Rust on Skates?

Goalline

I am just 3 games in on my True 2-pieces.  Loving the skates, but holy rust on the StepSteel!  Anyone else experiencing this?  Never had a skate rust so quickly.  I am wiping the blades down after playing, then once again at home, then air drying.  It's not working.  Anyone have a similar experience or ideas how to fix? 

Do you take your skate soakers off after you get home? 

I've never had an issue with rust and I keep the soakers on between skates.  Someone told me once that the fabric on the soakers helps pull moisture away from the steel.  Not sure if it’s true, but I’ve always done it this way since then 

Never used soakers. Good suggestions, guys.  i will experiment.  I do think there's just something about the steel itself, as I've never had this problem before.  Looks like others on Reddit have had this issue come up as well, and with Step Steel specifically.    

this is the thread. 

4 hours ago, Goalline said:

I am just 3 games in on my True 2-pieces.  Loving the skates, but holy rust on the StepSteel!  Anyone else experiencing this?  Never had a skate rust so quickly.  I am wiping the blades down after playing, then once again at home, then air drying.  It's not working.  Anyone have a similar experience or ideas how to fix? 

Thought stainless didn't rust?

Get them sharpened and then rub them over with a 3-1 oil. Keeps the rust off.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get rust on my skates even after wiping them down thoroughly. Only after I started storing them upside down did it stop. I also take the skate guards off and the foot beds out. After a few hours or overnight I flip them over and put the guards back on to let the insides of the skates dry out. I’ll put the foot beds back in after the insides of the skates are dry. I also have a dehumidifier in the room I air out my stuff. 

On 11/9/2018 at 3:03 PM, Chenner29 said:

Do you take your skate soakers off after you get home? 

I've never had an issue with rust and I keep the soakers on between skates.  Someone told me once that the fabric on the soakers helps pull moisture away from the steel.  Not sure if it’s true, but I’ve always done it this way since then 

I keep mine on as well.  After I play, I wipe the blade down then put the soakers on and never touch them again until I play next.  Can't really ever remember having rust except maybe a spec or two on the bottom of the blade.

Archived