Jonathan Bernier

RichMan

Just saw that he's now with the Red Wings. Isn't this his 5th team in 6 years? I might be off in my calculations but, is he going to be one of those goalies that just couldn't hold on to a No.1? Couldn't find a stable home? Despite his obvious talent to make it to the big league, will he become the  NHL's next victim, like Budaj has?

Im order to make it you need to be exceptional, and Bernier is certainly not that, you also have to be lucky and  timing is also a factor (who you play for/ spot available/ who's your coach....)

Here in Montreal we just got rid of Fucale - was very successful in the Juniors ( maybe too much, always playing for good teams ) we are know seeing what he's really worth good luck in Vegas!

Last week Montreal beatToronto in their first back to back pre season opener - it was mainly Torontos farm team the Marlies but last years they won the highest honors in the American League and the goalie ( I believe ) it was Sparks was thrown under the bus for a poor performance some of the broadcasters said he probably won't make the leafs 4 years in the minors already might never make the big leagues - crazy!

I used to follow Bernier closely. I think he missed his window to get that number 1 chance, and spent a few years trying to put pressure on himself to outplay Quick. Then he went to Toronto, and as usual, Toronto ruined a perfectly fine goalie. He hasn't been able to shake that off since. I recall there was a season where Quick started to slow down big time, and he appeared in a handful of games and looked like he was primed for the deal. A lot of Kings fans debated if Bernier deserved to be the guy the rest of the season, but the sent him back to Manchester, where he continued to torch the AHL. I strongly believe if he was given the reins then, things played out much differently in LA, but then again they won two cups so this speculation is moot.

It's also known he had a bit of a pout-fest when he was returned to the Lewston MAINEiacs, and also deflated him mentally. Dean Lombardi, GM at the time, once even said he made a horrible mistake and hoped it wouldn't damaged Bernier's potential. Then when he was sent to the AHL in his first real pro year, he pouted again until Manchester's GM, some dude named Ron Hextall, told him basically "dude you got good shit, prove it" and then he did in the second half. I've seen a lot of now-NHL guys play in the AHL (Miller, Montoya, Dubnyk, Johnson, Greiss, and others), and Bernier looked more NHL-geared than any of those guys in the minors. He had the stuff! Of course with the exception of Vasilevskiy; I've never seen a goalie that impressive in person before.

I think being relegated to backup when Quick was still pretty meh played a big part in his undoing as a big shot number 1. That and Toronto absolutely ruined the poor guy. His footwork and patience used to be impeccable! He was smooth, calm, and great with the puck. I remember watching him in Hartford and Bridgeport just to study him. Even started to play like him at times, coped his tape job, and took his curve on my custom sticks (PS: his real curve is awesome by the way). 

I don't think it'll happen now, but I wish it did. I think his limitations spawned from mental things, as his game is pretty airtight when he's on. I still have a Monarchs shirt with his name and number embroidered on it. 

EDIT: Also had my favorite Revoke set up ever. Wish they'd bring purple back in the NHL.

bernier_jonathan091102_3.jpg

Detroit signed him for 3 years, so I think he'll play his way into a starting role before too long. Howard's injury-prone, and the guys behind him in GR (Sateri and Rybar) probably wouldn't beat him out for the role. 

He had some nice saves last night against a mostly AHL Leafs roster, but I'm curious to see how this season goes. Hopefully we get a repeat of last year, not LA/Toronto Bernier... 

9 hours ago, Big2 said:

Im order to make it you need to be exceptional, and Bernier is certainly not that, you also have to be lucky and  timing is also a factor (who you play for/ spot available/ who's your coach....)

Great point about timing. 

Sometimes, exceptional got you drafted, but the timing never came along for you to be seen as exceptional!  I think this goes along with my point of not meshing with the current NHL coaching style. You don’t see coaches turning blue in the face screaming at everything these days. Even the screamiest are more calm. Tortorella is probably the most animated. 

I like Bernier, he's a good goalie, definitely starter material in my opinion. Not sure why he hasn't got a stable spot on a team yet. I don't see him staying in Detroit for some reason (the red sweaters don't match him ?), but who knows. I could see him with the Isles maybe. Actually, I thought the one-two combo of him and Varley in Colorado was pretty good, don't know why they didn't stick with that?

14 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Actually, I thought the one-two combo of him and Varley in Colorado was pretty good, don't know why they didn't stick with that?

Grubby is cheaper (I think). Or they see him as a near number 1. I think they're high on Francouz being a 1 or 1A in the very nea future, too. Varly's glass groin is not reliable to stay in tact through the grind of a season.  

39 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Grubby is cheaper (I think). Or they see him as a near number 1. I think they're high on Francouz being a 1 or 1A in the very nea future, too. Varly's glass groin is not reliable to stay in tact through the grind of a season.  

Grubby took the Crapitals through the stretch (when Holtby was slumping) AND he’s cheaper!

Archived