Colored cages

Hey guys,

been trying to decide whether or not to get a powder coated cage for my new mask. The mask itself will be wrapped with a black background and darker images. I’m trying to decide whether or not to get a stock SS one or get either  a gloss black or flat black cage. 

only downside I have heard of as for a black cage is tracking the puck and in scrambles being able to track the puck. I’m guessing this is another personal preference and some people are fine with black cages. 

this is my set up, the SS will match the silver in the set or I will make the whole mask black. 

CFEC52EE-C51A-417D-B1D0-F5849B4533BA.jpeg

6 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Hey guys,

been trying to decide whether or not to get a powder coated cage for my new mask. The mask itself will be wrapped with a black background and darker images. I’m trying to decide whether or not to get a stock SS one or get either  a gloss black or flat black cage. 

only downside I have heard of as for a black cage is tracking the puck and in scrambles being able to track the puck. I’m guessing this is another personal preference and some people are fine with black cages. 

this is my set up, the SS will match the silver in the set or I will make the whole mask black. 

CFEC52EE-C51A-417D-B1D0-F5849B4533BA.jpeg

It really is all personal preference... but I always lean towards functionality over style (even though I do look damn good IMO.) I actually had a bent cage the other day and slapped on a Titanium one I had in the closet... but immediately picked up another white one (and need to get the Ti cage powder coated anyway.) I just prefer looking through white.

That said... I have seen where the outside of a cage is painted but the inside is say white. So you sorta get the best of both worlds. Not sure how difficult that is but I know it is possible.

33 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

It really is all personal preference... but I always lean towards functionality over style (even though I do look damn good IMO.) I actually had a bent cage the other day and slapped on a Titanium one I had in the closet... but immediately picked up another white one (and need to get the Ti cage powder coated anyway.) I just prefer looking through white.

That said... I have seen where the outside of a cage is painted but the inside is say white. So you sorta get the best of both worlds. Not sure how difficult that is but I know it is possible.

I get ya, I usually prefer functionality over looks too. I’ve also heard about cages getting painted one color and a different on the inside. Might have to look it to whether or not that can happen.   

I used to have a bright orange cage on my mask, and do not recall it obscuring vision and/or puck tracking when I had it. Currently I use a stainless steel cage because I like the way that it looks with the mask that I currently use, but I would suggest using whichever one you are more comfortable with.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

*Coloured

Does the colour of a cage really make a difference for tracking? I rarely notice the cage during the game and have never had issues with my silver goalies masks or using black cages as a player.

In your case... when the puck is treats you like an open road toll on its way to the net... cage color probably doesn't matter.

For the rest of us I guess it comes down to perception being reality. At the end of the day you should be tracking with you head and not eyes per se... and if the puck is obscured by a cage... it would be regardless of the cage color. BUT... contrast can help pick up an object faster. So looking through white cage over white ice to find a black puck may be easier than through a darker cage for some. 

11 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

In your case... when the puck is treats you like an open road toll on its way to the net... cage color probably doesn't matter.

For the rest of us I guess it comes down to perception being reality. At the end of the day you should be tracking with you head and not eyes per se... and if the puck is obscured by a cage... it would be regardless of the cage color. BUT... contrast can help pick up an object faster. So looking through white cage over white ice to find a black puck may be easier than through a darker cage for some. 

That is what I was talking about, the contrast of the puck and the cage. All my gear is black so trying not to wash out the puck in those quick scenarios where I need to find it right away.  Probably just comes down to user preference 

24 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Just because I'm a bender doesn't mean you need to remind me. :crying:

Archived