Knee flap falling in front of knee

Peter36

What's most likely happening is when you're standing straight up, there is too much of a gap between your knee and the cradle that there is enough room for it to fall in front.

Two solutions that don't involve sewing:

1) Tighten the knee flap...whether its with doing the elastic more snug or adjusting the knee flap tighter. I believe the 2X has the option to even move the knee flap in more towards the cradle?

2) It's likely being strapped loose enough around the knee that you may as well just strap it around the calf. Should have a similar feel.

3 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

What's most likely happening is when you're standing straight up, there is too much of a gap between your knee and the cradle that there is enough room for it to fall in front.

Two solutions that don't involve sewing:

1) Tighten the knee flap...whether its with doing the elastic more snug or adjusting the knee flap tighter. I believe the 2X has the option to even move the knee flap in more towards the cradle?

2) It's likely being strapped loose enough around the knee that you may as well just strap it around the calf. Should have a similar feel.

I have already moved it in as tight as I can and strapped it as tight as I can.

I notice it happens most when I am moving.

21 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I have already moved it in as tight as I can and strapped it as tight as I can.

I notice it happens most when I am moving.

Which knee guards are you using? Could be that they aren't big enough and there's still too much room.

A lot of the new knee cradles are HUGE without any extra padding. There's basically no knee cradle on the 2x now, it's just recessed right into the pad. 

31 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Which knee guards are you using? Could be that they aren't big enough and there's still too much room.

A lot of the new knee cradles are HUGE without any extra padding. There's basically no knee cradle on the 2x now, it's just recessed right into the pad. 

I currently don’t wear any knee guards, but am getting some G-Form ones.

However, I never had this problem with my Vaughns.

3 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I currently don’t wear any knee guards, but am getting some G-Form ones.

However, I never had this problem with my Vaughns.

It's definitely due to the fact that you don't wear knee guards. Way too much room in modern knee cradles. Vaughn cradles are traditionally much tighter although they've been getting bigger since the SLR.

You should wear knee guards. Not just the G-form or Bauer knee pads. Not only are guards good for the freak shots that could hit your knee, you also gain a lot of coverage while using them. I suggest the Brian's Pro II knee pads if you want one that doesn't really feel like it's there. Good padding on it while landing as well.

4 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

It's definitely due to the fact that you don't wear knee guards. Way too much room in modern knee cradles. Vaughn cradles are traditionally much tighter although they've been getting bigger since the SLR.

You should wear knee guards. Not just the G-form or Bauer knee pads. Not only are guards good for the freak shots that could hit your knee, you also gain a lot of coverage while using them. I suggest the Brian's Pro II knee pads if you want one that doesn't really feel like it's there. Good padding on it while landing as well.

Second this. The Bauer 1x knee pads are also excellent for comfort, protection, and coverage, from my experience.

So I noticed tonight that 99% percent of the time this happens is when I’m sliding or butterfly. I understand knee pads would help, but tonight it was more folding into my knee than falling in front.

I think a big part of it could be the AeroLite material, it is a lot more flexible than the vaughn knee flap, so it kinda bends.

Is there anyway to replace it with a different knee flap? Any suggestions or advice anyone?

On 7/24/2019 at 1:25 PM, Peter36 said:

So I noticed tonight that 99% percent of the time this happens is when I’m sliding or butterfly. I understand knee pads would help, but tonight it was more folding into my knee than falling in front.

I think a big part of it could be the AeroLite material, it is a lot more flexible than the vaughn knee flap, so it kinda bends.

Is there anyway to replace it with a different knee flap? Any suggestions or advice anyone?

Just start wearing knee pads would be the best advice.

8 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I am wearing G-Form ones now. I think the problem is the AeroLite. It folds into my knee.

Most pads with an open knee cradle are designed for proper knee pads (i.e. Bauer Supreme/Vapor, Brian's Pro II, Vaughn). 

There shouldn't be enough room for the flap to fold inwards no matter the material.

16 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Most pads with an open knee cradle are designed for proper knee pads (i.e. Bauer Supreme/Vapor, Brian's Pro II, Vaughn). 

There shouldn't be enough room for the flap to fold inwards no matter the material.

All I know is I never had this issue before. 

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it possible to have a smaller knee cradle if I got custom?

5 hours ago, Peter36 said:

On a somewhat unrelated note, is it possible to have a smaller knee cradle if I got custom?

I would think so, just like you can omit it altogether (I remove mine because I wear gigantic knee guards). 

12 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Brian's Gnetik knee cradle is pretty small in general. Same with Vaughn. Their foams aren't recessed into the core like Bauer and CCM stock are. 

With CCM, you can get a "soft foam" knee cradle which makes it super snug. 

5 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Brian's Gnetik knee cradle is pretty small in general. Same with Vaughn. Their foams aren't recessed into the core like Bauer and CCM stock are. 

With CCM, you can get a "soft foam" knee cradle which makes it super snug. 

One pad that I think I may like is PVE 19, but I noticed it says it had a wider SLR2 knee cradle.

Do you think I would have the same issue?

3 hours ago, Peter36 said:

One pad that I think I may like is PVE 19, but I noticed it says it had a wider SLR2 knee cradle.

Do you think I would have the same issue?

Vaughn's RRC does wonders about keeping knees in the cradle. There shouldn't be enough of a gap for it to fold over with it. 

On 8/2/2019 at 9:38 AM, Aquilzz said:

Vaughn's RRC does wonders about keeping knees in the cradle. There shouldn't be enough of a gap for it to fold over with it. 

Another pad I was looking at is EF4.

Do you think I would encounter the same problem I have now with the stock version of those?

7 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Do you think I would encounter the same problem I have now with the stock version of those?

The stock EF4 has a removable outer knee wrap, It is velcroed in (ignore the buckle in the picture, stock EF4 has no leather straps anywhere).

image.png.29830b30276a2b5df157899b0cf91e50.png

On 8/6/2019 at 3:19 AM, Peter36 said:

The stock EF4 has probably the most space in the knee cradle out of any pad. 

Go Gnetik if youre looking for a tighter knee cradle and a softer pad.

@Peter36   I have noticed the same issue with my 2X pads.  I have it as tight as I can and the outer half that is not attached to the Velcro is constantly folding in.   I only notice it visually and not by feel so i am not bothered by it.  Though I think there could be 2 fixes here.  

1) adjust the strap on the knee block so that the strap itself is as short as possible or swap a shorter strap and then the attachment point would be the outer edge and not be able to fold under.

2) attach a piece that is more rigid to the flap keeping it's shape.  Or make a new flap that is more rigid.

Archived