Simmons UL7 & Vaughn V3 7000 Catcher Refurbish

ArdeFIN

Yep, Simmons was the choice and I liked it even more than in the first time. Closes so easily that it's almost too easy and makes catching puck sort of difficult. But it's anyways maybe the best glove I have or have used.

And then some.

IMG_20200630_161205.thumb.jpg.58cda261950058e9d5a4fd05a7a5bb0c.jpg

I finally got to the store today and got a bargain of this, 20 euros. It's got some work to do but nothing major.

IMG_20200630_161215.thumb.jpg.60cc160c5bdbb64f29be38c3039d7455.jpg

Got to have this to compare to Simmons one and as single T it's just that much different already. I'll continue this thread with this Vaughn project when it's time for it.

Put them on scale too, Simmons is 980g now, didn't measure the original weight. Vaughn is 950g to start with.

Edit: nicely started a new page.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 9:26 AM, ser33 said:

vaughn-7000-senior-velocity-catch_1_0f9382e4d052f5f63863dd59aad06755.jpg.9ef55a9be147da13d6ba03f47608efa9.jpg

Can you take a photo of the inside of the cuff? I have a soft side of velcro there but nothing to put on it and it feels like it's missing something. I'll have to figure out something to put there anyway, but photo would help to get some idea of the original looks.

The glove is going apart already and in to the washing process today maybe. It's a little more project than first thoughts, bot finger and thumb plastics are gone and all the other plastics bent but fixable. Some Jenpro needed too but that's not a problem. T would like to have a new lip but I don't have big enough Jenpro to do it. It's not that bad and is quite easily accessible later on. It's better than the 7500 lip was. Damn I'll have to source some Jenpro soon.

Edited by ArdeFIN

56 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Можете ли вы сфотографировать внутри манжеты? У меня есть мягкая сторона липучки, но нечего надеть, и мне кажется, что что-то не хватает. В любом случае мне нужно будет что-то придумать, но фотография поможет составить представление об оригинальной внешности.

Перчатка уже распадается и, возможно, уже сегодня в процессе стирки. Это немного больше, чем кажется на первый взгляд, ушла пластика пальца и большого пальца, а все остальные пластики согнуты, но исправимы. Некоторые Дженпро тоже нужны, но это не проблема. Т хотел бы иметь новую губу, но у меня недостаточно большой Jenpro, чтобы сделать это. Это не так уж плохо и довольно легко доступны позже. Это лучше, чем 7500 губ. Черт, скоро мне придется найти Дженпро.

IMG_20200709_184547.jpg

IMG_20200709_184555.jpg

IMG_20200709_184604.jpg

IMG_20200709_184611.jpg

IMG_20200709_184618.jpg

IMG_20200709_184635.jpg

IMG_20200709_184641.jpg

IMG_20200709_184650.jpg

13 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Спасибо ser33, это выглядит так, как я и ожидал. И это почти то же самое, что я изготовил для Симмонса ранее. Я должен спросить моего дилера, есть ли у него Нэш для этого. Или что-то равное.

you are welcome. it’s best to use nash because this zone absorbs a lot of sweat

Ok, some photos of what's up. First the plastics that are end-of-life.

IMG_20200709_203841.thumb.jpg.83204bf9bb32d2847140ad30881b6620.jpg

Luckily very simple ones to cut and shape.

IMG_20200709_203355.thumb.jpg.eb12fce389bb76030169dd0e35587cec.jpg

Finger curling is very much in and the  point of the thumb part is very curled too.

It'll be a huge change in appearance after this reparation.

• Like 1

Then the other parts, first what I had after edge cords and break line opened.

IMG_20200709_202626.thumb.jpg.6eee00adb6b95e58a91b94a8272bb230.jpg

Different from Simmons, two thinner layers of foam which is different type than in Simmons. More rubber like. Also the finger part is cut in two at where fingerstalls end.

Fabric at the topside on fingers is nylon plus some very thin weblike material and it's badly broken by some player beating goalies hand on ice. Might be a good place for Jenpro update there.

Then to the inside layer, nothing special here. Maybe the fingerplastic pocket gets caught, seems like a bad "ooops" of sewing. Nothing much to worry about just a signature from maker. Solid base for a good glove here.

IMG_20200709_203904.thumb.jpg.40fa611ebccfaa3ea419a140a0a2e0ad.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

Washing is done with usual outcome, drying is a little slow at the moment as garage is cooled more than heated up. But in an actual hurry here. So it's a good time to make that plastic cutting done.

The finger part is so easy. First heat up the original, flat it out and there's a good model for cutting. Draw the outline to a sheet (3mm PE here) and cut. I used the saw as earlier, then check the shape is about right on the glove fabric closest when assembled. Then clean up the edges and ready.IMG_20200711_184903.thumb.jpg.356128ebc5b16e29f4b52bc465d9194a.jpg

The thumb plastic is so broken that it's not much of a model for new. So I took A4 paper sheet, draw and cut it to desired shape using the palm or inside fabric as model. This might result a different shape than the original plastic is so check it out and decide wether it's better fit or follow the original plastics shape more after all. Then draw the shape to PE sheet and cut, compare and cleanup. 

IMG_20200711_184926.thumb.jpg.200d78142e0ddc4c1f0305e7831bb9c9.jpg

It's not very clearly visible but I modiffied the original here, added some edge towards the break and as in Simmons I cut the lowest edge to a pointy shape to fit better into the pocket. I Simmons project I just cut the extras away but couldn't add anything so I'm hoping to get an even better result here.

Next it's going to be a repairs shop for Jenpros and after that it's time to shape and mold these new sheets to get some shape for the glove itself. It's nice to have made that Simmons for a base of things and now I just have to refine what's done there.

Editnote: perspective and 2D are killing the info on the images. Hope you get some idea anyway.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:25 PM, ArdeFIN said:

What is it that makes the finger plate curve like this? How you do it? It's very common thing on these but why is it?

One reason is that the catcher is laced together too tight. My Smith glove had zero finger curl for years.. Until replaced the lacing at the finger tips and relaced it quite tightly.. Finger curl started to happen in a month. Learned a lesson then.

The Velocity glove is from Kiekkobussi? I was considering bying that.. just to do exactly what you're doing :D  Looking good! Glove projects are the most fun.

19 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

One reason is that the catcher is laced together too tight. My Smith glove had zero finger curl for years.. Until replaced the lacing at the finger tips and relaced it quite tightly.. Finger curl started to happen in a month. Learned a lesson then.

The Velocity glove is from Kiekkobussi? I was considering bying that.. just to do exactly what you're doing :D  Looking good! Glove projects are the most fun.

That might be, atleast a part of it. This Velocity has been opened earlier but I've sone some gloves that were factory original and still had the curling. So there has to be more, maybe a little too big plastic vs palm Jenpro and so on.

Jep, that's the source for me. Sadly they are not compensating enough for the used stuff so people don't sell them their old equipment and the stock is getting empty of projetables.

Lucky me getting this before you 😇

Drying process is done and it's time for some Jenpro job. I had some plans for this and some of them realised, some were altered on the run.

IMG_20200712_194147.thumb.jpg.e2eef6f6eb7ecd1699108309382ba088.jpg

I have some weave sheets as I normally don't use it to old gloves unless they are weave originally. But here I chose to go with it as there was plan for quite a bit of new surface. 

Doing it I got exited about the hypnotic spin and added those black triangles at break. Originally I was to cover only the edge with new Jenpro and with contrast color scheme. That was down to one small white part. 🙂 Some more will follow.

Did I mention the nice pockets for the plastics and how the finger side one was accidentally(?) sewn? Yes I did.

IMG_20200712_185437.thumb.jpg.11dc0d2b2643c0ee8e83d241f7a96cdf.jpg

And yes, I did sew them accidentally whille adding the Jenpros to the outside. 😁 First some heavy cursing and then ROFLMAO.

And after that some undo and redo. And completed with no damage. Actually I cut the original finger pocket leftovers away and added a new one there.

• Like 1

This is where there will be some black and white slices. Dismantled this already and maybe tomorrow it's time for a new layer.

I'll leave the eyelets under the Jenpro for support. And also it's easy to punch the holes through them so they will be right where they should be.

IMG_20200712_195933.thumb.jpg.1b3275205a3a527995f28020de88861e.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN

16 hours ago, Dumpy said:

My buddy does things like this to goal pads. You do great stuff to gloves. Your cool and it’s great you do this stuff.

Thanks. I've been looking over to leg pads too, but have never had the need to start. I'm using new bought Warrior R/GT pads myself. I do have a set of Vaughn LT88 which pads would need some internal repairs as well as the glove should be atleast washed. Blocker I already fixed but washing would be needed there too. Maybe some day I'll just do these.

This isnsort of hobbe for me. Instead of buying a plastic model of a IIWW tank or RC car, I buy used catcher gooves and repair them. Strange it is, but hey I'm a goalie also 😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Thanks. I've been looking over to leg pads too, but have never had the need to start. I'm using new bought Warrior R/GT pads myself. I do have a set of Vaughn LT88 which pads would need some internal repairs as well as the glove should be atleast washed. Blocker I already fixed but washing would be needed there too. Maybe some day I'll just do these.

This isnsort of hobbe for me. Instead of buying a plastic model of a IIWW tank or RC car, I buy used catcher gooves and repair them. Strange it is, but hey I'm a goalie also 😁

My buddy says pads are lots easier to do than gloves. He won’t touch internal material with a ten foot pole.

3 hours ago, Dumpy said:

My buddy says pads are lots easier to do than gloves. He won’t touch internal material with a ten foot pole.

Pads do require larger Jenpro sheets if there is wear to be fixed. Otherwise they're just composed of bigger parts. Maybe that's part of what I'm into gloves, the smaller parts and details.

Then back to the details, this is how it came out.

IMG_20200713_190113.thumb.jpg.0cfbe049e47caac61cf9c5cb0cc51ab8.jpg

Another one from inside. The binding is more on the inside, but doesn't matter more than that.

IMG_20200713_190215.thumb.jpg.2b50a1898ba0c4a92a33ccb1b790d2f1.jpg

• Like 1

Small fix here too, the plastic was almost through the surface and with sharp edge. That edge had to go too to be future proof.

IMG_20200713_194013.thumb.jpg.fc6b6906ad26bf2dcfc3c7714b58152a.jpg

Here's one possible reason for curling and will be worse with tight lacing. The top side must be larger so that the padding and plates and whatever fits in without pulling the palm area over the edges.

IMG_20200713_200641.thumb.jpg.97101c23a283f7cb05fa6ca50abd8895.jpg

• Like 1

Today was just a heat gun and drilling holes. Nothing to actually say about, just mark the holes through palm Jenpro that is the closest to plastics and drill. 6mm holes to finger plate, 5mm to thumb as the holes are close to the edge at the break line. The design would need the laceing to be moved a little to the wrist because holes near the plastic edge are prone to crack. But as it would need new holes to Jenpro on inside fabric too I'll just settle for what it is. It'll still last quite a long time for me playing 2 times a week max.

Then I looked over to the padding. Whether it was Simmons or Vaughn that made the original, Simmons has done the padding a lot better. Vaughn is using three layers of 2mm foam for fingers. One layer is sewn to bottom fingerstall and two layers are "free". At the edge there is 2+4 foam sheets, where there is no need for any padding protectionwise. What have they been doing? At the thumb area there is two 4mm sheets and one blok of about 15mm thick foam. I'll take a photo of this tomorrow to clarify. I'm not very happy with that either, but will fix it.

Then we have the break left. Simmons had both finger and thumb padding to extend over the break line which I don't see to be ideal for either protection or closure. Here is the same design idea, but with less padding to reach the break area at all! And that area is crucial for getting hits of the pucks. Ouch.

Ser33, you have yours still together, how do you feel the break area? Does it feel protected?

I'll be going to same design that I made in Simmons. Just have to get some extra padding as these Vaughns sheets cannot be used as was done with Simmons.

I know that no images just sucks. Sorry.

Oh well, I might have added this earlier but here is the break line with original padding. Not so much of it. The thumb side padding is also curled away.

IMG_20200709_203043.thumb.jpg.13528b1e9844c023a107a50ed6b3af4b.jpg

12 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Ser33, у тебя все еще вместе, как ты чувствуешь зону разрыва? Это чувствует себя защищенным?

IMG_20200709_203043.thumb.jpg.13528b1e9844c023a107a50ed6b3af4b.jpg

if I correctly understood the essence of your question, this model is not very well protected. my glove is made by custom and there was another layer of thin HD foam, but that did not save me from the sting. I added a little 8mm LD foam.

when I have time to refurbish this glove, I plan to replace the inner palm with felt

in quarantine, I started a new project to create hard pads with an integrated 90-degree knee block as for ultrasonic. quarantine ended and I work again, so all projects were postponed indefinitely

Edited by ser33

Ok, that was what I wanted to know. Your glove is a sort of practise palm then.

So it's just a bad design of padding. But design of the glove and mechanics is good atleast in my opinion. And it can be made to work very well as was proven already with Simmons.

Today I just got a new piece of HD foam from an old players gear and got some Nash (lookalike?) for the wrist pad. Also made a first test of it but the binding didn't work at all. I just hate sewing the bindings. 

Wrist pillow. What I got done yesterday was a no go afterall and had to be redone. Simple setup of one layer of Nash (or whatever) like fabric on top, bottom is called Vertex that is nylon like fabric but not that thick. Padding inside is LD foam about 8mm thick. And hook side of velcro 30mmx60mm about for you to get an idea of the sizing there. The furry part of velcro on the cuff is 50mm wide so I have enough space to set the pillow to a sweet spot.

IMG_20200716_205638.jpg

IMG_20200716_205652.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
Some text added..
  • Like 1