Bauer 1S - Curtis McElhinney Stick First Impressions

Adam Cooper

I picked this stick up the other week at Scotiabank Arena's shop where they sell used gear by the Leafs.  They sell everything from skates, helmets, sticks, gloves, pads, etc.  It's not often I see a stick like this in such great shape and for only $200 CAD.  A stick for Andersen is about triple that cost and to be honest, I probably would not use one of his sticks for my hockey.  This was one of two sticks left by Curtis.  The other one was all taped up and I preferred this one so I could see if there was any damage.

Anyway, I've never had a high end stick like this before.  My most expensive goalie stick probably only cost me about $120 CAD so this is a nice upgrade from my current Bauer S27.  The 1S is just so incredibly light.  It almost feels like I'm using a player stick it's that light.  It is going to be really hard going back to a low end stick again.  

Looking forward to the next review. I've got a 2S that I am really enjoying. I'm on the ice anywhere from 3-7 times a week and it has held up remarkably well for the last few months. Every 2 weeks I give it a cleaning so it looks like a new stick. Pretty easy to justify the extra expense if it's going to be this durable!

Are you in Southern Ontario? I'd be willing to fire you the 2S at some point if you wanted to do a comparison. Anyway, I enjoy your channel and reviews. Spot on with execution!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback @aircanuck  Good for you that you get to play that often. With family and work I’m only able to do twice a week. I never thought of cleaning my stick. Great idea as I try to clean my pads once a year.  

Great to hear it’s so durable.  That makes spending $200 worth it. I’m in Toronto.  I’m hoping to do a fun collaboration video in the coming weeks with another goalie YouTuber. Can’t say more than that but it’s going to be fun and it’s focused on gear. 

As for the 2S, thanks for the offer. I’ll be very interested to see how that cutout section holds up.  If I run out of video ideas I may have to take you up on that offer. 

44 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

As for the 2S, thanks for the offer. I’ll be very interested to see how that cutout section holds up.  If I run out of video ideas I may have to take you up on that offer. 

I heard enough issues about the durability with that Pro cut out section that I just went with the straight 2S. Very close to what you have I think. I'll keep my eyes on your youtube!

Archived