Worth trying other pads?

Peter36

17 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I have been using Vaughn ever since I started playing. I have always wondered if there is a way to try other types of pads? Are there other brands besides Vaughn that you guys think are better? I'm currently in VE8.

Stepping outside your comfort zone is always a great thing.  That applies not only to goalie gear, but to life!

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

I have been using Vaughn ever since I started playing. I have always wondered if there is a way to try other types of pads? Are there other brands besides Vaughn that you guys think are better? I'm currently in VE8.

I always have an itch to try new gear.  Since moving out of a Smith set that I had for 7+ years I’ve used Boddam, Passau and Warrior GT Pros.

I’d still love to demo - CCM EF3/4s, P2s,  Bauer 1/2X, Vaughn SLR/2 and the New Passau platform.

I’m constantly wondering what other lines are offering and how they mesh with my game/style

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

I always have an itch to try new gear.  Since moving out of a Smith set that I had for 7+ years I’ve used Boddam, Passau and Warrior GT Pros.

I’d still love to demo - CCM EF3/4s, P2s,  Bauer 1/2X, Vaughn SLR/2 and the New Passau platform.

I’m constantly wondering what other lines are offering and how they mesh with my game/style

Exactly what I am wondering

10 hours ago, Peter36 said:

9 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Similar to @cwarnar I always get an itch... if I'm not trying to demo a set I'm modifying what I have to some degree. I pretty much grew up in Lefevre with small stints in other brands through the years... but always came back to Lefevre. This past fall I demo'd 2S and 1X... and while they're very different from the EF line I'm wearing now... I have decided to make the switch to a custom set of 2X Pro soon.

I can understand the value in keeping with a single line... not having equipment being a thought and allowing you to focus on other aspects of your game. But I feel there is definitely value in going outside what you know... sometimes to figure out what you want... other times to figure out what you don't want. 

If you do try things other than Vaughn you will notice that everything, aside from CCM, is a good bit lighter. A lot of new pads are sitting near the 4.5lb mark while CCM and Vaughn are closer to the 5lb mark.

Like many of you, I would like to try every single piece of gear out there, especially pads. I will probably try to get some demo time through goalie monkey this summer. especially since goalie monkey is clearing there demo pad stock to fill with new stuff. Until then, I'll probably keep modding my Vaughn's.

Archived