Stick Curves and Deflections

Rfmusso

I’ve been using a 26” Reebok 6k Luongo curve for the past decade and recently made the switch to a 27.5” Warrior CR2 Mrazek curve to get more lift when clearing the puck.

I did get more lift but what I’ve noticed is that I’m starting to have low shots deflect up my blade and into the net instead of being steered away.

Is this something caused by the new curve or did I accidentally change  my technique?

22 minutes ago, Rfmusso said:

I’ve been using a 26” Reebok 6k Luongo curve for the past decade and recently made the switch to a 27.5” Warrior CR2 Mrazek curve to get more lift when clearing the puck.

I did get more lift but what I’ve noticed is that I’m starting to have low shots deflect up my blade and into the net instead of being steered away.

Is this something caused by the new curve or did I accidentally change  my technique?

If you have gone up 1.5 inches in paddle height, it definitely changes your technique

20 minutes ago, Naz said:

If you have gone up 1.5 inches in paddle height, it definitely changes your technique

Between the two brands the paddle height difference is only about 1/4”. The shoulders are different with the new Warrior stick having a much steeper shoulder than the Reebok. I’ve definitely noticed it feels different in the grip. 

1 hour ago, Rfmusso said:

Probably the way you're holding the stick.

If you're finding shots deflecting up your stick and into the net, you're going to have to present a more upright face to the puck when it's coming in. Raise your blocker hand and push it forward slightly more, while keeping the blade of the stick in the same spot, should solve your issue.

Alternatively (and this is something I try to do for rebound control), start bringing your glove hand down to your stick blade, and let your stick funnel pucks into your glove.

6 hours ago, Rfmusso said:

when the puck hit the stick deflect it to the corner by moving it in a arch and not poking at it, let it come to you.   also the paddle might be long on that pattern stick b/c the blade shape might be diff then what u were used to.  What this means is that 2 sticks might have the same paddle length measured out , but bc of the shape of the blade rocker will change the hand positioning  and feel of the stick..  This is the case of price ccm 26" vs warrior mrazek warrior 27.5 stick.  the warrior is longer bc of the heel shape not being rounded enough.

Thanks @DL42 and @CJ Boiss! I’ve started putting my glove behind my stick to catch pucks coming up on shots that are straight on but it is shots coming from my right to my left ,that I would normally push to the corner, that I am lifting in. I’ll focus on getting my glove up more but I agree that I am probably reaching at the shots and lowering my blocker in doing so.

I also think I’m using a larger stick than I should be so that doesn’t help. I went with the largest stick to try and reduce overlap between my blocker and pad when in reality I probably should have looked for a stick with a lower lie.

Are rocker shapes generally different by brands or can they vary differently within the same brands?

Check your technique too

I’ve noticed when I’m ramping pucks up instead of out to the corners, my weight is back on my butt instead of slightly forward. This causes my stick to tilt back and I jab at the puck as it’s coming in. 

Your blade should be perpendicular to the ice and meeting the puck at the heel. 

23 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Check your technique too

I’ve noticed when I’m ramping pucks up instead of out to the corners, my weight is back on my butt instead of slightly forward. This causes my stick to tilt back and I jab at the puck as it’s coming in. 

Your blade should be perpendicular to the ice and meeting the puck at the heel. 

Thanks for the input! I think I’m doing a little bit of everything all of you suggested but I’ll make it my point of focus when I get on the ice again Friday. I’ve been working on being more forward in the butterfly but I never thought it would affect my stick play too. 

2 hours ago, Rfmusso said:

Thanks for the input! I think I’m doing a little bit of everything all of you suggested but I’ll make it my point of focus when I get on the ice again Friday. I’ve been working on being more forward in the butterfly but I never thought it would affect my stick play too. 

The stick and the form are probably related.

Maybe you are sitting back on your heels in the butterfly because your stick is too long. 

Or maybe that's what you felt was comfortable so you got the taller paddle, but didn't realize it's making you sit up taller/backwards

Thanks @Chenner29 - Lots of possible things going on here. First time I've bought a stick in a decade and since then i've truly adopted the butterfly from being a standup/hybrid goalie so it may be time to downsize my stick paddle now that i'm spending more time in the butterfly and in a deeper crouch vs upright. Doesn't help that I bought it online without trying it out :)

Archived