Bauer 1S Project

TheGoalNet

Now that my review is done with the stock 1S... It's time to tinker! 

Cut into the knee stack. The goal is to run the elastic down to the calf wrap in a fashion that keeps my knee in the knee lock. 

IMG_8138.JPGIMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8139.JPG

Next, we are testing the @Mroy31 CRS mod. If I like this, I will have someone make a strap that works without twisting. This connects thru the inner calf flap loop to the CRS Y connection only and not the outer gusset. This will make for a tighter fit leg channel and an easier time putting them on. 

IMG_8140.JPG

@TheGoalNet and I have a pretty similar opinion on the 1S, the pad is very good, but the straps and leg channel are a miss.

While I can’t do anything about the leg channel (short of ripping some off another set and doing some serious pad surgery), I started thinking about what I could do to modify the strapping.

The first thing I did when I got my set was take off the boot straps.  I stopped using them on my TotalONE’s once I switched to an elastic type of toe tie (ToeHook, CRS Lace, CRS Strap and now HAL Pros), and haven’t looked back.

The other thing I did after a while was remove the bottom leg channel strap completely.  It served me no purpose and I was doing it as loose as possible anyway.

Then I turned to the calf strap.  At first I thought about retro-fitting the new TuneFit strap from the Vapor line, or Macgyvering my own version.  The problem I had with using something like that was it would leave the calf sling (no idea what this is really called, but I’m going to call it that from now on) either attached and doing nothing, or I’d have to remove it.  And I actually like the feeling of that part securing the pad to my leg, so I was inclined to keep it.

Then I thought, well what’s the point of securing the other end of the strap to the outside of the leg channel when you’ve already got an attachment point inside it?  I figured the easiest solution would be some strap looped through the inner leg channel wall and attached directly to the calf sling.  This was also reinforced by trying on a set of SLR’s at Pro Hockey Life, and feeling the RRC or Scrivens/Professor strap fit.

My first attempt was when I realized that I could use the knee lock straps, like in the original post. The only trouble was that the double sided Velcro was the wrong way around, so I had to make a twist in the strap, as seen below.

20170723_195713.thumb.jpg.2b44674147b9a671621d14bd3c6a3157.jpg

These worked functionally, but the problem was that there wasn’t really any adjustability without having the hook Velcro end only partially attached and exposing my sock or the strap itself to some extra abrasion.  These are the Long CRS knee lock straps, so it’s not like I could just go up another size.

After I posted to Instagram, @TheGoalNet suggested I get some custom B2 straps from Monster Hockey, and turned out we both had a pretty similar idea in terms of the design for more adjustability.  I was already using their suspenders and HAL Pros, and had a new Gel Band and Fazio Spec knee blocks on the way, so I was already pretty familiar with the brand.  I downloaded their template and started working on it.

My main idea (after making all the ends have the right hook/loop so that the strap didn’t need to be twisted) was to put some extra loop Velcro on the part of the strap where it attaches back to itself (call that end B) and leave a bit of a jenpro tab on the very end (call that end A).  This would allow you to vary how tight the strap was by moving end B wherever you felt most comfortable, and then every time you put the pads on after that, you only need to attach end A back to the sling/leg channel.  Here’s how it ended up.

20170802_202402.thumb.jpg.02c515387e5f65ce89716b1df75a0a0b.jpg

It will be a couple weeks probably until I get back on the ice, with a long weekend coming up and an already reduced summer schedule, but they feel pretty good trying them on at home.  It gives me a bit more leeway in terms of how loose I can wear them, but still get a snug, reactive fit.  Again, only initial living room impressions, but I used the original twisted strap method a few times and it felt good.

Funny story, the straps aren’t quite exactly as I designed them.  There isn’t as much loop Velcro added as I had requested, but I attribute that to it being a non-standard design so they just matched the loop Velcro size to end B, and the fact that they actually rushed these out to me for free because my knee blocks have been in production for so long (that’s another story).  The only other thing I would probably change is to make the overall strap a little shorter.  I did it the same length as the stock Long CRS knee lock straps, figured the lack of a twist would give it more slack naturally, but forgot to take into account moving end B further down the strap.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:35 PM, Mroy31 said:

@TheGoalNet and I have a pretty similar opinion on the 1S, the pad is very good, but the straps and leg channel are a miss.

While I can’t do anything about the leg channel (short of ripping some off another set and doing some serious pad surgery), I started thinking about what I could do to modify the strapping.

The first thing I did when I got my set was take off the boot straps.  I stopped using them on my TotalONE’s once I switched to an elastic type of toe tie (ToeHook, CRS Lace, CRS Strap and now HAL Pros), and haven’t looked back.

The other thing I did after a while was remove the bottom leg channel strap completely.  It served me no purpose and I was doing it as loose as possible anyway.

Then I turned to the calf strap.  At first I thought about retro-fitting the new TuneFit strap from the Vapor line, or Macgyvering my own version.  The problem I had with using something like that was it would leave the calf sling (no idea what this is really called, but I’m going to call it that from now on) either attached and doing nothing, or I’d have to remove it.  And I actually like the feeling of that part securing the pad to my leg, so I was inclined to keep it.

Then I thought, well what’s the point of securing the other end of the strap to the outside of the leg channel when you’ve already got an attachment point inside it?  I figured the easiest solution would be some strap looped through the inner leg channel wall and attached directly to the calf sling.  This was also reinforced by trying on a set of SLR’s at Pro Hockey Life, and feeling the RRC or Scrivens/Professor strap fit.

My first attempt was when I realized that I could use the knee lock straps, like in the original post. The only trouble was that the double sided Velcro was the wrong way around, so I had to make a twist in the strap, as seen below.

These worked functionally, but the problem was that there wasn’t really any adjustability without having the hook Velcro end only partially attached and exposing my sock or the strap itself to some extra abrasion.  These are the Long CRS knee lock straps, so it’s not like I could just go up another size.

After I posted to Instagram, @TheGoalNet suggested I get some custom B2 straps from Monster Hockey, and turned out we both had a pretty similar idea in terms of the design for more adjustability.  I was already using their suspenders and HAL Pros, and had a new Gel Band and Fazio Spec knee blocks on the way, so I was already pretty familiar with the brand.  I downloaded their template and started working on it.

My main idea (after making all the ends have the right hook/loop so that the strap didn’t need to be twisted) was to put some extra loop Velcro on the part of the strap where it attaches back to itself (call that end B) and leave a bit of a jenpro tab on the very end (call that end A).  This would allow you to vary how tight the strap was by moving end B wherever you felt most comfortable, and then every time you put the pads on after that, you only need to attach end A back to the sling/leg channel.  Here’s how it ended up.

It will be a couple weeks probably until I get back on the ice, with a long weekend coming up and an already reduced summer schedule, but they feel pretty good trying them on at home.  It gives me a bit more leeway in terms of how loose I can wear them, but still get a snug, reactive fit.  Again, only initial living room impressions, but I used the original twisted strap method a few times and it felt good.

Funny story, the straps aren’t quite exactly as I designed them.  There isn’t as much loop Velcro added as I had requested, but I attribute that to it being a non-standard design so they just matched the loop Velcro size to end B, and the fact that they actually rushed these out to me for free because my knee blocks have been in production for so long (that’s another story).  The only other thing I would probably change is to make the overall strap a little shorter.  I did it the same length as the stock Long CRS knee lock straps, figured the lack of a twist would give it more slack naturally, but forgot to take into account moving end B further down the strap.

Interesting note on the extended delays, I was hoping Monster had their stuff in slightly better order. 

Im glad to hear that they accommodated the straps so quickly though!!! 

Im having Dennis at Factory Mad make me the same Loop strap. I played with the twist last night and loved it. I just want a more permanent solution. 

How long is your strap? I was thinking 10" for mine 

I also will probably change the knee blocks. I'm not sure if I want Monster or if I should have Dennis make something. My concern is that I don't know that I will have this set for more than another 12 weeks. If Monster has any delays, they might not arrive in time!!! 

Sounds like we have similar thoughts on a "TGN Spec" 1S

The knee blocks are the only thing I've had any delay with from them, some mostly legit reasons, but again, for another thread. 

My straps are 17" and still give me some wiggle room, but as long as you have enough extra loop velcro, 10/12 will probably work pretty well. That would be more in the spirit of the design and get a larger range of tightness. 

So... 

Have a "CRS Loop" strap coming from Factory Mad (same mod @Mroy31) - Anyone got a better name? Mine will be 10"

White 12" Knee Elastic coming from PAW

Bought Monster Maltese knee blocks second hand

Probably going to order the Passau Maltese knee landing. Waiting to hear what Passau will do for customizaion 

This will be 1S x TGN Spec 

I actually contacted Monster to partner on getting a "kit" going. Initially Jeff was open and then did a 180 very quickly. It's a shame, because Fazio knee set up with a strap slot thru the landing, CRS Loop strap, and shorter B2 knee Elastic would be a nice easy package to enhance the 1S leg channel 

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Nicely done... closer to the 1X strapping, no?

It allows it to be worn snug, like 1X, but it's different for sure 

the notch on the knee and shorter knee Elastic are different 

I think the CRS strap may also be operating more like a professor strap now

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

@TheGoalNet did you do anything to the parts of the knee flap you cut through for the knee strap? Like closing off the fabric so it doesn't fray or split further open? 

No, my Brian's look to be fairly similar like that from the factory, so I didn't think it'd be an issue. 

If I see fraying, I will go in with a lighter. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

No, my Brian's look to be fairly similar like that from the factory, so I didn't think it'd be an issue. 

If I see fraying, I will go in with a lighter. 

Thanks! This should hold me over until I get my knee blocks in, then planning something similar with those. 

Also check out the bottom right where I'll be doing another mod once my supplies come in the mail. That fraying didn't actually happen to me until I started using the modified calf strap. 

20170829_225524.jpg

On 8/29/2017 at 11:06 PM, Mroy31 said:

Thanks! This should hold me over until I get my knee blocks in, then planning something similar with those. 

Also check out the bottom right where I'll be doing another mod once my supplies come in the mail. That fraying didn't actually happen to me until I started using the modified calf strap. 

Knee blocks and now knee knives... What prison league you playing in?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update, got my Fazio spec knee blocks in from monster hockey. Made the same mod to the landing flap to put my knee strap through. Gained about a 1/2" in height/thickness. 

Didn't realize how deeply the stock knee blocks are laced into the pad. They basically go all the way through, so I wasn't able to lace them back in exactly the same way, but they're as stable as the stock ones were. I also added some stitching to keep the landing flap more snug to the pad using my upholstery needle and nylon thread from a previous mod. 

Gonna take them for a spin tonight. 

20170917_171712.jpg

20170917_171603.jpg

20170917_171636.jpg

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@Mroy31 how long did it take to get your knee blocks?

4 and a half months. I had all summer where I was playing pretty infrequently, so I gave it a shot. Still came one week after my fall season started. 

I've gotten a few other things from Monster that didn't take very long: HAL straps, suspenders, sweatband. So I'm guessing it's mainly the full custom things that are susceptible to delays, since there's only one person doing that stuff still. 

If I ever get another set, I'd probably look at Wilcox or PAW or something.  

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Mroy31 - Nice! In the picture of you sewing, are you sewing the joint between the landing and the block into the pad?

Yeah, that's exactly it.  Attached it basically in line with where the original flap was, on that leather panel that's there.  

Honestly, the design from Monster seems a little flawed.  There are 6 holes in the pad to lace the block into, but the attachment on the knee block only had 4 holes.  The amount of jenpro on the tab with the holes is not very big so the block doesn't get laced snug against the pad, otherwise it would be overlapping the edge of the pad and you couldn't attach the fixed ice-side flap.

We'll see how well it holds up.  After I put the first one on, it felt as stable, if not more stable, as the stock one.  But I have that extra jenpro from FixMyGear, so I could create a tab to attach the knee block flush in the right position.  Then either do some more stitching to reinforce that flap, or just go to a local goal shop that does repairs and get them to stitch it more securely.  It's kind of awkward with the flap and the block attached, but I'm also pretty new with the sewing skills.

Should also mention, the design they sent me was not the design I sent them with my order.  There was no dialogue about whether what I sent would work with the fazio spec design.  Another reason I probably wouldn't go back for full custom, and seeing as how I've probably voided any warranties I had with my knee strap mod, I'm content with improving it myself or with help from others.

18 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

4 and a half months. I had all summer where I was playing pretty infrequently, so I gave it a shot. Still came one week after my fall season started. 

I've gotten a few other things from Monster that didn't take very long: HAL straps, suspenders, sweatband. So I'm guessing it's mainly the full custom things that are susceptible to delays, since there's only one person doing that stuff still. 

If I ever get another set, I'd probably look at Wilcox or PAW or something.  

PAW is probably the best place for these types of things. I am certain Dave does well with this sort of thing you asked,  but he doesn't really advertise making  things like boot lifts, knee blocks and the like. Sara pretty well does what you ask. 

Archived