• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know nearly as much about guitars and tech as most of the people posting here, but here's my rig — 2012 Gibson SG “HH” Special. I added the tremelo bar and made a few small cosmetic changes over the years (pick guard, toggle switch, bridge, and knobs). I run it through a Vox VT40+ amplifier with plenty of reverb, and have myself a good 'ole time, despite my limited skills. I've been (slowlyyy) learning guitar on my own for the last 6 years, so it's nothing too fancy. But man, I am quite fond how it looks... I like psychedelic music, shoegaze, post-punk, etc. and this guitar felt like a good match. And I just love that dark cherry stain :)

IMG_2181.thumb.JPG.ed0639b38c3ee0cdb41d03cdfeb268d1.JPG

On 9/14/2018 at 9:36 AM, stackem30 said:

I don't know nearly as much about guitars and tech as most of the people posting here, but here's my rig — 2012 Gibson SG “HH” Special. I added the tremelo bar and made a few small cosmetic changes over the years (pick guard, toggle switch, bridge, and knobs). I run it through a Vox VT40+ amplifier with plenty of reverb, and have myself a good 'ole time, despite my limited skills. I've been (slowlyyy) learning guitar on my own for the last 6 years, so it's nothing too fancy. But man, I am quite fond how it looks... I like psychedelic music, shoegaze, post-punk, etc. and this guitar felt like a good match. And I just love that dark cherry stain :)

IMG_2181.thumb.JPG.ed0639b38c3ee0cdb41d03cdfeb268d1.JPG

Oddly enough my guitar playing is directly tied to hockey - as an 18 year in '98 old too old for the junior leagues, I'd planned to take the paycheque from my shitty summer job to get some new gear and try and make a mens team. Getting into the city I went to the hockey shop, had a mental reality check that I was most likely done and didn't really have the passion anymore and went next-door to spend my paycheque in the guitar shop instead! (£100 Squier Tele..didn't play hockey again till 2010)

I don't have pics to hand, but the current stable is:

- Japanese Fender Jazzmaster; first 'good' guitar, one of the previous owners attempted a relic job to pass it off as an old one so it has a unique look to it. changed the pickups to '65 reissues last year so its sounds more like an actual jazzmaster

- Reverend Club King 290; picked it up for >£300 which is an absolute steal given its quality and versatility 

-reissue Fender Starcaster; great guitar to play, but unfortunately the electronics are garbage and the pickups don't have the characteristics of the originals, so an overhaul is my next project

-Roland Cube 40; bought on a whim, but by far the best small amp I've ever played - use it mainly on twin reverb settings and its pretty authentic sounding, looper is also cool

-HH VS Musician; 100w solid state amp w/1x15" cab. had a combo VS musician in the rehearsal room we used to use and loved it, not very practical for home though!

Gone but not forgotten:

-Squier Vista Jagmaster; bought for my 21st birthday, but didn't use it much as my hands are too big for short scale guitars so sold it a couple of years ago when a guy was looking for one on a facebook selling group.

-1976 Fender Pro Reverb; another hockey link - bought this in london when the NHL had its 2007 premier. sounded absolutely beautiful and I still regret selling it, but it was just not practical to have in a house when you're not in a band. 

Had a bunch of other stuff too, but these are the most memorable / notable bits

16 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Ha! I paid for someone at a local shop to install that bar.

Thanks for the nice words. Like many of the goalies here, my gear is nicer than my game ?

Okay- you recognised that the vibrola install was above your paygrade; nothing wrong with that.

As long as you have either the gear or the play right- nothing is worse than being a hack AND having crap gear!

12 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Oddly enough my guitar playing is directly tied to hockey - as an 18 year in '98 old too old for the junior leagues, I'd planned to take the paycheque from my shitty summer job to get some new gear and try and make a mens team. Getting into the city I went to the hockey shop, had a mental reality check that I was most likely done and didn't really have the passion anymore and went next-door to spend my paycheque in the guitar shop instead! (£100 Squier Tele..didn't play hockey again till 2010)

I don't have pics to hand, but the current stable is:

- Japanese Fender Jazzmaster; first 'good' guitar, one of the previous owners attempted a relic job to pass it off as an old one so it has a unique look to it. changed the pickups to '65 reissues last year so its sounds more like an actual jazzmaster

- Reverend Club King 290; picked it up for >£300 which is an absolute steal given its quality and versatility 

-reissue Fender Starcaster; great guitar to play, but unfortunately the electronics are garbage and the pickups don't have the characteristics of the originals, so an overhaul is my next project

-Roland Cube 40; bought on a whim, but by far the best small amp I've ever played - use it mainly on twin reverb settings and its pretty authentic sounding, looper is also cool

-HH VS Musician; 100w solid state amp w/1x15" cab. had a combo VS musician in the rehearsal room we used to use and loved it, not very practical for home though!

Gone but not forgotten:

-Squier Vista Jagmaster; bought for my 21st birthday, but didn't use it much as my hands are too big for short scale guitars so sold it a couple of years ago when a guy was looking for one on a facebook selling group.

-1976 Fender Pro Reverb; another hockey link - bought this in london when the NHL had its 2007 premier. sounded absolutely beautiful and I still regret selling it, but it was just not practical to have in a house when you're not in a band. 

Had a bunch of other stuff too, but these are the most memorable / notable bits

Sounds like you have a nice collection of gear!

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Do it!!!!

Find your voice and play the shit out of it!!!

That trumpet has been waiting for you! 

Miles`s ghost has been calling out to me lolll. As soon as I can afford something or come across an unpassable deal, sure. For now, my focus is on updating my gear :D 

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Miles`s ghost has been calling out to me lolll. As soon as I can afford something or come across an unpassable deal, sure. For now, my focus is on updating my gear :D 

Miles’ ghost told me to tell that French Canadien guy I chat with to look harder for that horn!

?

Archived