What Slides the Best

Peter36

19 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

What pads do you guys think slide the best and why?

here's a basic run down from my test. This is all empirical data gathered and is essentially my opinion. I have not done scientific testing...

Jenpro - Slowest

Weave - Little faster

Speed Skin / OD1N CORtech - Lightnight on fast ice, but slows down a bit on bad or choppy ice

Opti-Slide - Slides great on all ice

Material is no substitute for proper technique and leg strength.  I think the whole "which slides best" point is definitely beating a dead horse.  How much do you really "need" to use slides in a game.  I think as non-pros we tend to put too much emphasis on it.

Most professional and semi-pro goalies are still in Jenpro.  While Optislide, Speedskin and Quick Slide are gaining popularity I don't see the big guns making mass changes (Look at how the cowlingless skate took the show by storm) because the sliding materials aren't drastically changing the game.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, TheGoalNet said:

here's a basic run down from my test. This is all empirical data gathered and is essentially my opinion. I have not done scientific testing...

Jenpro - Slowest

Weave - Little faster

Speed Skin / OD1N CORtech - Lightnight on fast ice, but slows down a bit on bad or choppy ice

Opti-Slide - Slides great on all ice

How much would you say the CORtech slows down compared to Vaughn's new Quickslide?

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Material is no substitute for proper technique and leg strength.  I think the whole "which slides best" point is definitely beating a dead horse.  How much do you really "need" to use slides in a game.  I think as non-pros we tend to put too much emphasis on it.

Most professional and semi-pro goalies are still in Jenpro.  While Optislide, Speedskin and Quick Slide are gaining popularity I don't see the big guns making mass changes (Look at how the cowlingless skate took the show by storm) because the sliding materials aren't drastically changing the game.

I agree, but also disagree. Sliding is a big part of the game today.

Just now, Peter36 said:

How much would you say the CORtech slows down compared to Vaughn's new Quickslide?

I have not used QuickSlide, but it's a nearly identical material to Brian's Opti-Slide. I am taking and educated guess that it works well.

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

I have not used QuickSlide, but it's a nearly identical material to Brian's Opti-Slide. I am taking and educated guess that it works well.

Does the Optician's-Slide/QuickSlide still slide really well even when the ice is beat up?

I HAVE GTs but I've heard from G4 users (I'm curious to see what the G5s will offer for upgrades) but AirSlide seems to offer the same sliding benefits of jenpro with less sliding surface, reducing friction and improving sliding late in games when the ice is chewed up

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I HAVE GTs  but I've heard from G4 users (I'm curious to see what the G5s will offer for upgrades) but AirSlide seems to offer the same sliding benefits of jenpro with less sliding surface, reducing friction and improving sliding late in games when the ice is chewed up

My bad. I'm a smart. Thank you though.

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

No worries... I've been looking for a cheap set.of G4's just to compare to my GTs.

Be curious if theres much a difference

From what I've heard, GT2 with weave is almost as good as the G4 airslide. 

This is coming from a guy who's had every warrior pad on release since the G2

Archived