Ulcerative Colitis and goaltending

bunnyman666

As many of you may think that this could be a joke post, it really is not. I have had forms of this for a few years, but in the past year, it is DEFINITELY not a joke for me any longer.

I was diagnosed with this last year, mid-summer. This disease has resulted in 6 days off of work in the last six months and countless hours away from the ice.

One reason why this has resulted in me being off of the ice is the sudden bouts of diarrhoea and resultant blood leakage from the ulcer. One honestly does not know if they are passing blood or stool (or combination of both). One result is sudden weight loss and weakness from the lost blood. My first few weeks back, someone had to help me with my bag as I could not carry it at one point due to the weakness. I did eventually become able to carry my bag once again. 

My insurance forced me to switch meds and I am back to square one with horrendous flare-ups once again. I have not been on the ice since late January and I have a feeling I won’t be regulated and feel secure enough to go back on until Mid-March to early April. 

I have seriously considered researching  what Marty Turco meant by “trap door like a lumberjack” mods to my breezers because I am sick and tired of missing ice times.

If anyone else is suffering with the same or a similar disease, please share your thoughts and  solutions. Thanks. 

13 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

That sounds awful. 

Hope you get better.  I know Mike Mcready of Pearl Jam suffers from this as well. He's spoke many times about it.  

Thank you.

I am trying to make light of it, which is why I nearly have a full set of “Pooper” gear! 

I need to see what the Pearl Jam guy is saying about this. Three hour performances certainly are not compatible with this disease if not controlled...

I know Humira is now being prescribed for this, but I am not keen on the side effects...

I know it’s fairly hokey.... or hippie ish... but have you tried consulting with a naturopath?

i have chronic back back due to my job and primarily relied on massage and chiropractic for treatment for the last 7-8 years.  The last 3 months I’ve started using acupuncture and cupping which has brought great results.  Being a shift worker he’s also wanted to do a naturopath assessment on me as well to help with my overall well being 

5 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I know it’s fairly hokey.... or hippie ish... but have you tried consulting with a naturopath?

i have chronic back back due to my job and primarily relied on massage and chiropractic for treatment for the last 7-8 years.  The last 3 months I’ve started using acupuncture and cupping which has brought great results.  Being a shift worker he’s also wanted to do a naturopath assessment on me as well to help with my overall well being 

Duty belt weight distribution issues causing the back problems?

11 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I am about to try anything as I am starting to become desparate...

5 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Duty belt weight distribution issues causing the back problems?

Yup... our service just moved to a full molle vest last year... it’s been better lately but there’s concern over us looking too intimidating or militaristic 

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

I admire the positive attitude  with the Poopper gear stuff  

In interviews that I've heard Mike has discussed the difficulty of playing a full set.  Without having an issue. 

The biggest insult was that I was back with seldom an issue; insurance played it’s role to save money and screw their customers. 

@bunnyman666 I`m a health advisor in a health food and supplement store and if I can offer a few suggestions to help you out.

Given the meds you took were probably anti-biotics related, it most likely killed all the good bacteria in your gut that help fight off the bad stuff and tame the inflamation issues. Given this, I would suggest you start by taking either of these 2 products for a good 2-3 months: 1- Renew Life`s Ultimate Flora (it`s a probiotic containing 80 billion count with 10 strains of microflora. 1 a day suffices). 2- Living Alchemy`s Your Flora Soothe (it`s like a pre-biotic meaning it gives your colan the ingredients necessary to start producing the necessary good bacteria). These help rebuild your gut flora, could help diminish the diareeha and will also boost your immune system. This should be enough to start with as given the inflamation and irritation issues in your condition, too many different things at once could actually cause more flare ups.

There`s quite a bit more to get into here but i`m at work right now, so I might have to charge you by the word :giggle:. Seriously, I`ll add more later on tonight, such as follow up treatments and nutrition (diet) changes.

And as @cwarnar mentioned, seeing a naturopath would be a healthier alternative to treat rather than the meds band-aid effect.

6 minutes ago, RichMan said:

@bunnyman666 I`m a health advisor in a health food and supplement store and if I can offer a few suggestions to help you out.

Given the meds you took were probably anti-biotics related, it most likely killed all the good bacteria in your gut that help fight off the bad stuff and tame the inflamation issues. Given this, I would suggest you start by taking either of these 2 products for a good 2-3 months: 1- Renew Life`s Ultimate Flora (it`s a probiotic containing 80 billion count with 10 strains of microflora. 1 a day suffices). 2- Living Alchemy`s Your Flora Soothe (it`s like a pre-biotic meaning it gives your colan the ingredients necessary to start producing the necessary good bacteria). These help rebuild your gut flora, could help diminish the diareeha and will also boost your immune system. This should be enough to start with as given the inflamation and irritation issues in your condition, too many different things at once could actually cause more flare ups.

There`s quite a bit more to get into here but i`m at work right now, so I might have to charge you by the word :giggle:. Seriously, I`ll add more later on tonight, such as follow up treatments and nutrition (diet) changes.

And as @cwarnar mentioned, seeing a naturopath would be a healthier alternative to treat rather than the meds band-aid effect.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may have to go to the supplement store at lunch hour. This thing is killing me and I am about to go nutters!!!!!

On 2/11/2018 at 2:14 PM, RichMan said:

I found the first product you had mentioned in my Wal Mart trip! How lucky!

• 2 weeks later...

Updates: Back on the old meds, but apparently- you can’t just pick up where you left off. You have to heal the ulcer before your life goes back to normal; meaning that you are back to not sleeping, having severe, griping belly pains, and running to the loo at the most inopportune times, meaning being goalie is O-U-T for now. Oddly enough, most of the time I am spilling mucous or blood when I go to the loo. 

It does not help that my job has taken a turn for the worse with stress as we are HORRENDOUSLY under-staffed. My boss is a few fries from a complete Happy Meal on a good day and downright EVIL on other days, and does not understand that there are only so many ways to stretch an already over-tasked staff. One of her quotes is “if you use your sick time wisely...”, so you get a glimpse of what happens to you the day you come back from being ill.  She does not think well of you when calling in sick, needless to say. I am considering looking for another job, but being that I have only made this transition a year and a half ago, the prospects are weak. I am seriously considering short-term disability at this point. Judge if you wish, but this is a matter that possibly only rest can solve...

@bunnyman666 too bad you had to resolve back to the meds. I`ll leave a link to a site I visit quite a bit that can maybe bring some light and resolve to your health issue.

And don`t feel like you should be judged. Shit happens (no pun intended) and if you need some time off to regroup and recoup, your health should be your number one priority. 

As for the boss from hell...maybe changing sweat shop will do you some good :jelly:

https://nutritionfacts.org/?fwp_search=ulcerative+colitis&fwp_content_type=video

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

@bunnyman666 too bad you had to resolve back to the meds. I`ll leave a link to a site I visit quite a bit that can maybe bring some light and resolve to your health issue.

And don`t feel like you should be judged. Shit happens (no pun intended) and if you need some time off to regroup and recoup, your health should be your number one priority. 

As for the boss from hell...maybe changing sweat shop will do you some good :jelly:

https://nutritionfacts.org/?fwp_search=ulcerative+colitis&fwp_content_type=video

Thanks for the read. There is a lot of food for thought.

I had the Cat Scan yesterday. I should find what the results are today or tomorrow.

I was prescribed steroids to fix whatever is causing the new symptoms. Unfortunately, I have had one day where I did not have symptoms, as I started them Tuesday. Tuesday was a great day, Wednesday day was a bit worse, yesterday was bad and thus far this morning has been worse than yesterday. 

Thanks for reading and for your support. 

Archived