Calling Medusa mask strap users

Vanniek71

I'm looking for alternatives to the mask bands that are out there - last night I had a snap that corroded through on a fairly new mask - in a game.... was searching around and see the sewn tab types, the type I have with snaps and Monster's Medusa. Obviously Monster isn't around anymore so I can't go look at their pics.....

Anyone that has the Medusa would you mind sending me some pics of it? Specifically the inside of the backplate attachment pieces and the clips that go on the mask.

Thanks!

Edited by Vanniek71

@Vanniek71 I don't use Medusa straps but I have been using Pro's Choice's quick snap harness for years without issue if you are open to similar alternatives. My oldest PC is 2008 and the original set of quick snaps are still going strong. Also have them on a 2010 and 2014 PC as original hardware. Still springy and snaps are still intact. For context - up until the last handful of years I was on the ice three days consecutive a week during the season and at least once a week during the summer. Good luck.

https://progoaliemask.com/quick-snap/

Edited by chile57
  • Like 2

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

I was under the impression that Monster hockey is no more. From what I recall, there were short J-hooks rather than snaps.

Monster is no more, which is why I am looking for pics. The attachments on the top of the mask look like cage clips and then the sides had J clips. Just want to see how its made, so I can bust out the sewing machine and try my own version.

7 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

Monster is no more, which is why I am looking for pics. The attachments on the top of the mask look like cage clips and then the sides had J clips. Just want to see how its made, so I can bust out the sewing machine and try my own version.

Gotcha. 👍🏽

If they were still around, you could have knocked me over with a feather. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Vanniek71 I haven't used these myself... but Outsider straps won't have a problem with corrosion as they are just the elastic looped through what looks to be jenpro. 

image.png.8d4ea4befe13cac51e1cd9ef40ae5400.png  image.png.0195b1477b0ebd0e129cc63aa4440deb.png

https://goalieparts.com/products/the-original-outsider-straps-open-backplate-goalie-mask-replacement-straps-by-wzlhed.html

Yep those are the leading candidate, but they are 4 weeks out on black :(I was intrigued by the shock cord versions too, I can create all my own attachments etc, but figured If I could get a look at what Monster did it would give me a good starting point. 

Halo hockey has some shock cord attachment ones too, I asked him if he had any pics of them on a mask - awaiting a response there. 

@Vanniek71 if you are only leaning toward creating your own iteration due to prohibitive lead times and would otherwise order them up somewhere - you might try Sara at PAW. I'm not certain she does mask straps but she very well might. I know that she just made up some custom elastic for my pads and I had them in hand within a couple days (nowhere near (4) weeks for sure). Sara's awesome - always super responsive.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chile57 said:

@Vanniek71 if you are only leaning toward creating your own iteration due to prohibitive lead times and would otherwise order them up somewhere - you might try Sara at PAW. I'm not certain she does mask straps but she very well might. I know that she just made up some custom elastic for my pads and I had them in hand within a couple days (nowhere near (4) weeks for sure). Sara's awesome - always super responsive.

Nah I like to tinker, created my own toe tie system so figured may as well crank something out for my mask too. I may very well order some of the outsider straps to have an use and then give myself more time to come up with my own creation. 

And I agree Sara is awesome - she is why I have the materials to make my own items from time to time 😃

Edited by Vanniek71
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

Nah I like to tinker, created my own toe tie system so figured may as well crank something out for my mask too. I may very well order some of the outsider straps to have an use and then give myself more time to come up with my own creation. 

And I agree Sara is awesome - she is why I have the materials to make my own items from time to time 😃

Sara started out like all of us tinkerers. 

1 hour ago, chile57 said:

@Vanniek71 I don't use Medusa straps but I have been using Pro's Choice's quick snap harness for years without issue if you are open to similar alternatives. My oldest PC is 2008 and the original set of quick snaps are still going strong. Also have them on a 2010 and 2014 PC as original hardware. Still springy and snaps are still intact. For context - up until the last handful of years I was on the ice three days consecutive a week during the season and at least once a week during the summer. Good luck.

https://progoaliemask.com/quick-snap/

Seconded on the Pro's Choice snaps.  Only offered in white or cream though.

I've used the Outsiders and didn't like them as much, the elastic material seemed to wear out much quicker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DL42 said:

those are cord holders used in picture frame holdings  or computer desk.  goto home depot or hareware store andd look them or ask someone

I found some at Home Depot, EZ cable clips look like they will fit the bill at least to start with 😃

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-4-in-Aluminum-EZ-Clips-15-Pack-PAC-1525/100125860

For what its worth - pretty sure the PC quick snaps are white or black... or at least so says the site (and is also what I ordered moons ago - a set of each to mix and match for my lid).

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've used the Outsiders and didn't like them as much, the elastic material seemed to wear out much quicker.

Respect/happy tinkering @Vanniek71 

16 hours ago, Vanniek71 said:

Yep those are the leading candidate, but they are 4 weeks out on black :(

15 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

If black is what you need and you want to tinker... based on the note from @Chenner29 pick up some Pros Choice in cream and dye them black yourself. Best of both worlds... good straps... and you get to make them your own. Could also go full JBo and paint them.

19 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

If black is what you need and you want to tinker... based on the note from @Chenner29 pick up some Pros Choice in cream and dye them black yourself. Best of both worlds... good straps... and you get to make them your own. Could also go full JBo and paint them.

The whole point of this post isn’t for suggestions (I appreciate them none the less) it was a request for pictures of Medusa Straps or even Halo shock cord mask straps. I know I can use what’s already been on the mask. I had a failure on a snap, I can just replace the snap too…. But wanted to try something different.

if I’m going to buy anything new, I’ll just buy it and be done with it. The tinkering aspect came in to play because Monster went south and you can’t buy the Medusa straps anymore. Halo has their version, but for some reason Jack won’t respond and I can’t see what his version looks like installed. (Mind you I don’t want to DIY copy his design, I’d just buy them if it looked good)

27 minutes ago, chile57 said:

We're all poor listeners... 😆

... but at least we weren't dicks to boot.

Like I said I appreciate the suggestions, just wanted to steer this thread back in the original direction...

If you are saying I am being a dick, then my last post was taken wrong.

I don't want to have to make something myself if I don't have to, if its a solid solution I'd love to buy it and support someones business. I'd like to try something new other than the standard mask straps - if that solution is Solid and Comfortable. But if there isn't anything out there then I am more than glad to DIY it.

1 hour ago, Vanniek71 said:

The whole point of this post isn’t for suggestions (I appreciate them none the less) it was a request for pictures of Medusa Straps or even Halo shock cord mask straps. I know I can use what’s already been on the mask. I had a failure on a snap, I can just replace the snap too…. But wanted to try something different.

if I’m going to buy anything new, I’ll just buy it and be done with it. The tinkering aspect came in to play because Monster went south and you can’t buy the Medusa straps anymore. Halo has their version, but for some reason Jack won’t respond and I can’t see what his version looks like installed. (Mind you I don’t want to DIY copy his design, I’d just buy them if it looked good)

Wanted to add Jack added some pics for his system on his web page so at least I got to see what they looked like on the mask 😃

Definitely not calling you a dick or even alluding to it. It was more a commentary on the responses. Even though we didn't speak to your initial request - at least we were trying to provide some suitable solutions to the overall conundrum instead of acting like super tough, quippy dickheads (behind the comfort and anonymity of our keyboards)... which you know - happens very rarely every so often on the internet. 😊

Herding cats is a full time job - kudos for the wrangling.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chile57 said:

Definitely not calling you a dick or even alluding to it. It was more a commentary on the responses. Even though we didn't speak to your initial request - at least we were trying to provide some suitable solutions to overall conundrum instead of acting like super tough, quippy dickheads (behind the comfort and anonymity of our keyboards)... which you know - happens very rarely every so often on the internet. 😊

Herding cats is a full time job - kudos for the wrangling.

Ok GOTCHA, and yeah that's why I was asking if it sounded like I was being a dick LOL

I do appreciate the suggestions and even if its not what I am looking for, at least I am talking to other goalies about goalie stuff......my wife listens to me with glossed over eyes and has no clue what I am talking about so there's that HAHA

... actually - here's a little more behind the curtain. Not sure how I feel about it. Seems the screw in clips would ultimately fray the cord but what do I know. Also shows a move from the grommet to just a pass through slit.

Edited by chile57