skate lace pocket

GoalieInTheDesertYT

Skate lace pockets just are softer than the assembly cord pockets. Pucks don't bounce from them, so to speak.

You can make a floating T yourself and you don't even have to cut that part of the T, it's just that you will have a very long and deep pocket. You just untie the attachment of the T to the top of the glove. Of course bobbing off a bit of the T makes for a more attractive, not quite as long or deep pocket. But only an experienced repair person or modder can do that. Of course there are some very talented people here who probably can bob some of the T off. 

Here is an example of an unbobbed T:

DRback.jpg

DRside.jpg

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Bunny, is the bottom of the T (the part towards the wrist) laced into the rest of the glove? I've never seen It the way you have it the pics, esp the top one.

No, that's what a floating T is referring to. I can't imagine needing such a thing, unless your glove has a really shallow pocket. 

As for lace vs cord... some will say it produces less bounce-outs but I honestly think that's just a placebo effect. I don't think there's much difference functionally, or if there is it is negligible. I would say it's much more likely to have something to do with appearance, more than anything. 

Guess it is like other terms these days...depends on who is using it. The floating Ts I've seen before are very loosely laced at the bottom to the rest of the glove with about an inch or two of slack laced in. Either way, I like it even though I don't have either version in mine. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

No, that's what a floating T is referring to. I can't imagine needing such a thing, unless your glove has a really shallow pocket. 

As for lace vs cord... some will say it produces less bounce-outs but I honestly think that's just a placebo effect. I don't think there's much difference functionally, or if there is it is negligible. I would say it's much more likely to have something to do with appearance, more than anything. 

After using both, there is a difference between the feel of the puck hitting the pocket.

With skatelace it's softer while cord has more of that snap feeling. I prefer cord and will probably stick with it from now on, but really, there is only a slight difference that you are mostly correct about it being aesthetics.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

After using both, there is a difference between the feel of the puck hitting the pocket.

With skatelace it's softer while cord has more of that snap feeling. I prefer cord and will probably stick with it from now on, but really, there is only a slight difference that you are mostly correct about it being aesthetics.

Agreed.  I prefer the skate lace, it's almost like a baseball glove feeling when the puck hits.  It made a huge difference on the Reebok glove I had, but it also had a pretty shallow pocket.  When I got my Passau I opted for the skate lace - not sure of how it would feel with cord, but the pocket is pretty large.

6 hours ago, Fullright said:

Bunny, is the bottom of the T (the part towards the wrist) laced into the rest of the glove? I've never seen It the way you have it the pics, esp the top one.

It is. All that has been done is that it is woven outwards so that it floats, but it is connected to the glove.

Sara at PAW did this when she reassembled my glove. We had decided that we would not bob off the T. 

I like it again because I perceive it bouncing with cord. Some pockets are very shallow, which does feel better with a floating T. I could not imagine my T1000 clone without a floating T, as it is a very shallow pocket. My 5500 (the one in the pic), I could go either way with. 

As far as what performs better, I just like the floating T, but I know a fair few cord pocket devotees. Nobody is wrong here. 

39 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Thanks. Floating or not, cool glove.

Thanks.

This glove started life as a V-Lite Pro (mainly cordura and nylon) when I wanted to build a Rangers/Habs/Capitals/ Team England set (red/white/blue unis), so we matched it to my Richter tribute blocker (Bauer Reactor 6000). Then SaveByRichter35's Vaughn pads that match were a perfect fit for these gloves. Still love that set; I have two sweaters that match and will have a third soon. Need to get a Rangers sweater next!

Archived