CCM 580/581 / Vapor 90

pfeiffjay54

Today I went into source for sports in London and tried Ccm 581 and bauers new vapor 90, the 581 felt unusable, super cheap and didn’t feel like a 580 at all. Also eflex 6 580 is a weird shape and closes terrible, sad to see such bad quality from Ccm. Vapor 90 felt great shape is a little different than Ccm/true 580 but not bad at all. Here’s some pictures

3A8408A8-AFA2-44FC-A0C7-8C4E6E46646B.jpeg

080819D1-31E4-4E8B-8E14-29D9B60C1EC3.jpeg

F1E003DD-E087-4DDD-9B2D-FDD361B74B26.jpeg

3E29701D-A130-441E-B3C5-8A634794E94C.jpeg

Edited by pfeiffjay54
Didn’t mean to upload
  • Like 1

• pfeiffjay54 changed the title to CCM 580/581 / Vapor 90

Interesting, when I tried our stock 581 at monkey sports I was surprised by how much better it was than the previous 591. I’d go so far as saying I preferred 581 over most Vaughn breaks and possibly even over my Mach glove. I think 581 is a step in the right direction for ccm it simply needs to be softer off the shelf. That said I’d still take a normal 590 any day since it’s what I’m used to and I know it’s reliable. I’ll probably try and pick up someone’s used 6.9 glove and see if it’ll break in nicely

Vapor 90 is sort of a pancake 580.  

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

Today I went into source for sports in London and tried Ccm 581 and bauers new vapor 90, the 581 felt unusable, super cheap and didn’t feel like a 580 at all. Also eflex 6 580 is a weird shape and closes terrible, sad to see such bad quality from Ccm. Vapor 90 felt great shape is a little different than Ccm/true 580 but not bad at all. Here’s some pictures

3A8408A8-AFA2-44FC-A0C7-8C4E6E46646B.jpeg

080819D1-31E4-4E8B-8E14-29D9B60C1EC3.jpeg

F1E003DD-E087-4DDD-9B2D-FDD361B74B26.jpeg

3E29701D-A130-441E-B3C5-8A634794E94C.jpeg

Do you have any pics of the backhand and internals? I'm curios if the Vapor 90 removed the wrist strap like Mach did.

7 minutes ago, heyclaytay said:

Do you have any pics of the backhand and internals? I'm curios if the Vapor 90 removed the wrist strap like Mach did.

Spoke to Bauer about this previously and it will have a more traditional construction on the backside - so there will be a wrist strap, unlike Mach.

23 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Interesting, when I tried our stock 581 at monkey sports I was surprised by how much better it was than the previous 591. I’d go so far as saying I preferred 581 over most Vaughn breaks and possibly even over my Mach glove. I think 581 is a step in the right direction for ccm it simply needs to be softer off the shelf. That said I’d still take a normal 590 any day since it’s what I’m used to and I know it’s reliable. I’ll probably try and pick up someone’s used 6.9 glove and see if it’ll break in nicely

Oh nice, I love me a pancake glove.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 5:52 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Do explain the pancake analogy

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Do explain the pancake analogy

Where a traditional ccm/true 580 has a super steep thumb angle towards the pocket, the vapor 90 is a good bit flatter. Still funnels just as well. Basically the palm is shallower than ccm/true 580s

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 2:41 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Where a traditional ccm/true 580 has a super steep thumb angle towards the pocket, the vapor 90 is a good bit flatter. Still funnels just as well. Basically the palm is shallower than ccm/true 580s

That's debatable.   Maybe the Vapor 90 does, but the older Vaughn "Kipper style" pancake gloves were horrible spit-out machines.  My experiences there would make it hard for me to want to go backwards to that.  

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

That's debatable.   Maybe the Vapor 90 does, but the older Vaughn "Kipper style" pancake gloves were horrible spit-out machines.  My experiences there would make it hard for me to want to go backwards to that.  

That's a good point I'll keep in mind. If I had larger hands I'd probably be all for the more curve, but at this point even bit of torque in closure power/ease is what I'm after.  I'm wondering in comparison to the older glove you mention, if more modern gloves do a better job with just having larger deeper pockets? Maybe slightly better funneling? I haven't heard any pop out issues from Vapor 90 users yet. Any users care to comment? 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:28 AM, IpaddyTECH said:

That's a good point I'll keep in mind. If I had larger hands I'd probably be all for the more curve, but at this point even bit of torque in closure power/ease is what I'm after.  I'm wondering in comparison to the older glove you mention, if more modern gloves do a better job with just having larger deeper pockets? Maybe slightly better funneling? I haven't heard any pop out issues from Vapor 90 users yet. Any users care to comment? 

Let's be honest, feel is the most important thing.  The only set of Bauer I've ever owned was a Hyperlite build, but I had to go to the Ultrasonic glove because the HL just felt WRONG.   I can see how some would love it, but not my bag at all.      It seems counterintuitive that a glove that presents flat would funnel well, but looking at the pic earlier in the thread, the V90 has a pretty steep thumb angle.  

You're totally right on the feel thing. I'm just one of those unlucky guys that lives about 8+ hours from any decent gear shop and largely has had to order gear online without getting to try it on. Throw in even 90 degree gloves are rare and almost never in stock and my situation gets trickier. I just enjoy everybody's' thoughts here and I think it's helped me narrow things down. Thanks all! When I do take the plunge and custom order either a Vapor 90, or whatever the new brian's 90 break will be (doubt I can wait that long), I'll be sure to do a review. 

23 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Let's be honest, feel is the most important thing.  The only set of Bauer I've ever owned was a Hyperlite build, but I had to go to the Ultrasonic glove because the HL just felt WRONG.   I can see how some would love it, but not my bag at all.      It seems counterintuitive that a glove that presents flat would funnel well, but looking at the pic earlier in the thread, the V90 has a pretty steep thumb angle.  

21 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

You're totally right on the feel thing. I'm just one of those unlucky guys that lives about 8+ hours from any decent gear shop and largely has had to order gear online without getting to try it on. Throw in even 90 degree gloves are rare and almost never in stock and my situation gets trickier. I just enjoy everybody's' thoughts here and I think it's helped me narrow things down. Thanks all! When I do take the plunge and custom order either a Vapor 90, or whatever the new brian's 90 break will be (doubt I can wait that long), I'll be sure to do a review. 

Like @Puckstopper said it is 100% a feel thing. I strayed from the 580 with a set of custom 2X Pro and the glove felt so wrong I sold the whole set. I went back to CCM w/ Axis... and the 580 felt more normal to me... but just couldn't get it to ever feel "right." Fast forward 18 months or so and I picked up a new pro-stock True 580... single T... and it's glorious. Only worn it twice now... so it still needs some break in time... but it's the closest to what I think a "real 580" is. So FWIW @IpaddyTECH... if you want a full 580 experience and order a custom set... do yourself a favor and pick up a True... and IMO a single T.

27 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Like @Puckstopper said it is 100% a feel thing. I strayed from the 580 with a set of custom 2X Pro and the glove felt so wrong I sold the whole set. I went back to CCM w/ Axis... and the 580 felt more normal to me... but just couldn't get it to ever feel "right." Fast forward 18 months or so and I picked up a new pro-stock True 580... single T... and it's glorious. Only worn it twice now... so it still needs some break in time... but it's the closest to what I think a "real 580" is. So FWIW @IpaddyTECH... if you want a full 580 experience and order a custom set... do yourself a favor and pick up a True... and IMO a single T.

image.png.c8b1e52f1c75cbc8f06df23d2a2bd1bd.png

• Haha 1

Haha all good points and I appreciate the help. I was able to try a true 590 (I know not the 580, but it gave me a feel for True gloves), and the deal breaker for me is that it seems more for average to large hand sized guys. Couldn't comfortably get my hand far enough into the glove to have any decent closing power. I've never seen anything in the forums and customizers, but does True have an intermediate palm option? I've only ever seen that in Bauer, Warrior, and Brians. 

1 hour ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Haha all good points and I appreciate the help. I was able to try a true 590 (I know not the 580, but it gave me a feel for True gloves), and the deal breaker for me is that it seems more for average to large hand sized guys. Couldn't comfortably get my hand far enough into the glove to have any decent closing power. I've never seen anything in the forums and customizers, but does True have an intermediate palm option? I've only ever seen that in Bauer, Warrior, and Brians. 

Vaughn does intermediate hands too. CCM appears to via the customizer that's on Goalie Monkey's website.

I don't believe that True does, but someone else probably knows more definitively.