Cowling Sizing Question

Punisher Goalie

What size skate are you in? I would guess that if it’s a Bauer cowling, you’re looking at actual to 1/2 size bigger than your current boot. My Vaughn cowling is a size 8; my normal skate size is 7.5. My boot fits right into the cowling perfectly; I even installed it myself with T nuts.

Would True not be able to say what size cowling since they used to sell these with Bauer cowlings?

24 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Does VH sell boots only?  I'm still brave enough to drop big bucks on cowlingless skates.  

Wouldn't mind getting VH boots for my Bauer holders 

Yes. You can order just the boot or the boot with the step holder.

Also all the boots are the same at this point so it doesn’t matter if you go cowlingless or not. You’re not locked in one way or the other. 

Since you now have to go through a retailer you can just bring them the cowlings. 

@Punisher Goalie What size were your last skates?  I ask because 263mm seems to be like a size 5 because at a size 7.5 skate, I used a 272mm runner. But things vary, as well. However, I could believe that the Step holder was a 263 at a size 7.5 skate, as that holder looks to be at least 9mm or so shorter. 

If it were me, I would order a size of cowling close to your skate size. If it were a 7.5, I would get a size 8 Bauer cowling (as the 7 is probably too small) or get a size 7 and 8 and return the one that doesn’t fit.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

@Punisher Goalie What size were your last skates?  I ask because 263mm seems to be like a size 5 because at a size 7.5 skate, I used a 272mm runner. But things vary, as well. However, I could believe that the Step holder was a 263 at a size 7.5 skate, as that holder looks to be at least 9mm or so shorter. 

If it were me, I would order a size of cowling close to your skate size. If it were a 7.5, I would get a size 8 Bauer cowling (as the 7 is probably too small) or get a size 7 and 8 and return the one that doesn’t fit.

Yeah that does seem weird. My size in Bauer Supremes (player and goalie) has always been 7.5 and CCM 7.0. I’m going to try sending the length measurement to Goalie Monkey to get a recommendation.

Bauer vertexx cowlings work as follows.  A size 7 boot and a size 7.5 boot both fit into a size 7 cowling.  An 8 and 8.5 boot both fit into an 8 cowling, etc.  How that translates to the size of a VH boot is beyond me.  Idk how tall the toe box is on those boots compared to a Bauer boot.  You may need to size up in case it is bigger, you may not have to.  Bunny might have the right idea with buying both sizes and returning what you don't need.

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Bauer vertexx cowlings work as follows.  A size 7 boot and a size 7.5 boot both fit into a size 7 cowling.  An 8 and 8.5 boot both fit into an 8 cowling, etc.  How that translates to the size of a VH boot is beyond me.  Idk how tall the toe box is on those boots compared to a Bauer boot.  You may need to size up in case it is bigger, you may not have to.  Bunny might have the right idea with buying both sizes and returning what you don't need.

My size 7 did not work on my VH boot and my normal size is 7.5. The boot could be bigger due to the cladding.

I’d buy both sizes, myself.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:24 PM, cwarnar said:

Does VH sell boots only?  I'm still brave enough to drop big bucks on cowlingless skates.  

Wouldn't mind getting VH boots for my Bauer holders 

My Trues were ordered boot only.

12 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@bunnyman666 @SaveByRichter35 Thanks for the advice. Will go that route. Will report back which size fits. Hoping this works out.

I would size up if I were you.

My Trues did not fit in my Graf cowling.  I think it's because the new boots were designed to be cowlingless so there is a lot more reinforcement at the plastic toe cap.

I went from a size 6.5 Graf skate to a size 8 Bauer holder. 

Bob @ No Icing Sports in New Hampshire helped me size mine up.  I messaged him on Facebook with my boot measurement, heel to toe, and he picked out a Vertexx Edge holder that fit my boot.

He's done a ton of mounts on the True/VH skate so he's a great resource to poll.  He's the only one that told me the Graf cowling may not fit and he was right!

Just now, cwarnar said:

You mind if I asked what you paid for boot only?

$710 US after tax.

$400 for the Vertexx Edge holders, 2 sets of LS3 steel (what a waste, should have gone Tydan from the beginning), and 20/32' profile with medium forward pitch on a 3/8" FBV.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hmm.  Last time I ordered the cowling from GM they weren't the 2.0.  This was last black friday.

They carry the 3mm model (One100?) and 4mm model (One80?) so maybe that was the difference? These are (at least supposedly) the 4mm model. I had heard a lot of complaints about the 3mm steel creaking. 

Archived