Optik 2 Chest protector

Big H

Just put in my order for a custom-coloured Brian's Optik 2 chest/arm.

No frills or beef added. I just needed an upgrade from my RBK X-Pulse Pro which has got to be +10 years old (anyone know when they were released?).

Opted for the Optik 2 over the Vaughn VE9 Pro which felt light and nicely broken-in but a little too soft, or "sloppy," for lack of a better word. I also tried the CCM EFlex 5 and while the arms were good, the chest just felt like a straight flat wall that came up to my ears. Sadly I didn't get to try the Bauer Hyperlite.

The Optik 2 was a good overall fit, the silhouette on the shoulders suited me better and the build quality is amazing. I also really liked the adjustable collar/neck. Most people I talked to consider this unit to be more of a blocking chest/arm opposed to the more flexible, game-ready VE9 and EFlex 5 models. IMO the Brian's Optik 2 fell somewhere in the middle.

Equally important - how do you argue with that style???

Despite the fact that there is no hockey right now, it's going to be hard waiting for it to arrive.

Will keep the group updated on ETA if there is interest. From my experience these units are hard to find off the shelf (in the GTA anyway) so custom order might be your best bet if you're on the hunt.

BO2CA.png.835b93274348499d8ac020fd0c3b6bdb.png

I dunno what others are saying, but once you make it through the break-in period, the flexibility isn't an issue. Took about 5-10 skates to get it perfect. I removed the velcro rib padding as it wasn't needed for my application.

Build quality is amazing - can confirm. Haven't felt anything since I got it. I wear it outside the pants and have a lace coming up the front of my pants that I feed through the space on the sides of that front belly flap, wrap around the body, and then tie in the loop in the front belly flap. Keeps the bottom of the unit pinned to my body and the shoulders etc. seem to move with me in just the right way.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 2:25 PM, rebatttocs said:

Just put in my order for a custom-coloured Brian's Optik 2 chest/arm.

No frills or beef added. I just needed an upgrade from my RBK X-Pulse Pro which has got to be +10 years old (anyone know when they were released?).

Opted for the Optik 2 over the Vaughn VE9 Pro which felt light and nicely broken-in but a little too soft, or "sloppy," for lack of a better word. I also tried the CCM EFlex 5 and while the arms were good, the chest just felt like a straight flat wall that came up to my ears. Sadly I didn't get to try the Bauer Hyperlite.

The Optik 2 was a good overall fit, the silhouette on the shoulders suited me better and the build quality is amazing. I also really liked the adjustable collar/neck. Most people I talked to consider this unit to be more of a blocking chest/arm opposed to the more flexible, game-ready VE9 and EFlex 5 models. IMO the Brian's Optik 2 fell somewhere in the middle.

Equally important - how do you argue with that style???

Despite the fact that there is no hockey right now, it's going to be hard waiting for it to arrive.

Will keep the group updated on ETA if there is interest. From my experience these units are hard to find off the shelf (in the GTA anyway) so custom order might be your best bet if you're on the hunt.

BO2CA.png.835b93274348499d8ac020fd0c3b6bdb.png

Long wait but finally got my Brian's Optik 2 chest/arm and it's perfect.

Still playing with straps and adjustments to fine tune the fit but it feels great. Also going to try a tuck and loose fit to see what works best. 

I noticed there's a tie-down for pants in the back which can help keep the unit in place. Anyone have recos on what to use to attach one to the other? 

PXL_20210918_192502524~2.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

So tempted to get one of these units. 

Anyone who's had it for a while, what's the verdict? 

Have the arms softened up and become more flexible? 

Ordered a custom coloured unit late in the summer that arrived in early October.  Break in process took a bit and I would say the over-the-head movements with the arms still isn't great ( basically any time biceps get near the ears there's a lot of resistance).  But as far as flexibility during game situations, it's been perfect since week 2. I don't find myself contorting my arms in weird positions, so if you're mechanically sound with how you move your arms and hands, flexibility shouldn't be an issue.

I don't use the rib pillows because it just doesn't feel comfortable in any configuration, tucked or untucked.  Just doesn't have that "wrap around the waist" feel with them in and it pushes the whole belly outwards.  Downside is that you do feel more of the impact on shots to that area because without the pillows, the rib area is comparatively thin - I've been hit twice there while RVH'ing the blocker side.  Doesn't hurt, but does wind you a little.

Frontal area coverage and protection is perfect.  Would say it's a great balance of being aware of where the puck hits you, but protective enough to be 100% confident in protection.  Also does a great job of deadening the puck - puck doesn't really bounce off much creating bad rebounds.

Only thing I'm still trying to work out is the sizing.  I ordered size small, and I am looking into shortening the belly by another 2-3".  Due to the current length, the chest pushes against the pants/jock area when I get into a loaded stance, which in turn pushes the chest upwards.

My previous chest is a custom Pro pack Passau.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neomop said:

Ordered a custom coloured unit late in the summer that arrived in early October.  Break in process took a bit and I would say the over-the-head movements with the arms still isn't great ( basically any time biceps get near the ears there's a lot of resistance).  But as far as flexibility during game situations, it's been perfect since week 2. I don't find myself contorting my arms in weird positions, so if you're mechanically sound with how you move your arms and hands, flexibility shouldn't be an issue.

I don't use the rib pillows because it just doesn't feel comfortable in any configuration, tucked or untucked.  Just doesn't have that "wrap around the waist" feel with them in and it pushes the whole belly outwards.  Downside is that you do feel more of the impact on shots to that area because without the pillows, the rib area is comparatively thin - I've been hit twice there while RVH'ing the blocker side.  Doesn't hurt, but does wind you a little.

Frontal area coverage and protection is perfect.  Would say it's a great balance of being aware of where the puck hits you, but protective enough to be 100% confident in protection.  Also does a great job of deadening the puck - puck doesn't really bounce off much creating bad rebounds.

Only thing I'm still trying to work out is the sizing.  I ordered size small, and I am looking into shortening the belly by another 2-3".  Due to the current length, the chest pushes against the pants/jock area when I get into a loaded stance, which in turn pushes the chest upwards.

My previous chest is a custom Pro pack Passau.

Thanks for the write up

• 5 weeks later...

Curious, does anyone who own one of these units feel like their shoulders are exposed? I wore mine for the first time last night and it really felt like I was wearing a Rawlings Catchers Chest Protector over a Goalie one.

I'm having a hard time with adjustments. Anyone got a photo or three of how they settled in or adjusted theirs.