Toe Tie Slack

jwags2201

Hey guys, had a quick question about my toe ties. What does slack affect in terms of sliding/butterfly pushes? I’ve never used slack and have always had good sliding ability, but I picked up a used set that had about 2 inches of slack and have been having a little trouble. Was wondering if I just need to get used to the pads or if the slack is to blame.

2 hours ago, jwags2201 said:

Hey guys, had a quick question about my toe ties. What does slack affect in terms of sliding/butterfly pushes? I’ve never used slack and have always had good sliding ability, but I picked up a used set that had about 2 inches of slack and have been having a little trouble. Was wondering if I just need to get used to the pads or if the slack is to blame.

I don't think sliding has much, if anything to do with slack. However, you could just adjust the slack to your liking.

Personally I recommend ProLaces. 

https://www.prolaces.ca/en/home/27-pro-laces-armor-hybrid.html#/leatherattachcolorhyb-tgnspec/font_style_color-no_font/attachstyle-tgnspec/toetielength-tgnspec

Slack should have nothing to do with sliding or pushes. The main thing it should have an effect on is how "at one" your boot feels with the pad. I used a few inches for years, then switched to elastic ties and wouldn't go back to regular laces unless I had to. The biggest thing I used to experience with slack is that I would occasionally not get my whole pad over in small moves/made more saves with my actual skate instead of boot than I probably should have.

I would try going back to the amount of slack you had on your previous set up if you’re having trouble. I have not used a skate lace in years since getting turned on to elastic toe ties. I don’t think slack has much to do with sliding, but if the boot of your pad is longer than your previous pad, that could be the source of trouble. 

Archived