Groin injury?

EddieGoalie

So, at the end of a practice yesterday, I overextended my leg and felt a sharp pain in my inner thigh. Assuming I was fine, I finished the practice. Upon getting off the ice, I noticed I couldn't squeeze my legs together without my groin/thigh twitching. Any idea what this is? 

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Advice: Call a dr or trainer lol.  But yes it sounds like it could be groin related.

I wholeheartedly second this. Not sure of your age, but especially if you are, I dunno, say over 30...(?) if you're under 30, be smarter than I was at that age; don't ignore these things, even if you can walk around and/or play with only mild pain. Shit that I ignored from >15 years ago was immediately spotted by my physio when I went to her for an MCL injury, and likely exacerbated the injury.

There's a thread here on Injuries of the Trade; read through, and you'll see that time and time again, the advice from this community ultimately comes down to "Don't ignore, don't internet-self-diagnose; go see a medical professional!"

Hope you have a speedy recovery, whatever the diagnosis! :fistbump:

11 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I wholeheartedly second this. Not sure of your age, but especially if you are, I dunno, say over 30...(?) if you're under 30, be smarter than I was at that age; don't ignore these things, even if you can walk around and/or play with only mild pain. Shit that I ignored from >15 years ago was immediately spotted by my physio when I went to her for an MCL injury, and likely exacerbated the injury.

There's a thread here on Injuries of the Trade; read through, and you'll see that time and time again, the advice from this community ultimately comes down to "Don't ignore, don't internet-self-diagnose; go see a medical professional!"

Thanks! I have a practice later today, if I feel off I'll get it checked out. 

5 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Couldn't agree more. I am a certified athletic trainer I can tell you its better to go get it evaluated by a doc or your trainer than to just let it go. The one thing you don't want is to do the whole wait and see thing and then for it to get worse next time you exercise or are on the ice.  It sounds like a groin related issue, but go see a medical professional. It's better to get evaluated now, as groin related issues can be tricky and if left for too long can require a lengthy recovery period, so better to get it looked at now. 

Side note: I will also reiterate the "be smarter than I was" sentiment I let things go all the time when I was younger  and am now dealing with the consequences now that I'm over 30.  

10 minutes ago, Harkonnen26 said:

Couldn't agree more. I am a certified athletic trainer I can tell you its better to go get it evaluated by a doc or your trainer than to just let it go. The one thing you don't want is to do the whole wait and see thing and then for it to get worse next time you exercise or are on the ice.  It sounds like a groin related issue, but go see a medical professional. It's better to get evaluated now, as groin related issues can be tricky and if left for too long can require a lengthy recovery period, so better to get it looked at now. 

Side note: I will also reiterate the "be smarter than I was" sentiment I let things go all the time when I was younger  and am now dealing with the consequences now that I'm over 30.  

Thanks! Should I do some stretches?

4 hours ago, Harkonnen26 said:

I can't give you recommendations because I haven't done an eval on it. What I can say is that if its painful, weak and/or tender then hold off and go see an MD or trainer first to get it looked at. Better safe than sorry. 

Like I said, my thigh twitches when my legs are together. 

Web MD says you have cancer.  I disagree and think its probably an adductor strain.  Like others have said, get it checked because if its a grade 1 and you choose to play through it, before long it's a grade 3 and you can kiss at least 3 months of ice time goodbye.  Better to rest and rehab a minor injury a week or two, then tough it out and lose months.

5 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Web MD says you have cancer.  I disagree and think its probably an adductor strain.  Like others have said, get it checked because if its a grade 1 and you choose to play through it, before long it's a grade 3 and you can kiss at least 3 months of ice time goodbye.  Better to rest and rehab a minor injury a week or two, then tough it out and lose months.

When I tore my MCL, WebMD told me it was either an MCL tear (which is what I suspected) or an osteosarcoma and would probably lose the leg.  Medical school > Google search.

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Definitely isn't cancer, probably a grade 1 strain, maybe grade 2

Go see a doctor but if you're like me, don't. 

If you can do certain movements that you usually do, stretch, if you feel pain don't go on the ice. If you don't, put your equipment on and try it out. If you feel pain stay off, groin injuries can take 2 to 6 weeks depending on the extent of the injury. I heal up, don't need a doc. 

Archived