Bauer 1S Project

TheGoalNet

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Yeah, that's exactly it.  Attached it basically in line with where the original flap was, on that leather panel that's there.  

Honestly, the design from Monster seems a little flawed.  There are 6 holes in the pad to lace the block into, but the attachment on the knee block only had 4 holes.  The amount of jenpro on the tab with the holes is not very big so the block doesn't get laced snug against the pad, otherwise it would be overlapping the edge of the pad and you couldn't attach the fixed ice-side flap.

We'll see how well it holds up.  After I put the first one on, it felt as stable, if not more stable, as the stock one.  But I have that extra jenpro from FixMyGear, so I could create a tab to attach the knee block flush in the right position.  Then either do some more stitching to reinforce that flap, or just go to a local goal shop that does repairs and get them to stitch it more securely.  It's kind of awkward with the flap and the block attached, but I'm also pretty new with the sewing skills.

That is my main concern with the Fazio spec. After installing it with velcro only on my Brian's and it not going in well, I realized it needs to be sewn in and had it done by Factory Mad. It was a night day difference after that. 

Smart move sewing them in! That top knee landing cannot being free floating from the pad and needs to be fixed in. 

That's why I only went with the thicker block in the middle. I didn't want to do any sewing jobs on my 1S pads as I don't plan to keep them past delivery of my Optik 

Latest update. Didn't like how Monster's design laced into the pad, caused the block to be too loose and then would allow it to push into the ice side flap past the edge of the pad (first pic). 

Took some of the leftover Jenpro I got from Fix My Gear and made tabs closer to the original design I sent with my order.  Attached them to the blocks so when they get laced in they won't be able to move as much towards the ice side edge of the pad. 

The sewing was a lot easier than attaching the other flaps to the pad itself, but it was a little harder to lace the blocks in since those flaps were already fixed to the pad. 

20170924_165415.jpg

20170924_165538.jpg

20170924_165605.jpg

20170924_165507.jpg

@Mroy31 - Congrats! You are getting really handy with the needle.

As referenced above, I don't think there's any way to use the Fazio spec without it being sewn in. To anyone looking at adding Monster knee blocks, I would only get the blocks unless you are willing to sew in the landing knee stack. 

I am skating tonight. I might get rid of the bottom elastic calf tonight. I love as minimal strapping as I can get. 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Mroy31 - Congrats! You are getting really handy with the needle.

As referenced above, I don't think there's any way to use the Fazio spec without it being sewn in. To anyone looking at adding Monster knee blocks, I would only get the blocks unless you are willing to sew in the landing knee stack. 

I am skating tonight. I might get rid of the bottom elastic calf tonight. I love as minimal strapping as I can get. 

I've actually added that strap (short)  back to mine because I was having trouble with the pad staying up higher on my skates. They would basically slide up into position as I crouch into my stance and so sometimes were bottoming out while moving laterally. My calf strap is pretty snug, but not super tight, so that may affect it as well. 

This highlights the big issue with the stiff leg channel wings though. Some stretched out kick saves will make the wing catch on the skate when you stand back up so you have to flex your knees and ankles to reset everything. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, Mroy31 said:

Latest update. Didn't like how Monster's design laced into the pad, caused the block to be too loose and then would allow it to push into the ice side flap past the edge of the pad (first pic). 

Took some of the leftover Jenpro I got from Fix My Gear and made tabs closer to the original design I sent with my order.  Attached them to the blocks so when they get laced in they won't be able to move as much towards the ice side edge of the pad. 

The sewing was a lot easier than attaching the other flaps to the pad itself, but it was a little harder to lace the blocks in since those flaps were already fixed to the pad. 

20170924_165415.jpg

20170924_165538.jpg

20170924_165605.jpg

20170924_165507.jpg

Nice work! I noticed your post on putting the 1S knee stack back on and it made me want to check out what you did to get the Monster Fazio spec in. Since I've switched to CCM 13a pants I just about need to swap out to a 45 degree as well... but between your switching back and @TheGoalNet's experience in having to get them sewn in by Factory Mad, I might just have @Beccaraptor work her magic and build some for me and slap them in for me when she shaves down my pads in the spring. I'd like to DIY but like I told her, I'm better at using the equipment than taking it apart (although I can find my way around equipment.) Would you agree?

8 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Nice work! I noticed your post on putting the 1S knee stack back on and it made me want to check out what you did to get the Monster Fazio spec in. Since I've switched to CCM 13a pants I just about need to swap out to a 45 degree as well... but between your switching back and @TheGoalNet's experience in having to get them sewn in by Factory Mad, I might just have @Beccaraptor work her magic and build some for me and slap them in for me when she shaves down my pads in the spring. I'd like to DIY but like I told her, I'm better at using the equipment than taking it apart (although I can find my way around equipment.) Would you agree?

To clarify, I'm still using the Monster knee blocks, I'm just being a perfectionist around the lacing, so considering re-doing the lacing you see in that post.  Monster made some changes recently with moving their operations to a single place that is supposed to improve delivery times, but my main issue was the lack of communication re: my custom design.

I can't really recommend going back to them for a custom project like this, so I'd go the @Beccaraptor route like you mentioned for sure.

Archived