John Brown 2400 Cup

I have an old Eagle double cup, the gray one. The straps are all stretched out. The material covering the entire unit is damaged. It's all normal wear. The structural integrity of the cups and the plastic shield are good. But even with tying up all the straps to keep them tight, the cup tends to sag a bit during play.

So I am considering a new cup. I am a John Brown fanboy, so I am inclined to go with his product. His double cup offering is the 2400. I have seen some comments on this site that this particular model is huge, some say overkill. I would like to know what anyone who has worn this exact model has to say about their experience with it. Also, how it may compare to the Eagle double cup I have. I do wear John Brown 2000 pants, so I would imagine they would be compatible with the cup. I also wear my chest and arm protector untucked. I am not really concerned about price, since I so rarely buy new equipment.

7146256B-E338-421E-B262-DFD20F69FF61_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c3bd7f38a6f24f11919564d74ff54d76.jpegFFE869CC-D49D-45E9-ADF3-B0CA3A39A9D8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.77da992a72ca082f928eec866ce056e4.jpeg

I used that cup for one season and you can definitely say it is huge. If you have Brown pants the fitting shouldn't be a problem but it sure takes a couple of skates to get used to the size. I have Brown 2400 pants and 2200 c/a which I tuck into pants and there were no problems with fitting.

Even though the cup is huge, I wasn't completely satisfied with its protection. I felt some unpleasant stingers and I don't want to wear a separate cup under it so I went to search for other options. After some research and reading reviews I bought a Warrior Ritual X2 Pro jock and it has been a perfect solution for me. Much more compact in size and zero stingers after two seasons. I still have Brown jock in storage and maybe I will give it another try when Warrior has to retire. I personally think there can never be enough protection for you family jewels. 😄

I took a couple nasty nut shots in warmups a few months ago so I changed up my loadout a bit

I now wear these Bauer cross compression undergarments, which have a built in cup. 

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/gamewear/undergarments/adult-lower-undergarments/bauer-hockey-jock-core-1-0-compression-cup-sr.html

The cross compression is the same tech that CoreShorts uses in their shorts (https://coretection.com/) - they're supposed to help stabilize the core during physical activity.  On top of that, having the tension in the pants to push the cup into place helps with the overall security when you're taking a shot to the jock

On top of that, I'm wearing the Bauer Pro goalie jock (https://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/jocks-cups/adult-jocks-cups/bauer-goalie-jock-pro-sr.html)

It took a couple skates to get used to, but I pretty much feel invincible down there now

Not exactly what you were looking for, but hopefully some input helps you with a decision

15 hours ago, TresPasser said:

Even though the cup is huge, I wasn't completely satisfied with its protection. I felt some unpleasant stingers and I don't want to wear a separate cup under it so I went to search for other options.

So, it doesn’t protect adequately? Did the cup shift or was it a direct shot that you felt through the cup? Was it an impact to the cup or above it by the top piece?

I haven’t experienced anything like that with my current cup and it’s probably more than 15 years old. I made some adjustments to the strapping so it won’t sag and we’ll see how it holds tonight when I play. 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:14 AM, WillyGrips13 said:

So, it doesn’t protect adequately? Did the cup shift or was it a direct shot that you felt through the cup? Was it an impact to the cup or above it by the top piece?

I haven’t experienced anything like that with my current cup and it’s probably more than 15 years old. I made some adjustments to the strapping so it won’t sag and we’ll see how it holds tonight when I play. 

They were direct shots that I felt. Worst ones were the ascending shots that hit the cup from below. I used to have a Brian's DX cup which never had any issues regardless of the angle or strength of the shot. Also with my current Warrior cup I haven't faced the same problems. It is possible that it is only me who has so sensible nuts, thanks to good old 90's Kohos which caused quite many moments when I just had to catch my breath few moments after hit. 😄 For clarification, I never felt so bad stinger with Brown cup that caused serious pain. They were more like a very unpleasant feeling in stomach when you get hit to the right spot. I think one reason for that was that I couldn't get the cup fit tight enough because of its size and that's why it moved a little during the puck hit.

• 1 year later...

Wanted to revive this thread. I never did replace my cup like I was thinking of when I first created this thread. I just had the Eagle cup altered to fit better. But I still want to get a new cup. Question is, which one should I consider? Is double cup required? It seems some manufacturers offer a single cup as their top model presumably with other structural reinforcement to make up for using only one cup.

It turns out the Brown cup that I titled this thread after is only a single cup and the shield over it is what reinforces it. Anyone have any further opinions on their offering? Is it as protective as the standard double cup?

What are your opinions on what would be the ideal cup to wear? I think my local Perani's has a Brian's Optik double cup.

Any ideas and opinions are welcome.

I felt a couple of shots with the midline CCM that I had, I tried wearing a player's underneath it to help but I didn't like how it felt. I now use a 1.5 cup that Bauer Pro offers and it's been good for over a year and a half now. But I might try @Chenner29 's setup tonight, as I use the exact coreshorts just without the cup inside.

I'll second the vote for a Warrior jock. I'm on my second one (elastic just stretched out a bit too much for me and was an excuse I don't need to buy gear (even as boring as a jock)) and have nary had an issue. Before that I had a Simmons Air jock which was also more than adequate (though it doesn't look like those are an option after a quick site peruse (?)). Before that - an ooold Vic jock.

I'm not sure two true "cups" are necessary (somewhere @bunnyman666 is cursing me up and down). Most current offerings seem to subscribe to the cup covered by a padded protective "plate" which is still two layers of protection. Honestly my biggest gripe with any of the newer jocks I've seen or tried is the lack of FUPA protection. That old Vic of mine had a huge band above the cup that would articulate logically at the waist. Seems everything any more just has a small width of protection above the cup itself. Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Wanted to revive this thread. I never did replace my cup like I was thinking of when I first created this thread. I just had the Eagle cup altered to fit better. But I still want to get a new cup. Question is, which one should I consider? Is double cup required? It seems some manufacturers offer a single cup as their top model presumably with other structural reinforcement to make up for using only one cup.

It turns out the Brown cup that I titled this thread after is only a single cup and the shield over it is what reinforces it. Anyone have any further opinions on their offering? Is it as protective as the standard double cup?

What are your opinions on what would be the ideal cup to wear? I think my local Perani's has a Brian's Optik double cup.

Any ideas and opinions are welcome.

Edited by chile57