NHL Goalie Knee Pads- What do they wear?

I thought this would be a topic many would be interested in, since we often don’t see what pros are wearing under their socks.  Guys (like Rittich or Hart) who wear their pads exposed, we know. But what about Mike Smith? Here’s an older pic from his time with Coyotes.  Looks like the old grey Reeboks:

image.thumb.jpeg.aada91169ba8fe01b56336ab7afac5a1.jpeg

Here is Crow with what also looks like to be the same style.  I think he wears the CCM KP 1.9 with the plastic knee cap:

image.jpeg.889e4b90b48f3f1489db2d77bdad67b6.jpeg

Holtby wears his exposed, but actually cuts out the plastic knee cap (anyone who has worn these knows why):

image.thumb.jpeg.55c3616c1af39db3e3f9830abbdbeea4.jpeg

10 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Like they could take a bullet.

11 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I don’t know if pros wear these but they exist and look insane

https://www.hockeymonkey.ca/koho-goalie-accessories-589-pro-swiss-knee-guard.html

Pro's did/do still wear these, yes. Reimer, Luongo, Giggy, Enroth, Hiller. Probably a few more current guys that I'm unaware of.

I have a pair of these KOHO 589 Pro Swiss knee guards. They are amazing. I have an open knee cradle set, so the bulk works for me in my CCM pads. I've been wearing them for about 2 years now. Love them!

5a408fad3fc29_Mykoho589kneeguards.png.f3

Edited by creasecollector
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, creasecollector said:

Pro's did/do still wear these, yes. Reimer, Luongo, Giggy, Enroth, Hiller. Probably a few more current guys that I'm unaware of.

I have a pair of these KOHO 589 Pro Swiss knee guards. They are amazing. I have an open knee cradle set, so the bulk works for me in my CCM pads. I've been wearing them for about 2 years now. Love them!

5a408fad3fc29_Mykoho589kneeguards.png.f3

I wear them too. For me best knee pads ever. Originaly designed to fit in  KOHO 589 pads. These knee pads sold by goaliemonkey are copy of custom pads made in Swiss for pros Hiller or Giguere (if I remember originaly about §1000 for pair).  

gettyimages-504947726-2048x2048.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mik said:

I wear them too. For me best knee pads ever. Originaly designed to fit in  KOHO 589 pads. These knee pads sold by goaliemonkey are copy of custom pads made in Swiss for pros Hiller or Giguere (if I remember originaly about §1000 for pair).  

gettyimages-504947726-2048x2048.jpg

Yeah, they are sweet, the Koho 589 models. i love them.

I have heard of the original swiss-made custom knee pads and they are extra sweet. A goalie got a pair of them somehow from Switzerland.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Charlie T said:

I use these, good durability and hold still on the leg well, only disadvantage is the bulk cause the pads to push them up your leg a little bit

For how I wear my pads, that is why I'm selling mine. We're not talking bulky like the CCM ones but they don't work for me like my Warriors.