Simmons UL7 & Vaughn V3 7000 Catcher Refurbish

ArdeFIN

Todays biggest effort was to figure out the padding of the whole glove. The Vaughn idea has been disgussed and now is the time to make it better atleast.

With thousand wordsa I couldn't describe it better than with two pictures. All the white foam are same type of HD but thickness varies from 2mm to 4 and over to 15mm. The grey (MD) foam on top is 4mm thick and is preglued, same foam that's been used earlier in Simmons and Brians and...

Small slice of even darker grey near the thumb area is HD foam from Easton jr players chestie. It's about 8mm thick.  

IMG_20200716_205521.jpg

And here are the same parts stacked as they are supposed to go into the glove. Holes are 5mm size to ease the lacing. And it doesn't affect the protection because they're still very small compared to a puck. On break there is 3 layers of 4mm foam, one HD plus two MD foams. Topmost is cut so that the lacing can sink into the foam a little.

What do you say how thick is the padding on new practise palm gloves? And how stiff those gloves are new? How will this glove come out... Protectionwise there should be no desire for better.

IMG_20200716_205609.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
Some text added...

Break line. Just for who is interested about, few closeups of the padding. Here you can see the difference between HD and MD foam. It's still not that significant difference when using only finger tips to identify these foams from each other.

IMG_20200716_200825.jpg

IMG_20200716_200829.jpg

Now everything should be ready to be put together and see how it goes this time. This is always the best part when all the work and made decisions prove out. To be right or wrong. And if wrong then it will be a re-do project.

Edited by ArdeFIN
Some text added....
  • Like 1

Got it this far now and the preliminary lacing proved out. Thumb plastic is a bit too large and need a little more shape or curve at thumb area. Now it's sort of over the pocket and taking out the space. It would definitely get puck hits a lot this way.

IMG_20200718_133252.thumb.jpg.7d20dd515ba24d523cd3b32fb52f964b.jpg

Here's from back when the cuff was just done and lacing still loose. It's convenient to have extra lace at this stage to keep things loose. It's a lot easier to align part and get get the lace through those tiny holes.

IMG_20200718_133243.thumb.jpg.93d2f1e281244fb4f4b65bf5aa7579b2.jpg

• Like 2

More reshaping...

Circled with blue are the second run of shaping.

The cuff plate is almost curved outwards and creates an edge where pucks would hit. I've done a Vaughn earlier that had this issue and the cuff plastic had been beaten so much it was almost in two layers and pushed towards the rear edge.

Second ring is about the thumb area where the edge of the plastic is still pushing into the pocket. More cutting and more heatgun to curve that edge as a whole towards the back of the glove. This creates a slope into the pocket and at the same time opens the pocket more to the puck flying in.

IMG_20200718_145022.thumb.jpg.183a22b68f01e292b7d83df7bbff8b25.jpg

Next to do is the finger plate which needs a little more curvature to close the glove nice and tight.

In the same process I'll have to see break line again, there's an edge pushing my fingers at palm end when closing the glove. It's not bad but annoying and as it can be corrected with some cutting and maybe adding a slice of foam then why not.

Edited by ArdeFIN
Some text added...
  • Like 1

Oh I'd like to get that Jenpro slice to fix the lip. The pocket is just a tad too small and closure isn't as neat as I would like it to be. 10mm extra on both ends and a little adjusting to the finger side to fix it.

Lip is quite aggressive on the fingerside but that is more of a optical flaw, it isn't that flat IRL.

IMG_20200720_185342.thumb.jpg.7a4d78dd356804efce8df57ff57b2b7c.jpg

One image of the outside too, looks nice but without the fingerprotector now. Hopefully the lines will align somewhat correctly.

IMG_20200720_185406.thumb.jpg.0c8e44c423ec9fc3df3a4dd995b03754.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Atlast got my hands on a big enough sheet of black weave. At first I was thinking that I have to take what is available. But after sewing done I think this was the only colour and texture to go with.

Some pictures of T and one test run for how it'll be when completed. 

IMG_20200801_192235.jpg

IMG_20200801_192310.jpg

IMG_20200801_192920.jpg

Had to make an extesion to the spine to give the pocket a sleek shape. It's about 5cm long but overlaps with the spine so total extra length gained is 4cm. I'll take some photos of that next time around 😶

I'm super happy with the graphical outlook this thing came out at this point. The pocket lacing will have some effect on and outside is still without finger protection and cuff.

So far so nice! Here's hopefully the final looks before pocket lace. Nice roomy pocket but not too big to look awkward. Very close to the size of Simmons which has proven to work very nice. And the closure works too. Not close to as buttery as the Simmons but very easy to open wide and close tightly. I really prefer to be able open the catcher without poking it to blocker or something like that.

IMG_20200802_141147.thumb.jpg.728a001b477ea87a638226a36cc985ad.jpg

One photo from a local small business/2nd hand dealer. Pallas is branded and the other one was some "custom" small brand/dealer here in Finland also. Just the same design once again...

IMG_20200802_162832.thumb.jpg.481d49711a9e3d5ec96cb7bfbc399a4b.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
Fix a bit

To close this project for time being here is the result. I'm very happy with the looks of this. I'm happy with how it came together and operates nicely. Only thing I'm not happy is the closure when catching something like tennisball for testing. It might be very different when catching a puck shot at me but the feeling isn't as good as in the Simmons. It might get better with some "break in" and mold to my hand. But for this far Simmons just is better of the two when catching. And this goes to very thin line of differences. If I could combine these two for best of both it would make a close to perfection of a catcher for me. For time being atleast 🤩

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

Looks great. It’s funny, most people bash Simmons mostly because they produce knock-offs and some say they’re not quality products. But you’ve found the Simmons glove closes better than the Vaughn glove it’s copying 😂. I’ve had a Simmons Matrix glove pair for eight years and they preform great 💪🏼.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went to play with the Vaughn and yes it did succeed! Very well indeed, closing well enough to not bother a bit and most pucks got in the pocket, those few that didn't but got blocked just gave a nice feeling of hitting the glove but nothing else.

So in addition to very nice outlook it does a good job playing too. This glove type has a near perfect cuff angle for me also as I had no problems with wrist being exposed. I did have the flap attached mentioned there in the other topic and it did its part also very well. It was there and nothing else. It didn't get caught or anything so I'm happy with that too atleast for now.

• 7 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:18 PM, ArdeFIN said:

Todays biggest effort was to figure out the padding of the whole glove. The Vaughn idea has been disgussed and now is the time to make it better atleast.

With thousand wordsa I couldn't describe it better than with two pictures. All the white foam is same type of HD but hickness varies from 2mm ot 4 and to 15mm. The grey (MD) foam on top is 4mm thick with glue, same foam that's been used earlier in Simmons and Brians and...

Small slice of ever darker grey near thumb area is Hd foam from Easton jr players chestie. It's about 8mm thick.  

IMG_20200716_205521.jpg

And here are the same parts stacked as they are supposed to go into the glove. Holes are 5mm size to ease the lacing. And it doesn't affect the protection because they're still very small compared to a puck. On break there is 3 layers of 4mm foam, one HD plus two MD foams. Topmost is cut so that the lacing can sink into the foam a little.

What do you say how thick is the padding on new practise palm gloves? And how stiff those gloves are new? How will this glove come out... Protectionwise there should be no desire for better.

IMG_20200716_205609.jpg

What is the overall thickness of the protective foam for the palm and finger?

1 hour ago, ser33 said:

What is the overall thickness of the protective foam for the palm and finger?

Padding is thinnest on the fingers where it is about 10mm total, if I remember it right. And from there the padding thickens towards wrist where there is about 20 to 25mm of padding. 

10mm of HD foam seems to be enough to give good protection without adding extreme weight or affecting the closure. That said it naturally is dependant to the cuts made for the break.

• Like 1