Jump to content

My pads are turning yellow


Lukas

Recommended Posts

Had these nhl pads from June! Now it’s December and they look like they have been used for 2 years. After training I put them in our dry room. 
 

Maybe someone has the same problem and could help me out. I thought maybe plasti dipping them or maybe painting them in general. The next option maybe is using bleach. 

9A66ECB8-7772-4467-A364-3D4DC5B68F30.jpeg

C5A7B38A-336F-4236-A09F-E854546492D3.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

I’m not going to lie, I thought those were 2 different pads. 
have you tried a magic sponge?

I have not, I think they would only remove the puck marks. From a far they look fine but once you come closer they are All yellow and red mixed together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, the pre-Mach Bauer pads do you have  yellowing issue. Also, being that those are Pro stock, it's possible that Elvis has an even earlier skin and the pads might be extra bad toward yellowing. Bauer has worked on this with every generation.

Does the room you store these in get a lot of sun light? Every let them dry outside?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Unfortunately, the pre-Mach Bauer pads do you have  yellowing issue. Also, being that those are Pro stock, it's possible that Elvis has an even earlier skin and the pads might be extra bad toward yellowing. Bauer has worked on this with every generation.

Does the room you store these in get a lot of sun light? Every let them dry outside?

No it doesn’t get any light at all. It’s a closed off room, with hot pipes that go through it, that produces the warmness of the room. I have not no. Only in that room. 

One of the reasons I thought is maybe because of the chemicals they use for the ice because I didn’t wipe them dry after ice times

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Ouch, my ccm never did this. 

Big fan of Bauer! But for what ever reason in Latvia only the pro stocks change color. But one model lower don’t turn. For example my 2x pads. They never turned yellow. I thought it’s because they don’t use a specific material but just sew on leather

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Lukas said:

No it doesn’t get any light at all. It’s a closed off room, with hot pipes that go through it, that produces the warmness of the room. I have not no. Only in that room. 

One of the reasons I thought is maybe because of the chemicals they use for the ice because I didn’t wipe them dry after ice times

 

Wonder if it is something with the ice conditions itself? I am sorry you are experiencing this. It does suck.

It is a known issue and something that shouldn't exist in the future though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Wonder if it is something with the ice conditions itself? I am sorry you are experiencing this. It does suck.

It is a known issue and something that shouldn't exist in the future though

What do you think will happen if I bleach them? Or on the other side paint them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't recommend bleach as its pretty harsh and could lead to drying things out/cracking. I guess if you are hellbent on making them look "new" paint would likely be the best option... but that'll add a bit of weight when its all said and done... and beg for repeat paintings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chile57 said:

I wouldn't recommend bleach as its pretty harsh and could lead to drying things out/cracking. I guess if you are hellbent on making them look "new" paint would likely be the best option... but that'll add a bit of weight when its all said and done... and beg for repeat paintings.

Yeah true! Thank fully they don’t look as bad as my s190.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lukas said:

What do you think will happen if I bleach them? Or on the other side paint them

Bleach will be too harsh on the pads, but even then, probably won't help. The issue is the glue underneath discoloring so unless you can find something that turns adhesive white without destroying the materials it's attached to, I think you're stuck with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Bleach will be too harsh on the pads, but even then, probably won't help. The issue is the glue underneath discoloring so unless you can find something that turns adhesive white without destroying the materials it's attached to, I think you're stuck with it.

Yeah true. What about plastidip and then painting them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lukas said:

What do you think will happen if I bleach them? Or on the other side paint them

 

I think that painting, like dry cleaning, can destroy the material of the skin. imo the most painless option is pasting with white vinyl / plachtidip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Lukas said:

Yeah true. What about plastidip and then painting them?

Leather (even synthetic leather or rather, vinyl in Bauer's case) needs to breathe so paint would not be a good idea. Paint also has a hard time flexing and paint is technically full of solvents so it might hurt the material. I'd rock it like it is but of those options, I like plastidip the best because you can remove and reapply easily.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Leather (even synthetic leather or rather, vinyl in Bauer's case) needs to breathe so paint would not be a good idea. Paint also has a hard time flexing and paint is technically full of solvents so it might hurt the material. I'd rock it like it is but of those options, I like plastidip the best because you can remove and reapply easily.

Okay thank you! Thankfully they don’t look bad haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Member Statistics

    1,992
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    kmccann1223
    Newest Member
    kmccann1223
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...