Vaughn pad sizing

daffy

Question on Vaughn pads.  What's the difference between 34" velo and 35" velo pads?  Besides the obvious 1".  In other words where do the take the 1" off?  I thought I read somewhere that the Shin of the pad, ankle to first knee break under knee rolls was 1/2" difference.  Then the other 1/2" was on the boot.  Can someone confirm that is correct?

To hear Dennis Dombrowski size pads, he’s taking into account your boot size, shin size, then the thigh drop. He worked at Vaughn for 25 years FWIW. If they are older stuffed pads, you can be a lot more liberal with that sizing formula when factoring in the settling that occurs with stuffed pads. Hope this helps. 

57 minutes ago, daffy said:

Question on Vaughn pads.  What's the difference between 34" velo and 35" velo pads?  Besides the obvious 1".  In other words where do the take the 1" off?  I thought I read somewhere that the Shin of the pad, ankle to first knee break under knee rolls was 1/2" difference.  Then the other 1/2" was on the boot.  Can someone confirm that is correct?

Basically correct, yes.  I have pics on here somewhere that I can not find right now that have a 34 sitting beside a 35 and you can barely see the difference anywhere.  You most certainly will not find an entire inch gap in any one place, which is to say, pad size differences-in Vaughn anyway-are are not that significant jumping just 1 size.

My experience is if you can fit say a 35, you can fit a 36 or a 34 too, it's just a matter of preference, comfort, experience, etc.

I was told directly by Vaughn this year that the difference in jump just one size is "a half-inch below the knee and a half-inch above the knee."

As discussed here, overall stiffness makes a huge difference in how pads fit, too: a squishy 35 is very different than a stiff 35.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, daffy said:

I believe the +1/2" shin and +1/2" boot was correct pre-V6.  Once they added carbon to their gear, they fell in line with everyone else and changed it to +1/2" shin and +1/2" thigh.  Most MFGs these days are going by the NHL minimum 7.5" boot, as goalies generally want to use their max allotted inches on the thigh rise.

6 minutes ago, daffy said:

No just eyeing up some used sets.  

Be aware that some folks found newer gear after V7 to fit slightly larger than before, so you may want to try some new old stock in store or get accurate measurements.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Worth noting also that the V8 vs V9 are way different in similar sizing. I believe it was Seagoal above who pointed it out on one of his threads of new Vaughn pads I'm obsessed with reading 

Yeah, that's the thread I linked above.  They're not way different in size side by side, inch by inch.  Less than a quarter inch in any horizontal comparison.

They are just way different in stiffness and thus how they sit and rest either on their own or strapped to your leg is different.

See these pics, they tell the story best

20210624_095918.jpg

20210624_095850.jpg

You can have identically sized noodles, but hit one with hot water and not the other......things change. 

Edited by seagoal

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, that's the thread I linked above.  They're not way different in size side by side, inch by inch.  Less than a quarter inch in any horizontal comparison.

They are just way different in stiffness and thus how they sit and rest either on their own or strapped to your leg is different.

See these pics, they tell the story best

20210624_095918.jpg

20210624_095850.jpg

You can have identically sized noodles, but hit one with hot water and not the other......things change. 

Ya I've been wondering if I should get different pads lately myself. I have the VE8 Pro Carbon ones. 34+2 but there's something about then I just couldn't get totally use to. 

I am new (last year) to ice hockey goalie. I tried a friend's pads which were Vaughn SLRs and really likely them. So I decided to buy Vaughns but didn't pay attention that the Velocity line is was softer. 

Last night i tried his SLRs again and likely them more. But they don't feel overly more stiff. Definitely stiffer but maybe because they are a few years old they are loosing up. Also noticed they are much better for sliding even without the quick slide. 

Trying to decide which pads to get now. The SLRs or the V9s. As you can imagine I didnt sleep good last night because of this 

3 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Ya I've been wondering if I should get different pads lately myself. I have the VE8 Pro Carbon ones. 34+2 but there's something about then I just couldn't get totally use to. 

I am new (last year) to ice hockey goalie. I tried a friend's pads which were Vaughn SLRs and really likely them. So I decided to buy Vaughns but didn't pay attention that the Velocity line is was softer. 

Last night i tried his SLRs again and likely them more. But they don't feel overly more stiff. Definitely stiffer but maybe because they are a few years old they are loosing up. Also noticed they are much better for sliding even without the quick slide. 

Trying to decide which pads to get now. The SLRs or the V9s. As you can imagine I didnt sleep good last night because of this 

If you can wait, I think the SLR3 pads are coming out soon.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

Still working to find the right set of pads.  I did buy a next to new set of V6s 34+2" where I was actually missing the knee block.  Knee landed below it.  It would catch it but not right on it.  So I guess I'm a 33" in newer Vaughn pads.  The thing about the 34" was they closed the 5 hole well.  If I go to a 33+2" I'm worried I'll have an opening there.  Looking at the stiffness of the V9 compared to the V8, do you think the V9 would give me better closure considering they sit an inch taller?

I was looking at the clearance on the pro V elite from goalie monkey.  I thought I read somewhere they had 2 internal breaks.  This could help as well if buying a 33+2.