the Czech Republic were chanting and cheering. They said it was the largest crowd since the Velvet Revolution. That's not bad for hockey.

Wayne Gretzky digging the loonie out of the ice in Salt Lake -- that's not bad for hockey.

Looking at some of the dramatic moments that occurred in Vancouver, which was an incredible Winter Olympics -- and Sochi, with the shootout with Team USA ... it's not every year. It's every four years.

The NHL is enjoying a renaissance of young talent coming into the league like never before. When you've got guys like [Connor] McDavid and [Patrik] Laine and [Auston] Matthews -- I mean, we're talking about each one of them [being] potentially franchise players, at or around 20 years of age. You're denying these players the opportunity to play best-on-best on the Olympic stage. You've seen a number of older players, veteran guys, say that the people they really feel sorry for are the younger guys who have never had a chance to [play in the Olympics] and fight for their countries.

It's a terrible shame. It's a lost opportunity. If this really goes down the way it appears and the NHL does not make a deal to send their players there, it's going to have repercussions and reverberations for years to come.

ESPN.com: I keep hearing the word "if." Do you think there's still an opportunity to make a deal for 2018?

Walsh: There's no basis for anyone to express any optimism at this point. I have to take the NHL statement and Gary Bettman at his word when they say the matter is now closed. However, we all lived through 2004-05. In a matter of 48 hours we saw the NHL season canceled and almost uncanceled, if that's a word. If it's possible to uncancel a season, even though it didn't occur ... I guess it's not impossible. I just don't see any reason to believe something different will occur. I have no reason to believe there's a deal out there the NHL is interested in making.

ESPN.com: We've heard Alex Ovechkin's comments. How many guys do you think will be playing in the Olympics no matter what?

Walsh: The number of players who will want to go and say, "I'm going no matter what," could be significant. What people are losing sight of is that the NHL is going to impose a rule prohibiting their owners from allowing players to go. But without NHL approval and permission, the individual federations -- no matter how badly they want the players to play for them -- [can't do anything]. It ain't going to happen. I think there's going to be a lot of sincere pronouncements from players saying, "We want to go. We're going to go." ... But there's going to be nowhere to go to.

ESPN.com: You think the federations will deny them?

Walsh: I do. I think NHL owners who might support their players individually who want to represent their country are going to have the matters taken out of their hands -- a leaguewide rule is coming to address it. I can predict to you that's the way it's going to come down.

ESPN.com: Any idea what that punishment might be? What's your guess?

Walsh: I think the owners will be prohibited from giving approval and authorization for a player to go. I think there will be heavy fines attached to it. I think it will be so onerous, I don't think I want to go down that rabbit hole. If you're going to lose a first-round pick, how many owners are going to be on board for something like that?

ESPN.com: If a player goes on his own volition, that's not on the owner. There would have to be some player punishment as well.

Walsh: I'm sure that will be part of it as well.

ESPN.com: Anything else stand out about this?

Walsh: [The NHL] does not see the players as true partners, and by totally disregarding the players and their innate desire to represent their countries in a best-on-best Olympics, they're creating a poisonous atmosphere as we inch closer to the next round of collective bargaining. It's really difficult to have the league kick the players in the groin and then say how much they want to work with them.

ESPN.com: Is that your way of saying to prepare for another lockout?

Walsh: I think it's premature to say prepare for a lockout. What I will say, the players have been through two rounds of collective bargaining, including 2004-05, which resulted in a lost season and a lockout that lasted half a season. I think the players have now figured out what Gary's strategy is when it comes to collective bargaining, and that's: Lock the players out, soften them up, have them go without paychecks for half a season, and then go in for the kill. I doubt the players are going to sit back for a third time and allow the NHL/Bettman lockout strategy to just happen again.

Again, there is more than I quoted so check it out.

Archived