Ti Cages

TheGoalNet

17 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I do recall hearing that Warwick offered titanium cages but that was sometime ago, you'd have to inquire.

From my personal experience with Warwick, Warwick can only do a titanium cat-eye, if that's a factor. 

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I will ask @Joe Messina and go out from there. 

My Ti CCM pro stock cages are amazing. It's a shame they cannot get these to a retail friendly price point or that one of the smaller companies is not offering a similar product for sale. 

I would love to get one of these on my VTX

In reading up on Ti vs. Stainless Steel, I'm seeing a 40%-50% weight reduction when using Ti (depending on the alloy) with a minimal reduction in strength when compared to Stainless. Is that the sole reason you're looking for a Ti cage?

@BadAngle41 - Yes, I found the helmet feels more balanced and less noticeable with the TI cages. It's one of those ignorance is bliss things. I never had an issue until I tried Ti. 

Pat Lefebvre said the NHL guys in CCM buckets are 50/50 between a Ti and Stainless. 

The benefit to steel is that more flexible it will bend and take more of an abuse than Ti. When Ti starts to become compromised, it can snap or fracture. It also has a lot more stress during it's welding process. If it is not heat treated properly, it's like a giant compacted spring waiting to explode free and it stays in that state. That is why so many people have issues welding Ti cages. The bars literally want to separate. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 - Yes, I found the helmet feels more balanced and less noticeable with the TI cages. It's one of those ignorance is bliss things. I never had an issue until I tried Ti. 

Pat Lefebvre said the NHL guys in CCM buckets are 50/50 between a Ti and Stainless. 

The benefit to steel is that more flexible it will bend and take more of an abuse than Ti. When Ti starts to become compromised, it can snap or fracture. It has also has a lot more stress during it's welding process. If it is not heat treated properly, it's like a giant compacted spring waiting to explode and stays in that state. That is why so many people have issues welding Ti cages. 

Gotta love a little metallurgy in the morning!! I'd be interested in having one made for my Wall if you find someone. Been meaning to have the stock stainless powder coated as the white paint is chipping off... but might as well look into a whole cage.

12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

The benefit to steel is that more flexible it will bend and take more of an abuse than Ti. When Ti starts to become compromised, it can snap or fracture. It also has a lot more stress during it's welding process. If it is not heat treated properly, it's like a giant compacted spring waiting to explode free and it stays in that state. That is why so many people have issues welding Ti cages. The bars literally want to separate. 

That also contributes to the high cost. 

On several interviews with Ti bike makers, welding IS the biggest component of the cost.

8 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That also contributes to the high cost. 

On several interviews with Ti bike makers, welding IS the biggest component of the cost.

Ti material is also 3x - 5x more expensive than steel too. Depends on the grade of ti compared to the grade of steel. So the raw wire cost is a big factor too. 

Summary: Raw materials cost more, it's harder to manufacture, and the finish product has a higher liability = Bad for retail and/or mass production 

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

Ti material is also 3x - 5x more expensive than steel too. Depends on the grade of ti compared to the grade of steel. So the raw wire cost is a big factor too. 

Oh no, for certain! Ti is not cheap, but fabrication costs are actually a much bigger factor for the cost according to cycling companies whom I spoke with all those years back. From what one told me, there were rejects coming from the most experienced welders! 

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

An old friend of mine would have built you a cage (as he used to machine the ti parts for bike frames and handlebars), but he moved away and we lost contact. 

He could get the REALLY good stuff, too.  

Not sure what's worse... not being able to source one... or knowing there is a guy who could but we can't get a hold of him.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

You’d be the only, and I mean ONLY one with a 3D printed cage...

:giggle:

It would work.

ti64 parts are flying in GE jet engines and used as implants for spinal surgery, hip replacement etc. There's also a nice niche with it in your beloved bike market...

But yeah, I would need a real engineer involved if I were going to attempt it! I know it would work. I don't know if I am the guy to make it work... 

38 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

It would work.

ti64 parts are flying in GE jet engines and used as implants for spinal surgery, hip replacement etc. There's also a nice niche with it in your beloved bike market...

But yeah, I would need a real engineer involved if I were going to attempt it! I know it would work. I don't know if I am the guy to make it work... 

Sure there is. I used 6/4 Ti as bottom bracket shells, head tubes, and machined parts. 

I think you should try it!!!!

Archived