Vaughn ventus SLR pro carbon C/A vs bauer vapor 1x C/A

Hi everyone 1st post so let me know if I'm breaking any rules. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the above C/As and which I would prefer more. For reference I'm a more mobile/reactive goalie and I'm coming off an intermediate large Bauer Reactor 7000. Really liked it but feeling more and more stingers.

The SLR will be more mobile than the 1X at least at first, but the Vaughn units tend to be more prone to stingers in the bicep area without a pro beef up package. 

I went to an SLR from a Reactor 9000 and thought it was great other than the occasional arm shot. The SLR arms are also a little more adjustable, which is good at first, but later I found it hard to keep them in the same spot consistently from game to game. I prefer a more fixed arm attachment like laces. 

I only have experience with the 1X in store, but my feelings (which were echoed by another user on here) were that it was too stiff especially bringing your arms forward. After it is broken in, it may very well be an awesome unit, but that break in will be a doozy. 

Hey everybody thanks for the replies! Found a great deal on an s190 and am thinking it might be a good alternative to a 1X. Does anyone know how protective it is. I know its mobile just worried about the protection.

2 hours ago, #16 said:

Hey everybody thanks for the replies! Found a great deal on an s190 and am thinking it might be a good alternative to a 1X. Does anyone know how protective it is. I know its mobile just worried about the protection.

Your CA is one spot you want pro protection for sure.  You’ll likely end up with stingers, so if you go that route you might want to invest in a padded shirt 

Been using the original Ventus carbon chesty (the orange and grey one) and have faced some real heaters over the past two or three years. Very nice chesty, light and breaks in easily. It actually has more padding than the other Vaughn chest protectors. Unless you are in the NHL, you probably do not need any beef up package. Matter of fact, it has removable padding under the shoulder floaters and I’ve had them out since I bought it. I can’t really remember having any stingers. There was one or two over the years which I felt but left no marks or bruises. Nothing major. It’s also been a set and forget, haven’t had any issues with the Velcro or ties/straps on it. I do think it is best used if you are not a tucker (or you can take out the front piece if you are). I reversed the tie in the front to go behind the floating pad and I just run a short lace from my pants belt through that. If you can score a deal on one of the Ventus models that looks similar, do it. They only really changed the color of this over the years and maybe changed the arm nylon to mesh. Everything else is the same. 

Heres one if any of you are an adult large: https://bpcycle.com/goalie/chest-protectors/sr/vaughn/vaughn-ventus-lt98-chest-protector-sr.html

OP- heres one that would be a bit bigger than the intermediate large. Same one I use. https://www.goalieking.com/senior-chest-protectors/chest-arms-vaughn-ventus-lt98-pro-senior-2

Archived