Step Steel

Dave

The Step Steel Fat goalie runners are only for the older True 2-piece holder, pictured below.

These runners are narrower (3mm) where it installs into the holder and wider where it contacts the ice (4mm).

TrueGS.png.8b6c1e75db0f33017dff25e9c3c1400b.png

Newer holders that come on the currently produced True custom and stock TF9/TF7 have the holder below, which requires different steel. The Step Steel Fat that I linked above will not fit in this holder.

There is a 3mm runner and 4mm runner(similar to the Step Steel Fat). However, neither are manufactured by Step Steel.

True2.png.3c4317445a06bbd9036221586a8afa46.png\

Thought this might be important as you mentioned you were looking at a stock True skate - I'm assuming the TF9.

Edited by ZeroGravitas

On the topic of Step Steel, my understanding is that the brand has since been binned after being bought out by CCM. The blades are now being marketed as JRZ Pro Steel, and JRZ is manufacturing them in Canada, with Canadian steel. Blades with the black coating (whatever Step Blacksteel were) should be available in the next few months.

8 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

On the topic of Step Steel, my understanding is that the brand has since been binned after being bought out by CCM. The blades are now being marketed as JRZ Pro Steel, and JRZ is manufacturing them in Canada, with Canadian steel. Blades with the black coating (whatever Step Blacksteel were) should be available in the next few months.

Interesting. Where did you hear this? I'm looking at the 2022 CCM catalog and there's a "STEP Created for CCM" logo plastered on a couple pages.

8 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Interesting. Where did you hear this? I'm looking at the 2022 CCM catalog and there's a "STEP Created for CCM" logo plastered on a couple pages.

Ryan Earle; he owns the Stick Fix pro shop at Great Plains arena in Calgary. I go to him for all my goalie skate stuff.

I actually got my JRZ blades last night (originally ordered back in early August, it was a bit of a saga), had them installed and played a game with them. Phenomenal performance.

Edited by CJ Boiss

18 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Is there a link?  Are we talking about the same JRZ goalie equipment manufacturer?

1 hour ago, Desert Tendy said:

Thanks!  Did you have to order them for the shift holders in 3mm/4mm?  I called and one guy had no clue about these runners.

I bought the blades for my AS1s; I think they use the "Attack Profile" cowling? I don't know if you'll be able to find this steel for True runners, given CCM bought Step.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

The Step Steel Fat goalie runners are only for the older True 2-piece holder, pictured below.

These runners are narrower (3mm) where it installs into the holder and wider where it contacts the ice (4mm).

TrueGS.png.8b6c1e75db0f33017dff25e9c3c1400b.png

Newer holders that come on the currently produced True custom and stock TF9/TF7 have the holder below, which requires different steel. The Step Steel Fat that I linked above will not fit in this holder.

There is a 3mm runner and 4mm runner(similar to the Step Steel Fat). However, neither are manufactured by Step Steel.

True2.png.3c4317445a06bbd9036221586a8afa46.png\

Thought this might be important as you mentioned you were looking at a stock True skate - I'm assuming the TF9.

Not entirely true(no pun intended).  I have Step fat blades for my CCM XSG holders.