Would I Sacrifice Too Much Protection Wearing Goalie Pants A Size Smaller Than Recommended?

Alright, so let me give you a little background here. I'm 5'10, 160lbs with a 32-33 size waist (I'm about 6'2 on skates if that even matters, I don't think it does but, wanted to mention it in case) and I have noticed a certain level of restriction in my senior medium Bauer goalie pants used with my 34+1 Bauer M5Pros (I know it's not the pads because the thigh rise sits perfectly on my legs and my knees land directly on the knee block). To describe the restriction further I mean when I get up from the VH, RVH and sometimes even the butterfly where my pads get caught under the pant leg. It has certainly got better over time as I have gotten used to them but I'm beginning to wonder if I've developed some kind of tolerance for this or if its completely normal for this to happen. 

Sorry if I'm a little long-winded here, this led me to the question, would I be able to wear a size small (meaning switching from a size medium to a size small) without sacrificing too much protection? If anyone could help me decide if this is a good idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by AnotherRandomGoalie

A few years back I was ordering a set of Goal Pants from John Brown. I am 5'7", 165 lbs. John was reluctant to make them to my specs. I too wanted trimmer pants. His mantra was the bigger the better, affording more puck stopping area.

Being a class act, Mr. Brown did indeed deliver exactly what I wanted, even though it meant reconfiguring his patterns. I found them comfortable, much less bulky and lighter, of course.

DSC_0012.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0008.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

It sounds like both your pants and pads are too big. I don’t even fit in 34s and I’m 5’11”

I switched from a pair of 32+1 Bauer 3s pros and my knee was completely off the block by at least a good 2 inches, so I don't think the pads are too big. So you think I should wear at least a small in the pants?

38 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

A few years back I was ordering a set of Goal Pants from John Brown. I am 5'7", 165 lbs. John was reluctant to make them to my specs. I too wanted trimmer pants. His mantra was the bigger the better, affording more puck stopping area.

Being a class act, Mr. Brown did indeed deliver exactly what I wanted, even though it meant reconfiguring his patterns. I found them comfortable, much less bulky and lighter, of course.

DSC_0012.jpeg

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0008.jpeg

Are you suggesting Brown custom pants then?

33 minutes ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

Are you suggesting Brown custom pants then?

No, no, no.  That will be your decision. Ideally we should be able to try on various styles and manufacturers but that choice seems to be a rarity these days.

Good luck on your quest ARG.

5 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

Alright, so let me give you a little background here. I'm 5'10, 160lbs with a 32-33 size waist (I'm about 6'2 on skates if that even matters, I don't think it does but, wanted to mention it in case) and I have noticed a certain level of restriction in my senior medium Bauer goalie pants used with my 34+1 Bauer M5Pros (I know it's not the pads because the thigh rise sits perfectly on my legs and my knees land directly on the knee block). To describe the restriction further I mean when I get up from the VH, RVH and sometimes even the butterfly where my pads get caught under the pant leg. It has certainly got better over time as I have gotten used to them but I'm beginning to wonder if I've developed some kind of tolerance for this or if its completely normal for this to happen. 

Sorry if I'm a little long-winded here, this led me to the question, would I be able to wear a size small (meaning switching from a size medium to a size small) without sacrificing too much protection? If anyone could help me decide if this is a good idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

If i remember correctly most manufactures use the same length of pants regardless of size and only change the waist. I am roughly the same waist and height as you but weight roughly 185 and wear size large ccm pros which seem to fit a little shorter than other companies. I had the issue of other pants being too long and when i would drop into my Bf the pants would sometimes snag on the side of the pad and push up. Before the ccms I went with Simmons and had them do custom length for me i went with large waist and medium length. Most companies will do custom pants these days so that is always an option.

7 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

Pads might be a little bit big for you, I’m 6’1 wearing size medium (34+) Bauer mach. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockey34 said:

Pads might be a little bit big for you, I’m 6’1 wearing size medium (34+) Bauer mach. 

I'm 5'11, almost 6'0, but I wear XL Ultrasonics. I have an 18" ATK/21" FTK. I wear small Vaughn pants, but I have not experienced any interference or problems with protection. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

Going down a waist size in pants only takes an inch from overall pant length

What part of the pad is getting caught? Guessing outer gusset but it's best to be specific

Could be how the pants are sitting around leg.  Are you wearing suspenders and how do you integrate your chest
Are the pants new

Pictures of your issue would be the best bet
Need to see how the pants sit on your leg with your pads on and what part of the pad is getting caught

If your pants are super short they may get caught on the outer gusset (ie if Quick's pants below ended at the red line)

image.png.192eb80e65df3e2283298e910a51e352.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

It sounds like both your pants and pads are too big. I don’t even fit in 34s and I’m 5’11”

I thing you have short leg. I’m 6ft and have ftk 20.5 and it’s seem pretty normal. My 3 other friend has the same ftk 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Going down a waist size in pants only takes an inch from overall pant length

What part of the pad is getting caught? Guessing outer gusset but it's best to be specific

Could be how the pants are sitting around leg.  Are you wearing suspenders and how do you integrate your chest
Are the pants new

Pictures of your issue would be the best bet
Need to see how the pants sit on your leg with your pads on and what part of the pad is getting caught

If your pants are super short they may get caught on the outer gusset (ie if Quick's pants below ended at the red line)

image.png.192eb80e65df3e2283298e910a51e352.png

I'll try to get some pictures. The outer gusset does seem to be the part getting caught. I currently don't wear a set of suspenders as I wasn't sure that would make a huge difference, but I'd be interested in trying some. I believe my pants sit below the red line, they aren't very short.

Edited by AnotherRandomGoalie

This is really a matter of your risk tolerance and what you want. I'm a runt at 5'5" and 165 lbs. (60 yrs old and been playing since 1971). At my dimensions, I could never rely on filing net with my gear. I need to be able to move. So, for pants, I wear a junior XL goalie pant. The smallest size senior pant was just too big and bulky. I wear old school pads- size 31" D&R LG 55 (I dont know how to interpret the plus 1 or plus 2 business) with Warrior knee pads and the smallest senior pant always snagged the top of the pad. This was the case for me even in junior or college. This has led to bruises I would not otherwise get with bigger gear but I can move wearing the smaller pants. So that's the trade off for me but I've always been worried more about stinking the joint out instead of a few dents.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I'm 5'11, almost 6'0, but I wear XL Ultrasonics. I have an 18" ATK/21" FTK. I wear small Vaughn pants, but I have not experienced any interference or problems with protection. 

I must’ve scrolled past this one, I think the sizing really different for everyone. Depending on if you have shorter or longer legs.

2 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

I must’ve scrolled past this one, I think the sizing really different for everyone. Depending on if you have shorter or longer legs.

Don't worry about that guy you responded to.

Every third post here he writes out the same thing about wearing XL Bauers

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2023 at 11:23 AM, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

For a exemple you could play with a medium goalie pant. If you feel you lost protection most of goalie pant on market offer a 1inch extension. 

Bauer and ccm offer that 

• Like 1

Warrior pants are made so the small has the shortest length compared to the other larger sizes that have longer leg lengths.  I bought the senior small to make my pants and pads interfere with each other less.  They're a tiny bit tight, but that's because I'm around 220 lbs., and 5'6", so it's on me to lose some weight and make more space.  

• Like 1