Biting on fake shots

indykrap

Hey all,

In a league right now that uses penalty shots for minor penalties, so I'm facing a lot more of these than I'd like to lately. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for not biting on fake shots on these, as I find myself getting caught going down early and getting shots tucked in beside me.

I've been trying the breakaway "inverted Y" approach, and can usually pull that off fine in a game when I'm in a bit more of a flow-state. However, on a penalty shot I feel like I get in my head a bit more. Any suggestions or anyone experience the same thing? I had some early luck by not coming out as far so there was less ground to cover when I was down and pushing/scrambling to either side, but that feels like somewhat more of a cop-out than a good approach! haha. Also, it wasn't exactly as effective as properly tracking and sliding/moving along with the shooter. 

Any advice/thoughts/resources are welcome.

Patience, Patience, Patience.

Most guys won't shoot on the first fake unless you give them open net or they aren't confident on their puck handling. Play your angles well, time your backing to match their speed but give yourself enough of an edge to take up room. Keep your gloves forward and active. Don't be stick shy. 

Most of us know all this but it often just comes down to how calm you are or if you bite first.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Hey all,

In a league right now that uses penalty shots for minor penalties, so I'm facing a lot more of these than I'd like to lately. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for not biting on fake shots on these, as I find myself getting caught going down early and getting shots tucked in beside me.

I've been trying the breakaway "inverted Y" approach, and can usually pull that off fine in a game when I'm in a bit more of a flow-state. However, on a penalty shot I feel like I get in my head a bit more. Any suggestions or anyone experience the same thing? I had some early luck by not coming out as far so there was less ground to cover when I was down and pushing/scrambling to either side, but that feels like somewhat more of a cop-out than a good approach! haha. Also, it wasn't exactly as effective as properly tracking and sliding/moving along with the shooter. 

Any advice/thoughts/resources are welcome.

Get comfortable drifting back into a wider stance, push out your gloves and hinge at the hips as they come closer.

• Widening out while holding your edges is going let you load and push off to either side once they commit
  • Hinging at the hips and pushing out your gloves is going to take away any vertical net space

Become proficient with the backwards C-cut into lateral shuffle and/or butterfly push transition, I see a lot of beer leaguers struggle with this

• If player cuts to your right, C cut back with your right leg while loading your left to push
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, indykrap said:

Thanks for the advice @Chenner29 and @RichMan! Both solid things to work on. I've got a coaching session coming up in a couple weeks so I can definitely put some of this into work, along with putting it in play in the next few games.

Here's some video examples.  Holding your edges as your feet widen out is tough on your hips, make sure you get the appropriate prep time in

The method is really obvious in the three clips

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Here's some video examples.  Holding your edges as your feet widen out is tough on your hips, make sure you get the appropriate prep time in

The method is really obvious in the three clips

Great examples! I had two observations on this that I wanted to check in on

1- I'm noticing he comes out, hits a few C cuts to get backwards momentum, and holds his edges/doesn't do much skating backwards afterwards and instead just gets really low/loaded and wide. It looks like more of a glide as he watches the shot and prepares for a push to either move or butterfly slide with the skater. Am I seeing that right? In the one vs. the Sens at the 3:00ish mark it seems really obvious. 

2- man, I miss Price.

Edited by indykrap
  • Like 2

Also adding that I saw some of this in the videos! A lot of one-knee down and popping back up - faking out shooters or closing holes?

5 hours ago, johncho said:

Sometimes I fake bite, and quickly touch one of my pads to the ice and bring it back up which makes them hasten their move.

15 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Great examples! I had two observations on this that I wanted to check in on

1- I'm noticing he comes out, hits a few C cuts to get backwards momentum, and holds his edges/doesn't do much skating backwards afterwards and instead just gets really low/loaded and wide. It looks like more of a glide as he watches the shot and prepares for a push to either move or butterfly slide with the skater. Am I seeing that right? In the one vs. the Sens at the 3:00ish mark it seems really obvious. 

2- man, I miss Price.

for 1 - I'm assuming you're talking about the first two Carolina clips?  Yeah because the puck doesn't move laterally.  First one the shooter cranks it high, no need to drop.  Second one shooter loses his handle and f***s off into the corner.  The Ottawa one at 3m he's coming in at a slight angle and tries a cute chip to 5 hole. 

for 2 - 100%

Also watch the clip around 4:30 vs Anaheim (slo-mo replay around 4:40), shooter cuts to his glove side and tries to slide it low.  Price brings his blocker down and forward.

Here's a really good example of Vasi working a backwards C cut transitioning into a post, notice how uses the backward AND pivot momentum off the C-cutting leg so it flows like one smooth movement.  Starts around halfway through when he's lining up his 45s.  To modify this movement into a butterfly, drop the sliding side knee while pivoting and IMO you want to aim your skate blade into the post so you grab some more depth

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClpUBXqD1Tb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

for 1 - I'm assuming you're talking about the first two Carolina clips?  Yeah because the puck doesn't move laterally.  First one the shooter cranks it high, no need to drop.  Second one shooter loses his handle and f***s off into the corner.  The Ottawa one at 3m he's coming in at a slight angle and tries a cute chip to 5 hole. 

for 2 - 100%

Also watch the clip around 4:30 vs Anaheim (slo-mo replay around 4:40), shooter cuts to his glove side and tries to slide it low.  Price brings his blocker down and forward.

Here's a really good example of Vasi working a backwards C cut transitioning into a post, notice how uses the backward AND pivot momentum off the C-cutting leg so it flows like one smooth movement.  Starts around halfway through when he's lining up his 45s.  To modify this movement into a butterfly, drop the sliding side knee while pivoting and IMO you want to aim your skate blade into the post so you grab some more depth

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClpUBXqD1Tb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This is really helpful and a great example. Thanks!

On 2/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, indykrap said:

Also adding that I saw some of this in the videos! A lot of one-knee down and popping back up - faking out shooters or closing holes?

This is a great technique because it makes the shooter think you are committed to sliding the wrong way. You have to be careful though because if the shooter sees it they will expose you 5-hole. As for biting on fake shots just know that when a guy is close to you because you’ve managed your gap correctly he probably won’t shoot

• Like 2