Jump to content

G5 pro vs g5 Sr ?


BMW11190
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Kirk3190,

I have been through this forum and through many websites that sell both the senior and pro G5 leg pads and want to understand the difference in internals, breaks and externals between both pads. I am trying to figure out if going pro leg pads for the G5 is worth the $700 difference. The two differences I am aware of is the Pro leg pad does not come with profile lock but does come with stiffer thigh rise with hyper comp, where the senior pad comes with profile lock and the thigh rise isnt as stiff.. If I am going to do a pro leg pad I would have to go through Monkey Sports as that is the only local shop I have in my area. I would like to know the true differences between pro  and senior leg pads retro style as far as internals and any external differences. If I go pro, I would be doing a custom retro set up and wonder if there are many additional options I can do with the custom leg pads as far and internal and external changes. I have never had pro leg pads, let alone pro custom leg pads so this would be a new thing for me getting  pro custom. I have initially wore P3 rebooks, moved to Bauer One90, Brians subzero 2 (Senior level), and currently in CCM Eflex 2 (senior 860). I am not sure if the profile lock can be asked to be added back to the pro custom set or if it is not an option for a reason. How much is the weight for G5 pro leg pad compared to G5 senior leg pad. I believe my current Eflex 2 Senior pads are 6lbs each...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

its not much diff as u have stated, just foam between the models, profile lock u don't really need, hype comp on the thighrise if u want more stiffness.  there are not custom options except for single and double break.

Its like the ford car model, u can have it any color you want as long as it is black.

the weight is minimal difference bt model as always.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DL42 what? G5 is offered in either no external break or single external break. There’s also medium stiff and x-stiff core options. Yes right now the G5 pros are only offered in white and black but soon they will have as many colors as sr+. As you said the weight difference is there but it’s hardly noticeable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

This is the exact question I came here to ask. I know there wasn't much difference between the G4 pro and sr, so is that the same with the G5s? 

Any improvement over the G4 floppy thigh rise is good, is the snr still stiffer than that? The pro is just insanely expensive in the UK, but the snr is ok and I'm very tempted. Was looking at Passau but no import taxes on the G5s and the quality seems a little better.

Edited by redrook
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, cuprajake said:

It was my understanding that they tend to use the previous yrs internals in the snr stuff, 

If that was correct then they would never change the internals, so unless the G5s have G1 internals there must be some difference.

That's disappointing if they are still soft, the G5s are supposed to be their stiff pad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats what got spouted 

They used last yr pro internals as the new snr internal. But that could be bs for sure

There ment to be stiffer for sure 

But the g4 was soft. 

The g5 all be it int were soft esp when compared to a bauer 3s int that was like a surfboard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cuprajake said:

Thats what got spouted 

They used last yr pro internals as the new snr internal. But that could be bs for sure

There ment to be stiffer for sure 

But the g4 was soft. 

The g5 all be it int were soft esp when compared to a bauer 3s int that was like a surfboard

Oh I see, you mean the pro internals from the previous year. 

Hmm, I suppose if I get some I can always return them. From looking at the pros there's not a flex point below the thigh rise, which killed the G4s, I wonder if it's the case for the snrs.

Edited by redrook
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, redrook said:

Oh I see, you mean the pro internals from the previous year. 

Hmm, I suppose if I get some I can always return them. From looking at the pros there's not a flex point below the thigh rise, which killed the G4s, I wonder if it's the case for the snrs.

its not the sr g5 do not have hypecomb like the g4 pros so theory is wrong.    

the flex point break doesn't do anything its just for looks its still interanl doouble  break. it didn't kill the g4,  anyone that wears the pads knows that once u break it in at that point its forms to that area.  you can stiffen up the thigh rise by throwing down a plasic ruler down the back side slot and putting a foam on the backside inside break to straighten it back up.  i did it on the g2-g4s.  the pads get too soft over time. not, "its too stiff".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're just grabbing a pair off the shelf and don't put too much emphasis into get Hypercomp and stiffer thrighrise, I'd just go the Senior route.

I put a pair of senior R/GT 1's through the ringer and they held up very well and never had any issues with performance, durability, and protection.

Keep in mind that the difference between a Warrior pad with and without the hypercomp is very noticeable. My thighrise on my R/GT2 Pros are night and day difference compared to my senior set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If you're just grabbing a pair off the shelf and don't put too much emphasis into get Hypercomp and stiffer thrighrise, I'd just go the Senior route.

I put a pair of senior R/GT 1's through the ringer and they held up very well and never had any issues with performance, durability, and protection.

Keep in mind that the difference between a Warrior pad with and without the hypercomp is very noticeable. My thighrise on my R/GT2 Pros are night and day difference compared to my senior set.

That's interesting, do you mean in terms of thighrise stiffness? I used to use Velocity (double break) and now in Eflex (single break) so never super stiff pads, as long as it doesn't flop around like an old double break pad I won't mind.

Edited by redrook
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, redrook said:

That's interesting, do you mean in terms of thighrise stiffness? I used to use Velocity (double break) and now in Eflex (single break) so never super stiff pads, as long as it doesn't flop around like an old double break pad I won't mind.

Exactly about the stiffness. I know the G3/4 lines were internal double break whereas the RGT lines are just single outer/inner break. My GT1 softened up quote a bit but till nothing like a double break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Exactly about the stiffness. I know the G3/4 lines were internal double break whereas the RGT lines are just single outer/inner break. My GT1 softened up quote a bit but till nothing like a double break.

Yes I have heard that the RGT is actually stiffer than the G4. Do you know if the G5 is double or single internal? I doesn't even seem to be on the Warrior website yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I believe they have finally gone with a single, but don't quote me on it.

Fingers crossed because that is something which has put me off the G4, and I want a flat faced pad this time so the RGT is out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, cuprajake said:

So if you look at trav4 vids or the new hrca vid the gr was a super soft thigh 

You could bend it back on itself. 

Try that with a gt and the top of the pad folds to the top of the knee roll not the whole thigh rise

Yeah I've seen both, by "gr" you mean G4 right? Yeah it was very bendy because it was an internal double break. And I know that the RGT was stiffer. I want to know if the G5 senior is stiffer than the G4 - the G5 in the hockeyreviews.ca video is a pro with custom extra stiff thigh rise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, redrook said:

Yeah I've seen both, by "gr" you mean G4 right? Yeah it was very bendy because it was an internal double break. And I know that the RGT was stiffer. I want to know if the G5 senior is stiffer than the G4 - the G5 in the hockeyreviews.ca video is a pro with custom extra stiff thigh rise.

I'm still pretty sure it's only a single break below the knee.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/warrior-ritual-g5-pro-senior-goalie-leg-pads

This lists that there is only a single external break, but who knows.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm still pretty sure it's only a single break below the knee.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/warrior-ritual-g5-pro-senior-goalie-leg-pads

This lists that there is only a single external break, but who knows.

Yeah I think you're right, although these are the pro rather than the snr (which I see are called the snr+). I've messaged Warrior on FB so hopefully we'll know soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Member Statistics

    1,774
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    Joshytea
    Newest Member
    Joshytea
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...