Vaughn V7 to RGT2

GoalieNut

17 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Has anyone here gone from a Vaughn v7 34 + 2 to a Warrior RGT2 34 + 1.5?  I'm debating if I'll like the switch or not.  I like lots of flex in my pads.

Haven't done the switch, but I've had the RGT2's since shortly after release. 

They're going to have less flex in them at the boot and knee break, less torsional flex, and a much more cavernous leg channel that player looser. 

They're fantastic pads, but they will be a departure to what you're currently in. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Haven't done the switch, but I've had the RGT2's since shortly after release. 

They're going to have less flex in them at the boot and knee break, less torsional flex, and a much more cavernous leg channel that player looser. 

They're fantastic pads, but they will be a departure to what you're currently in. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Do you or anyone else know if the sizing will be similar?

19 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Sizing should be close.   If you can get a deal, it's worth a try.  I really loved the way the G/T2's I had played.  Take a pass on the gloves.  While they're the best Warrior has ever done (IMHO) they won't feel anything like Vaughn gloves, especially the catch glove.    

I mean, that's probably a good thing. Vaughn catchers kinda blow.

3 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I mean, that's probably a good thing. Vaughn catchers kinda blow.

Personal preference I guess.  IMHO, the Vaughn T3500 and it's descendants are the best catching gloves ever made.   Warrior would rank towards the bottom of the list for me, with only Battram and Brian's below it, but I also think the much loved CCM 580 is total trash.   So it's all about what tool works for you.    My only point to the OP was to avoid ordering a Warrior glove blindly. 

• Like 1

For the most part, Vaughn gloves are round when opened. Warrior was on the ball with that until we heard of the 6.1. Given that goalies are encouraged to use a palm forward baseball type position and active gloves, I'm surprised they went for the elongated pocket.

IMO, a circle will take up much more space than an oval shape.

As for feel, not in practice/game situation, the SLR3 felt real nice on the hand.

All CCMs and Trues feel crippling to me when trying to put them on.

I like my GT2 lots but it still needs some breaking in before I can call it butter :D 

For the sizing on the original post, 33+2 Vaughn played the same for me as 33+1,5 Warrior, but I also fit very well into 34+1,5 in Warrior. Haven't tried 34+2 in Vaughn but from the fit of 33+2 I'd say 34+1,5 Warrior is just a bit smaller. Then we can only quess how much has the V7 shrinked since new. With foam core there isn't that much, but all the flexing has taken some length out of them.

Talking about flex, where do we need flex except for ankle break and maybe, just maybe, the knee break? After I got into my Warrior GT pads after a few tries with older, softer and heavier pads I couldn't think of going back. Now I have G5 too and they don't fit as well because of their wide leg channel but other than that I like them too and they are a lot stiffer than my GT. Don't take this as an attack because I do understand some like soft pads and other like the stiffest they can find. I'm there in between for now and looking to experience more.

So if you have a chance to try them, or buy and try them I'd say go for it. If it doesn't work for you and you can get your money back some way then it's no harm done except you know better what you are after in the future.

At the moment the whole industry seems to be going to the stiffer edge in pads.

36 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

For the sizing on the original post, 33+2 Vaughn played the same for me as 33+1,5 Warrior, but I also fit very well into 34+1,5 in Warrior. Haven't tried 34+2 in Vaughn but from the fit of 33+2 I'd say 34+1,5 Warrior is just a bit smaller. Then we can only quess how much has the V7 shrinked since new. With foam core there isn't that much, but all the flexing has taken some length out of them.

Talking about flex, where do we need flex except for ankle break and maybe, just maybe, the knee break? After I got into my Warrior GT pads after a few tries with older, softer and heavier pads I couldn't think of going back. Now I have G5 too and they don't fit as well because of their wide leg channel but other than that I like them too and they are a lot stiffer than my GT. Don't take this as an attack because I do understand some like soft pads and other like the stiffest they can find. I'm there in between for now and looking to experience more.

So if you have a chance to try them, or buy and try them I'd say go for it. If it doesn't work for you and you can get your money back some way then it's no harm done except you know better what you are after in the future.

At the moment the whole industry seems to be going to the stiffer edge in pads.

Funny enough, my GT2 pads are stiffer at both the boots and knee than my G5 pads. 

*cough* wicked deal going on *cough* 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Dialling in your butterfly? If I were to give Bauers a try it would be the Hyper2s. 

I thought the same, though I didn't find too much of an issue with movement with my 3S vs my 2S.

Though I'd be curious to try a vapour boot with supreme stiffness and shape up top. Probably the best of both worlds. 

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I thought the same, though I didn't find too much of an issue with movement with my 3S vs my 2S.

Though I'd be curious to try a vapour boot with supreme stiffness and shape up top. Probably the best of both worlds. 

My GT2s are the stiffest pads I've owned so far and with my narrow butterfly, I can't see myself getting into the pro-fly stuff.

55 minutes ago, GoalieNut said:

Ok interesting.  I'm not sure I will like the RGT2's - I really like the snug fit of the Vaughn pads and wonder if I'll get them feeling the same?

Warrior eventually made slits in the calf wrap for the G5 and G6 that allow for a tighter feel. 

GT2 has a limited customization system. Though, the way they created the leg channel itself has a more enveloped feel than the G5/G6. 

In this picture, you can see the addition of the angled foams on each side of the RGT2 face. This wraps around your shin to give a more connected feel. 

So despite my G5 having an additional option to tighten the calf wrap, my GT2 still felt more connected to my leg. 

20230130_211831.thumb.jpg.aa2d13d04f8b07d11fac2e355f1c9ae7.jpg

On 2/2/2023 at 7:14 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Warrior eventually made slits in the calf wrap for the G5 and G6 that allow for a tighter feel. 

GT2 has a limited customization system. Though, the way they created the leg channel itself has a more enveloped feel than the G5/G6. 

In this picture, you can see the addition of the angled foams on each side of the RGT2 face. This wraps around your shin to give a more connected feel. 

So despite my G5 having an additional option to tighten the calf wrap, my GT2 still felt more connected to my leg. 

20230130_211831.thumb.jpg.aa2d13d04f8b07d11fac2e355f1c9ae7.jpg

This is exactly what I miss on my G5 pads compared to GTs. The G5 is so wide and flat on the shin that while it's there on place it still sort of flies around in a way I don't like. I've tried different strapping setups and even added a professor strap recently, but that took away the whole Warrior pad feel as it changed the pad and not only the shin which seems to be the no go for me.

This is propably also me coming from the GT pads where the feel is different and I like that pad and feel of it a lot. Reading this makes me regretting the G5 as there was and are some GT2 in my size and black color every now and then. But then I'm again having to send the pads to Kova to get the thighs bent into rigid S form to suit my butterfly. And sell the G5 and this and that. Dang.

And when thinking of that I always end up to think of other alternatives like Bauer or Vaughn.... This is endless procedure 😆

4 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

And when thinking of that I always end up to think of other alternatives like Bauer or Vaughn.... This is endless procedure 😆

It's easy for those with deep pockets. For the rest of us, it's often a hit or miss. Too bad there isn't a demo program at every shop or company.

On 2/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, RichMan said:

It's easy for those with deep pockets. For the rest of us, it's often a hit or miss. Too bad there isn't a demo program at every shop or company.

Yes exactly, only way to try something is to buy the gear. And usually you have to wait a while to find what you are after.

But that's the only way to get the feeling of some part of the gear like the pads. No matter how you try them in a shop it's still a different world when on ice and moving around with full gear on. Not to say anything about getting things to break in. That though is done when buying second hand but then there is a risk that previous user made it whole wrong.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:58 AM, GoalieNut said:

I purchased the R/GT2 pads and will hopefully get them soon this week.  I'll provide some feedback on this thread in case anyone else is interested.

Always interested in how people enjoy the rgt2 stuff. 

Haven't had a chance to use G6, but I'd argue the GT2 is Warriors best work.