Aspiring goalie, need help with equipment

SenatorAnderson

Over the past few years I've been getting into hockey more and more. This season watching Craig Anderson  (my fav) really made me want to try goalie(obviously just as a hobby). I'm only 18, I do have a job but I don't have 1000 plus bucks to spend on pads and a helmet. Could anyone recommend setups I could get for a lot cheaper or tell me what brands are fine to get used and which ones I should avoid when buying used. At the moment I don't need a full set up, I'm primarily looking for a blocker, glove and knee/leg pads then helmet which is basically an almost complete set now that I think about it. Thanks in advance! 

You don't need to spend a grand if you buy smart and buy used.

Breezers (pants) are a place you can skimp. Senior level is fine.  Your helmet is not; stay the heck away from polycarbonate! Goalie jock is another place to not skimp on. Blockers you can go cheaper; gloves you can't.

How tall are you? I do have some pro-level items I can let go cheaply. Even if my pads would not fit, I have a gloveset that will do you fine and actually last you some time.

As far as a helmet goes, it's a shame that it would be a six month wait, but a Protechsport is probably one of the best values in a helmet. At around $330 CAD, you have solid construction that has been on the head of many NHL-ers.

You can't play without a chest protector. Many options out there. 

Feel free to PM me if you want to check out the gloveset or some pads. 

I agree with what Bunny said  

Check out EBay.  My cousin just sold a set of Reebok P4 pro gear.  Pads glove blocker. For 400 bucks.  Gear was in great shape.  It was a steal. 

I got a nice pro level blocker I'll sell you cheap. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, SenatorAnderson said:

Over the past few years I've been getting into hockey more and more. This season watching Craig Anderson  (my fav) really made me want to try goalie(obviously just as a hobby). I'm only 18, I do have a job but I don't have 1000 plus bucks to spend on pads and a helmet. Could anyone recommend setups I could get for a lot cheaper or tell me what brands are fine to get used and which ones I should avoid when buying used. At the moment I don't need a full set up, I'm primarily looking for a blocker, glove and knee/leg pads then helmet which is basically an almost complete set now that I think about it. Thanks in advance! 

What area do you live in?

If you are any where near Oshawa Ontario, Crows Sports is having a goalie sale this weekend. They have a lot of used stuff. New and used all on sale.

First, go to a store and try on some gear.  Get to know what will fit, what you might like, what you absolutely can't stand.  

Comfort is confidence in goal.  You're standing in the way of HARD rubber coming at high velocity.  If you're scared because your gear is insufficient or making you uncomfortable, you will hate it quickly.

Once you have an idea of what you want, check out kijiji, play it again sports for similar equipment.  Can also check for pro return gear.

As stated, get a quality mask and jock.  I would also suggest a beefy chest/arm setup.  You can play in player skates, but it will be smoother and easier in goalie skates.

Archived