Brian’s Optik vs GNetik 4 - Seal question

Jonathon v

Hey so I thought i would throw in these side by side pictures of the two pads while I was at Jerry’s. The gnetik 4 has a slight 5 hole gap even though it is extremely tiny. Optik is rock solid. I’m wondering if this could be because of the extra torsional flex on the gnetik 4, even though they seem to have about the exact same vertical flex (gnetik 4 with a 1,3,4 and FLY optik) or could it be that I think the gnetik 4 has an 84 degree taper and fly optik is 90 I believe.  Just trying to figure this out for my future dream set of custom Brian’s pads :). Gnetik is  the left pad

Another thing I noticed is the optik outer roll is STIFF. Gnetik 4 outer roll is squishy, and it very possible that it is because the optik outer roll is basically just the face of the pad, while the gnetik 4 outer roll is acess padding, which makes it soft... I wonder how that could affect rebounds 13B032A6-F6D2-4DD8-87F0-13ED0E5C63AA.thumb.jpeg.acf06286892ea1419e03b77fc2043b2d.jpeg 

13B032A6-F6D2-4DD8-87F0-13ED0E5C63AA.thumb.jpeg.acf06286892ea1419e03b77fc2043b2d.jpeg

F919E599-5FE7-4243-85B3-705DFB9DEE4E.jpeg

1909189E-FAFA-4309-85D4-1E03C04B5B4D.jpeg

Did you check with someone on the pad? The GNetik IV has firmer knee blocks compared to Optik. This is designed to help with seal. Both the GNetik IV and Optik have a laced in knee block. This helps drive the pad down. 

Maybe with with someone actually in the pad, you’d see different results 

3 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Jerry's!  Used to be my hometown shop but now I live in Wisconsin so I only stop about once a year.  What is your question exactly?

It was kind of about the seal but mostly me just making theories about the pads :)

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Did you check with someone on the pad? The GNetik IV has firmer knee blocks compared to Optik. This is designed to help with seal. Both the GNetik IV and Optik have a laced in knee block. This helps drive the pad down. 

Maybe with with someone actually in the pad, you’d see different results 

Would a firm knee block on optik even help the seal it’s already near perfect. 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

But did you try this with any body weight on the pads?

I put my knees on the knee landing at the store and the seal was still good. If I actually strapped the pad to my leg the thigh would probably pull up as my ankle pushes down on the boot 

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

I put my knees on the knee landing at the store and the seal was still good. If I actually strapped the pad to my leg the thigh would probably pull up as my ankle pushes down on the boot 

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I am not questioning the Optik seal. I am questioning if you are underselling the GNetik seal because you don't have body weight on that pad. Pad seal is designed with assuming a goalie of 150 lbs or more will be holding them down

14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I am not questioning the Optik seal. I am questioning if you are underselling the GNetik seal because you don't have body weight on that pad. Pad seal is designed with assuming a goalie of 150 lbs or more will be holding them down

Oh ya I think they seal good even when no weight is on the pad. What I’m saying is that in my opinion when my weight is in the pad and weight on my ankle or my ankle pushing down to keep the boot of the pad on the ice causes the thigh to stay up. 

In your original post, you mentioned the Optik outer roll. As per my understanding, the Optik outer roll is not as effective as a thicker outer roll at preventing skip overs, though they are an extremely rare case. The Optik outer roll is said to have the added benefit of adding flexibility and saving weight, maybe minimally. Having a thin outer roll doesn't seem like it would be too big of a problem, just look at all the examples in the pros in both Brian's Optik and Bauer gear. 

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Oh ya I think they seal good even when no weight is on the pad. What I’m saying is that in my opinion when my weight is in the pad and weight on my ankle or my ankle pushing down to keep the boot of the pad on the ice causes the thigh to stay up. 

You're forgetting, when you're properly strapped in to the GIV it's designed to have some flex in the face.  If strapped properly you'll have a perfect seal from toes to the top of the pad. 

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

You're forgetting, when you're properly strapped in to the GIV it's designed to have some flex in the face.  If strapped properly you'll have a perfect seal from toes to the top of the pad. 

Can you explain this I don’t really understand 

12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

And that you can’t have one section pulled to tight or it could cause twisting somewhere else on the pad 

is this why guys like Holtby and Quick have the pads twist when they hit the ice

i know quick uses stuffed core pads but holtby uses essentially larcenys which arent stuffed if im not wrong

Archived